Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949 mercury vin locations

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by sideswipe, May 14, 2017.

1. sideswipe

sideswipe

does anyone know offhand the quantity and locations of the vin numbers on a 49 merc? there is a piece of stainless over the lower half of the firewall on my dads car that hasn't been removed yet. hoping a clear one is under there. thanks

2. I have two on the upper right side of the firewall and one down on the frame in the engine compartment right side.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

That's where I seen the firewall plate on my buddies -49 Merc , he also had the frame stamped just below on the right outer frame rail upper flat part . I have a -51 Merc and I haven't found the stamping on the frame but my VINplate sits on the front side of the A-pillar and can be seen when opening the hood !
    Wolf

4. sideswipe

sideswipe

thanks. I know 49 50 51 fords are all a little different so I would assume the mercs follow that tradition.

5. sideswipe

sideswipe

If all my information is correct, the "stamped" VIN number should be here. Is this correct before I start randomly scraping paint? Thank you. vin area.JPG

6. That looks about right. Mine is right in front of the first body mount, on top right side.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

sideswipe likes this.
  7. sideswipe

sideswipe

I hand sanded both frame rails on the passenger side and have not found one character. Does anyone know where else the frame may be marked for 1949?

8. Mbartils

Mbartils

So that location is the correct location for a 1949 mercury , but its very faint 20190524_111439.jpg

sideswipe likes this.
  9. sideswipe

sideswipe

thank you for the replies. I looked again and no characters. some fool must have sanded them off by mistake. probably my dad. we took the nose off and he painted the frame in the mid 70's. I guess I will look around the rear of the frame for a number.