Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wind noise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, May 23, 2019.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I don't expect a 48 Chevy truck to be like a new one but it has wind noise starting at 70mph that requires raised voices to communicate. Has one piece side windows, one piece windshield, Steele rubber, all new felt and window wipes, bear claw latches, door gaps exactly one paint stirring stick wide and door flush with body all around. Can't slam door closed without cracking a window open so its tight. Fire wall, trans cover, and even dimmer switch is sealed. Fire wall mount MC with gasket so no pedal holes. Accelerator cable has thin rubber seal to fire wall. Any suggestions or is this just a fact of life with a 71 year old truck?

2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My 48 had the effect of riding in a drum . It was insulated as best as I could just the nature of the beast

3. Garpo

Garpo

Probably just a fact of vintage life. Compare the shape of the truck with one a few decades younger (or older). All the angles get smoother with the years, windows move out about an inch, all reducing air turbulence. Even the mirrors are shaped for less drag. All to reduce noise, and improve economy.
    Garpo

olscrounger and RMR&C like this.
  4. A Boner

A Boner

My coupe at 70 MPH sounds like what you would expect it would sound at 140 MPH! Consider yourself lucky.

jazz1 and 46international like this.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The best thing you can do to reduce the wind noise on old cars is improve their door seals. Helps keep the heat / AC in, too. Gary

dana barlow likes this.
  6. SS327

SS327

Be glad you have the amount of noise you have. Think about it that truck was probably designed for 45 mph when new. Wind noise was not even a concern back then.

Denny

mountainman2 and RMR&C like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

Are the inside of the doors insulated, the roof, firewall? How about the floor, kick panels, and back of the cab? You could try taping the glass to the body with masking tape, to find out if that is causing the noise.

lilmann likes this.
  8. Gman0046

Gman0046

If you want to talk about wind noise, try riding in a 41 Willys pick up at highway speed. With that totally flat windshield theres no way you could carry on a normal conversation. Doubt these old cars were designed with much thought given towards aerodynamics and wind noise mitigation.

46international likes this.
  9. my '46 IHC is so bad you can't talk at 45mph. Wind noise, gear noise and tire noise. On the other hand, my '37 Cadillac is as quiet as a new car. Which gets me thinking, the Caddy with a better transmission would be quiet and the tires are straight tread so that explains that but the wind noise I can't explain. The body on both are very similar. I guess you got what you paid for even 80 years ago.

sounds like your truck is "well finished" so I'm thinking you have carpet, if not, it may soak up some noise as well as keeping some out.

10. pitman

pitman

Put wind wings on my 31 coupe, just to slow the bloodshot eyes! Had hopes of quieter ride. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  11. How much wind noise do you get with the windows down? How many cars/trucks had AC in that time period? Like mentioned before, wind noise was not on the radar back then.

That said I will add this. If you drill some holes in the "A" pillar, say behind the door gasket, and other similar areas you could then fill them with spray foam.

12. larry k

larry k

Are your door hinges on the outside ???

13. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

If you drill some holes in the "A" pillar, say behind the door gasket, and other similar areas you could then fill them with spray foam.

If you do this it will hold water (humidity) and will rust the whole pillar.

XXL__ likes this.
  14. Old cars have wind noise! You can't make old car as quite as a new Lexus. Aerodynamics!

olscrounger and squirrel like this.
  15. If it's too noisy at 70 slow down! :D we are driving them faster today than they were ever intended to be driven.

Be happy you don't have a flat windshield like a Model A or a 32 Ford, you can't hear yourself think. HRP

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Mine comes on at about 25 mph

17. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

My 52 doesn't have any of the stuff you mentioned and it's quiet at highway speeds

18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Where can you drive over 70 mph?:)

19. Put a dollar bill in the door jamb and shut the door. Try to pull it out and compare resistance in different locations.
    I’m betting you’re tight at the cowl and loosest at the back on top curve.

Make sure the door is below the cowl and above the back cab like feathers

20. bchctybob

bchctybob

Like others said, it's an old truck, your fit and finish not withstanding, aerodynamics was not a big consideration in those designs. I suggest a good sound system or better yet, a thumpin' motor and louder exhaust.

RMR&C, olscrounger and 270ci like this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

Welcome to the past.

samurai mike and olscrounger like this.
  22. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Try stopping wind noise in a Model T coupe. HAH!

23. Almost anywhere in TEXAS.

Ben

Blownfuel likes this.
  24. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

FYI most wind noise is actually caused by air going out of the vehicle not in.

As you drive faster the air pressure around you drops, the air pressure inside the cab is higher so the air is basically sucked out the cab. So stopping all wind noise is also highly dependent on aerodynamics.

Good luck but I would bet your about at the extent of doing much to help besides doing things to change air path around vehicle, air dams, side window foils etc.

Just Gary likes this.
  25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Helped a guy with his 40 coupe a few years ago. When done he complained alot about wind noise at 70-75. His other cars were new Mercedes/ Some folks shouldn't have old cars.

partssaloon likes this.
  26. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

That's why the new cars have the plastic and rubber flappers someware on the very back of the body, to let air out.

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wife's '50 Chevy PU had same problem - tried all types of extra rubber seals to work with original style, no luck - need louder stereo - and head sets to talk to passenger

28. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 40 is actually fairly quiet at road speed-can carry on a conversation and hear radio as well. It is as quiet as her 55 BelAir. Had a couple of C1 vettes-very noisy and hot inside-much louder than my 40-could only hear radio when stopped at a stop light.

29. 48stude

48stude

My 48 is pretty quiet . I insulated the heck out of it. It's really not that bad even with the windows down. Bill

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have your wife ride with you when you drive fast, you'll appreciate the distraction. :cool:

BJR likes this.