Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Now WTF do I do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, May 23, 2019.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

change to a Ford motor

loudbang, Boneyard51, blowby and 3 others like this.
  2. RDR

RDR

Accel Dist, no vac advance...worked on my 350 with tripower and 348 carbs...

3. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I needed a small diameter distributor for my 1955 Chevy. A Mallory Unilite is a excellent option as is their dual point.

fordflambe, 56don and olscrounger like this.
  4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The HEI I used on my 4 deuce manifold was hitting the manifold balance tubes. I had a slot machined into the manifold just behind the right side rear carb. after finishing it off, it almost looks like it belongs that way. You can see it in this picture.
    I want to vote for the spacer that @48stude showed.

april 18 -2.jpg

patmanta likes this.
  5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

1a.jpg 1b.jpg 1c.jpg 1d.jpg 1e.jpg
    Buy this.
    SPark

Black_Sheep likes this.
  6. pick up a YL Mallory dual point 3 5/8 dia vs vs 4 3/8 for window dist, if ya dont like points use pertronics unit for it about 80 bucks and used YLs go for anywhere from 10 -35 bucks here at swap meets give ya plenty of clearance
    course i use em for flatties and then ya can get rid of those valve covers also..............:D

Black_Sheep likes this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If you want a factory HEI, look at a 86-89 Camaro or Firebird. They have a smaller cap and a remote coil.

8. Believe it or not, I'm not a Chevy guy, can you index the cap 180 if you don't want the advance pointing at the firewall?

9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Unless I am dunk already the OP's first pic shows it NOT even sitting on a motor. So you don't know where it will end up after setting timing. Than a few post down someone maybe the OP said they would have to move it 180 Deg.????????????? The rotor turns clockwise, move dizzy one tooth on cam (meaning you have to move slot on oil pump same) to get clearance and start your firing order there if on #1 compression. If that's to confusing I have a cheap Accel Dual point that is smaller to sell!

egads and 427 sleeper like this.
  10. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like the OP is concerned about the vacuum advance can looking out of place. Can't blame him for that. No matter if it's good or bad, that's one reason I don't run vacuum advance. To me, if it don't look right, it ain't right. But that's my problem...

12. primed34

primed34

Wasn't there a marine use cap that didn't have a window? Could set your dwell with a standard cap then use the marine. I'd just move the dis a few teeth and rewire the cap.

13. Xactly my point with the vacuum pot pointed to the firewall it would look like SHIT !

I guarantee you that just about everyone in this forum if they seen a dizzy with the pot towards the firewall and not where it should be would say what a dum ass

I am looking into a smaller diameter distributor

No you are not drunk... It is just sitting on the intake to see how a air cleaner I wanted to use was going to clear.. After stabbing a whole bunch of SBC distributors one should know "ABOUT" where the vacuum pot should be...

It just erked me that a stock common points dizzy wont work...

14. Grind the cap in the window area for a little more clearance; while there will still be limited room to turn the distributor, you should be able to get it timed right with the vacuum can pointing the way it should.
    top.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You don’t have to time it 180degrees. Just move the wires one space and retime the engine.

Bones

mkebaird likes this.
  16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Bones, Rocky, and Big rat all told you pretty much the simple way.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

NEVER

18. Spacer, Grind Cap and Carb, get cap with no door, any of these as mentioned above.

olscrounger likes this.
  19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:DDoesn't get much simpler than grinding a bit off.

20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am starting to think VANDENPLAS actually has the best idea.

427 sleeper likes this.
  21. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. I come up with alot of " Great Idea's" that way! But, then when I try to execute those supposed "Great Idea's", they don't look as good in reality as they did in my visions! LOL!!!

22. Yes I am looking at a Vertex, One of my customers from work has one in storage... Now just trying to talk him out of it !

Also contemplating a Mallory unilite but not quite period correct.

But will fix the clearance issue

23. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have everything I own crossed for 'ya!!! Some people call me crazy for running one on the street, but I love those damn thing's!

24. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

this is what i used then used pertonics ignition