Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods where to buy glass ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by putz, May 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. putz

putz
    from wisc.

want to replace all the glass on my 40 ford deluxe with tinted glass any suggestions appreciated ....

2. squirrel

squirrel

used to be you could take the old glass (for patterns) to the local glass shop, and they'd cut you new glass. Might not be so easy these days, since services like this are getting scarce

Frank Carey and olscrounger like this.
  3. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Drake and Carpenters has them I think

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find a place that does custom showers and mirrors and see if they will do it using your old glass as patterns. Make sure they can temper it or you will have a bunch of broken glass. Failing that, try Bob's Classic Auto Glass. Vintage Glass is nearer to you but I have not been happy with their quality.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vintage Glass USA, in Ct., does a good job he has all the patterns. Used him for my 32 with great results.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Cosmo50 likes this.
  7. inthweedz

inthweedz

I've had tinted, laminated glass cut for all of my project vehicles..
    It was done at automotive glass repair shops..
    Down here in New Zealand, it has to be laminated safety glass, (and a sand blasted safety rating etched into each piece) for certification..
    One thing I would recommend tho, is DON'T get tinted glass for the front screen..
    I did on my 39 Chev, the tint cut down lots of vision in the dark..
    All my other cars had ''smoke'' tint on all the windows except the front, where it was clear..

8. 62rebel

62rebel

GlassPro locally cut all the side (flat, laminated, tinted) glass for my Starliner for about $300.

9. badvolvo

badvolvo

These guys have been good to me, and have most patterns already. I have purchased complete tinted glass sets from them twice with good results. The 40 Chevy (unchopped) they had in stock, including the curved back glass. My 36 has a 2" chop, I sent patterns, they sent me nicely cut glass. https://onepiececurved.com/

10. DO NOT, under any circumstance, use Vintage Glass, Lawrenceville, GA.
    I know that you're in Wisc., I'm just spreading the word as to this guy's sorry service, quality and back to back outright lies.

11. egads

egads

View attachment 4292367 Have had very good luck with glass from this place. ( sorry, cant get it to load right)

Attached Files:

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

They want $40 for a door glass plus $40 to ship it. I just buy a 4x8 sheet and cut what I want

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. putz

putz
    from wisc.

thank you , great info.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with Squirrel, there are still plenty of local glass shops that cut flat laminated glass every day of the week. Not those places that have the trucks that run out to where the car is to replace windshields or advertise "free" rock chip repair but the actual old school glass shops that do auto glass along with the other glass work they do. Usually in an old building in the old part of town where they have been for three generations.

16. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

The man at Vintage in Lawrenceville Ga sold his company years ago but I talked to him a few months ago and he is back in business now.He did my 40 years ago and did great but the new owner of Vintage I had big problems but finally he fixed the wrong cut glass

17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

What is the problem with Vintage Glass?

18. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Check around your area. We have a glass shop in town that I use. They have sample pieces of the various tints. They came out to the upholstery shop to do the two rear window pieces in my '37. They will also attach the metal rail for door glass. You may have a similar shop nearby.