Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 392 Hemi block with crack OK to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cocojojo392, May 22, 2019.

1. cocojojo392

cocojojo392

Would it help if I got a cap like this? o_O

Street-Is-Neat.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  2. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

We had one at the fab shop I worked at and used it to overlay bearing surfaces on shafts. The shafts then went to the machine shop to be turned down to the original size. We had different powders for different metals.
    Same basic concept used to repair pot metal.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1D4A8515EFEBF639CBDA1D4A8515EFEBF&FORM=VDQVAP

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Deuces and dwollam like this.
  3. patterg2003

patterg2003

This may work as an acceptable repair? Grind off the corner with a die grinder to remove the crack. Confirm the crack(s) are cleared with mag particle. Place a piece of copper in the hole to retain the hole during welding then build the corner up with TIG using an alloy rod that works with cast. Then machine the corner to restore the shape.

4. Garlits says RUN IT !!!!!

5. 73RR

73RR

Find a good shop that can weld it as-is where-is. A bronze repair for the crack is acceptable to keep it in place.
    Yes, there is a sleeve that fits in the hole...it is a hollow dowel to align the main cap and must fit when the welding is finished.

6. cocojojo392

cocojojo392

Are you being serious?

Deuces likes this.
  7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Very common area for breakage. attempting to weld would only open up a bigger can of worms. That edge is soo thin that it will blow out as soon as the arc hits it and being 65yr old cast iron makes it worse. Knock the piece off, install the bearing shell an get on with your life

Deuces, HEMI32, gimpyshotrods and 3 others like this.
  8. cocojojo392

cocojojo392

Thanks dreracecar!

Deuces and saltracer219 like this.
  9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I think that Dreracecar is right on.

Something to think about is where the stress is when the engine is under high load. It's mostly pushing down on the crank and thence to the bearing caps, very little upwards towards the block bearing supports.

Deuces likes this.
  10. cocojojo392

cocojojo392

I flipped the picture so you can better see the corner of the block with the crack.

Capture 001.JPG

11. Retro 5.0

Retro 5.0

I'd knock the corner off and smooth all the edges and align hone it. It is not a high load area. The bearing crush will keep the bearing from spinning. The parting line is always bigger in diameter then the verticle diameter anyways.

12. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

13. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

I agree with you and all others who have said this. Basically a no-load area, bearing is eccentric(thinner) at the parting line and it won't hurt a thing.
    I would however disagree with the automatic need to align hone it just because you take that piece out....unless there is some other main line problem that indicates the need for the align hone just knocking that piece off there doesn't make it mandatory.
    Get the piece out, torque up the main cap, and check it for distortion with the correct gauges. If no big distortion enough to warrant align honing it, why waste the time and $$$ doing it??

Beanscoot and alchemy like this.
  14. cocojojo392

cocojojo392

Ericnova72, I agree with you. The only reason is I'm running main studs.

dreracecar & Retro 5.0, good advice that's exactly what we did. The piece that came off was not that big compared to the rest of the bearing load area.

Thanks to everyone for their input.