Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anti Hot Rod & Muscle Car Enforcement by Wisconsin State Patrol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Apr 26, 2019.

1. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I swear that the Government is always looking for a way to make a extra buck. And they fail to realize that things from yesterday's past should be grandfathered in.

GREED... It's key motivator... To replace funds spent on other things they should not have.

Bummer... I hope Kansas and California don't get this sort of legislation.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Classiccarjack, The sad part is there where no funds raised. The tickets were dismissed so no fines were paid, You had district attorney cost, court cost, state patrol cost, paper work. This all cost a lot more than what the fines would have added up to. And taxpayers foot the bill. As well as lost revenue for the people that came out to support Brad. Add to the fact that since this situation surfaced and was viewed all over the internet { over 16,000 have viewed this thread alone!} People have stated that they where uncomfortable about driving their cars in Wisconsin. Which means people may not becomeing to the staggering number of events held every weekend in Wisconsin and our surrounding neighbor states. These events are for the most part set up to raise money for charities , community projects, Scouts and education. So if their doing this to make money { which I agree , they do it all the time with this new tax or that new fee.} They really need a new plan! Because this fiasco just cost a boat load of money and nobody profited from it. Larry

loudbang, Thor1 and a boner like this.
  3. A Boner

A Boner

Good public relations for WISCONSIN.....WISCONSIN STATE PATROL!!!

19,000 people who have read this thread think...WISCONSIN SUCKS!!!

And we haven't even talked about the sucky weather we have in WISCONSIN!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  4. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well hopefully they all do not think it sucks! ;) lol But maybe if enough people in higher places here about or see this thread and the many others on the internet. They just may be convinced to let the WSP know that a bunch of old and young tax paying and voting guys and gals cruising around in their toys and going to events that benefit a great number of individuals and community groups, that they have more important things to worry about. Like the dump truck without mud flaps hauling a gravel elevator with no fenders on the interstate that took out the windshield of my F150! :mad: 48 years of driving and at least 6 windshields and not once was a fender less hot rod to blame! I also wish I could link the pictures of events like the Wisconsin 100 cruise to this thread, just a bunch of guys and gals in their Hot Rods enjoying the beauty that is Wisconsin in the RAIN!! And they are all smiling!:D:D:D lol Larry

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  5. A Boner

A Boner

If the WSP has enough time to monkey with non-problem "things" maybe their budget could be reduced, and the money saved could be spent on serious problems. Like what is going on in Milwaukee. Some of the neighborhoods are like a war zone combined with a high speed demolition derby. I don't drive anywhere near those neighborhoods, and feel sorry for all the residents there that have to put up with this mayhem daily!

^^^^ When you talk with your districts legislators, talk to them about stuff like this! ^^^^
    >>>>>They are in the middle of their budget talks. Right now!<<<<<

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Was talking to a buddy of mine tonight who has been a die hard car guy since the mid 60's about our up coming trip to back to the 50's and the conversation turned to this WSP thing. I was kind of surprised when he said he heard that the charges where drop and that it was not an issue anymore. When I told him that even though the charges where dropped that Brad the car owner still had to get his car inspected by the WSP and could not drive it till it passed my friend was in shock. How was it going to pass inspection by the very people who ticketed it to begin with? Hopefully the WSP have realized we are watching and are not happy and change their ways of looking at things. As I have said in other posts, our car hobby is beyond huge and the revenue that through our events bring into local communities, charities, education and shear enjoyment is staggering. So to the elected official's, DOT, WSP and event promoters and event planners that maybe reading this or have heard about it please take note. Larry

kabinenroller and a boner like this.
  7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

So, basically all they have done is convert the original tickets into fix-it tickets? Seems that they are just pushing the issue down the road and for the moment shutting down the complaining.

8. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well at the moment we have 16,432 views and 245 comments on this Thread alone. My hope is that those 16,432 viewer's are thinking about this long and hard and reviewing the DOT and State patrols in the good old USA and world wide and asking questions and letting others know that weather we are hot rodders, street machiner's , collectors. mimi trucker's ,4x4er's, customizers, tuners, or motor cycle lovers, we are not the bad guys. And that our chosen hobbies bring a great amount of joy and an a staggering amount of revenue to a great deal of worthy cause's an local economies. I have discovered that the internet is a very powerful { good and bad} means of communication. And our powers that be listen very carefully. And rest assure the one thing they do not do in our era of instant communication is to go against public opinion. Larry

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Bob Bleed said that they were suspending all the fender fiasco and briefing that particular trooper on the right interpretation. You might ask him about it. He posted something on IG.

Max Gearhead and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  10. 396/425

396/425

If you Google...”wtf”. This story should surely pop up.

a boner likes this.
  11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Roothawg: I read Bobs post on facebook. I made mention of it in an earlier post on this thread, and yes the charges and tickets where dismissed and the senator promised continued help for us. The problem is still the fact that Brad the car owner still can not drive his car until it passes a DOT inspection by the WSP. Yes the very people who ticketed him to begin with. Hopefully this is over and the WSP understands the correct interpretation and Brad will be enjoying his car this summer. Curt R who has been involved in this "discussion" with the DOT and the WSP since the 70's and was involved in writing the statures we have now in Trans 305 in the 90's has been in contact with Brad through out this situation and will follow up with us here once the inspection has been completed and then we will know if this " fiasco" has been resolved. But mean while cruise the beauty that is Wisconsin and surrounding states. If you don't believe me check out the Wisconsin hundred mile cruise thread. They are all smiles and it was raining!! lol Larry

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, I apologize that I haven't been keeping up with the thread. I was skimming it the other day and saw Bob's post. I hope it works out, we went through some of that ourselves a few years ago. It has calmed down and seems to be ok now.

13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good eye, Dick, good eye.

14. What we need is a informed hobby. Some of the biggest shows this country happen in Wisconsin. Iolla; jefferson; autoramma; Holtz to name a few. Maybe a table with information to hand out on the issues currently facing our hobby would help. A informed group is a stronger group. These shows big and small have contacts with alot of people. People that vote.

Stogy and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  15. the original tickets were fix it tickets. Brad, the 32's owner, did not comply with the fix it tickets. At that point the State Trooper can issue a violation citation for the no fenders and no hood. Brad was notified the tickets became citations, he went to court and entered a "not guilty" plea. Due to the death of the DA in April a May 2 "Status hearing" was held. Brad again entered his "not guilty" plea.

On May 17 the citations were dismissed not converted to fix it tickets.

Our "complaining" has not been shut down.

This should clear up any of your confusion about what is going on here in Wisconsin.

Curt R

milwscruffy, Stogy and Dick Stevens like this.
  16. A Boner

A Boner

Dodgeville Brad has to have his 32 inspected by the WSP before he can drive it, right? How is the WSP going to be able to do an inspection, when they don't even know what the laws are? Or are they going to take a refresher course on Trans 305, before their inspection?

Seems likely our "complaining" is probably JUST getting started!

The tickets are a pain in the ass, but can be straightened out in court. The WSP inspections using "misinterpreted" or made up laws is the REAL PROBLEM.....with much less recourse, unless it somehow makes it into a court!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  17. BJR

BJR

I used to live in Polk Co Wisc. I drove back to Wisc. from Nebraska a few years back, going through South Dakota and Minnesota, crossing the St Croix river on Hiway 8 into Polk Co Wisc. In the 18 miles I drove in Wisc to my house I saw 10 more cop cars then on the rest of the 500 mile trip through 3 other states. Stay out of Polk County Wisc. if you don't want to get a ticket.

dirty old man and 48fordnut like this.
  18. A Boner

A Boner

Bump for the WSP.

pprather likes this.
  19. GTS225

GTS225

*****************************************************************************************

This all just seems wrong. If the citations were dismissed in a court of law, why does Brad have to go through anything else? He has a legitimately issued title, and the charges were DISMISSED, so from a legal standpoint, the WSP has been told to pound sand by the court(s).
    Seems to me that he should be able to go about his business without further harassment concerning this incedent.
    (It does not stop the WSP from issuing further citations.)

Roger

a boner likes this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^
    Sort of seems like harassment, doesn't it!

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't wanna be the guy to crack the crust on this shit bucket and make it stink again, but I have some casual observances that might need clearing up.

You got a ticket, so you were on the road with plates (registered), yes?

To get plates you needed a title and insurance, yes?

To get those some level of inspection or paper had to be in place, yes?

So, I'd take all my paper that got me plates and insurance and, figuratively speaking, say here's my inspection papers, have a nice day.

The only advice I can give if an inspection is truly warranted or required to go further then say NOTHING. Offer them NOTHING. Only answer their questions in the shortest possible way. We just registered an off topic rod with no real Ford parts in play except the engine and trans. Reciepts, brake lights, turn signals, wipers, air in the tires and the horn works. Thank you bye, bye...

Only you have to know the real DNA of your car, they don't. No "23 n me" for our shit (thank you very much). This isn't an anti-gov't rant, it's just the reality of dealing with the uninformed and we have no duty to "inform" them about our early hot rods. The bright side is that a few car guys in your state and county gov'ts see this and say "HEY! WTF!" and fight for y'all from the inside. Sounds like there's a couple but they need to get the word way out. I'm rootin for ya...

RMR&C and KoolKat-57 like this.
  22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

How many fenderless cars are in Wisconsin anyway?. Seems like a waste of time, are they going after lifted trucks with the same vigor?

23. A Boner

A Boner

Lifted trucks are part of automotive enthusiast community. Do you think the divide and conquer trick wouldn't work against us. . I think we should probably stick together!

24. Mike

Mike

Yup, what we allow to be done by our government to the other guy, we allow to be done by our government to ourselves.

25. the 32 in question was an out of state purchase. The purchaser went to a WISDMV Service Center applied for a title transfer and license plates, provided proof of insurance, paid his money, received title in his name and his plates, no inspection, all in one visit to WISDMV.

The pending inspection of the 32 by WSP is a not typical procedure after WISDMV have issued title and plates. I expect the owner will have to jump thru more additional hoops after the inspection to get the 32 back on the road.

Curt R

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I don't think it can be licensed as a 32 Ford. Many years ago I put a different body on a Scout frame. Originally I was told that the vehicle could continue as a 1973 Scout because it had all original running gear but that wasn't the case. It had to be inspected and given a title as a reconstructed vehicle. In 1996, Wisconsin changed their rules for Antique and Collector cars by requiring them to be substantially stock. The Hobbyist class was created for non stock vehicles and everything registered under that class is required to have fenders. A 32 Ford without fenders would fall under the Hobbyist license as a street modified vehicle. The law would need to be rewritten.

Trans 305.22 Fenders and projecting parts.
    (1) Every motor vehicle originally manufactured after January 1, 1950, every homemade vehicle registered after January 1, 1975, and every vehicle registered as a reconstructed vehicle after March 1, 1996 shall be equipped with adequate fenders covering the front and rear tires to prevent splashing of water and throwing of gravel, stones or other objects.
    (2) All fenders shall be free of severely rusted or damaged material which may cause injury or cause the fenders to be ineffective. All required fenders shall be of sufficient width and length to cover the tire tread from 15 degrees to the front to 60 degrees to the rear when measured at the center of the axle, to the top of the tire, on a vertical plane.

27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The reason you see so many cop cars in Polk County is because it is a major meth and other drug trafficking area.
    47 charged in undercover meth trafficking investigation in Polk County

28. oldcootnco

oldcootnco

Engine man is spot on. It seems that parts of "305" are misleading. Prior to 1950 original manufacture doesn't need fenders. 1932 even if it is Henry original but registered after 1975 needs fenders? But it is not homemade. Reconstructed? every hot rod, collector, antique, has been reconstructed some time in its life very few survivors, even the barn find hot rods have been reconstructed. I agree the law needs to be rewritten.

29. A Boner

A Boner

You probably should read (study) all of Trans 305 (Standards for Vehicle Equipment). Anyone reading info on here should be able to read facts, not misinformation. Check out the Replica and a Street Modified sections. Are you employed by the WSP?

30. A Boner

A Boner

You probably should use the word Restored instead of Reconstructed.