Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical We talked about changing oil, how about the filters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 17, 2019.

1. I use Baldwin and Fleetgard. I understand people have their preferences and biases, but I’ve been an ASE certified Master Truck Technician for 23 years. The shop I work at (21 years) uses Baldwin exclusively. I’ve never seen a problem with Baldwin. I also use Baldwin on everything on our farm, including our Harleys.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I certainly understand your experience with Baldwin, but, legally, an engine manufacturer can not deny warranty coverage based on not using their own filter unless it’s provided for free. It’s called the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. I could see a dealer trying to pull something like denying coverage, but if pressed legally, they will lose. By the way, when our shop was an Associate Dealer for Navistar, I lost my ass chasing a warranty crank no start on a DT 570, the cause, a piece of the Navistar OEM oil filter came apart and lodged in the HEUI pump oil feed, no HEUI pressure, no fuel injection.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

ladyhrp, Bleach and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. town sedan

town sedan

I'm Probably wrong, but I took it to mean that they were fine with any filter on their product except for brand...xxx

Had an old Granada that leaked/burned a fair amount of oil. Often I'd only replace the filter since the oil was constantly being freshened up so to speak.
    -Dave

ladyhrp, Old wolf and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I use wix.

ladyhrp and olscrounger like this.
  6. I use Wix or NAPA gold. HRP

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

NAPA gold is made by Wix? Huh. Who knew?

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. birdman1

birdman1

Years ago(1950s) or so, GM recomended only changing the filter every other oil change. there was also a filter my uncle used on his 1951 Buick. It was an aftermatket housing that used a roll of toilet paper as the filter. Preferably NEW toilet paper.

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. I have one of those somewhere in the barn, probably worked better than a Fram oil filter. HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  10. I remember before Brenda & I got married her Mustang coupe was totaled in their front yard, they lived on main street and a station wagon lost control and ran up and bent over a light pole next door and landed on top of her car, which has nothing to do with this thread with the exception of her dad going to a lot and test driving a '66 GT fastback Mustang over the weekend.

He took it to the station next door and had them put it up on the rack to check it out, Brenda was real excited about the fastback and was looking forward to driving it to school the following Tuesday.

When I drove her home from school, there sitting in the front yard was another red coupe with a red interior, a 3 speed and a 289 almost identical to the totaled one.

Brenda ask her dad what happened to the Ivy Green fastback and her dad told her Wayman had the car on the lift and he was checking everything out and saw a fram oil filter and told Wayman he wasn't going to buy the car, he said anyone to use that filter didn't take car of a car, three things Clyde didn't like fram oil filters, Pennzoil and me, fortunately I grew on him. :D HRP

Truck64, ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  11. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Why did he dislike the filters & oil. I think I know why he didn't like you.

ladyhrp and Truck64 like this.
  12. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

I use Wix normally and put a strong magnet attached to the outside base of the canister as well.
    Got told the trick years ago by an old rodder who claimed it was a engine saver. no idea if it works or not but it aint hard to attach a magnet as you do the oil change and forget about it. So i do it.

Just picked up a Professional Products Power Filter for the nailhead. Washable jobbie - sounds messy. but thought I would give it a go. oh and has a magnet in the base already so saves me from trying to attach.
    [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

John, I don't know why daddy felt the way he did about the oil but he use to use Fram oil filters and he used them on his cars and Momma Jessies cars, he changed to oil onmy mothers Mustang and for some reason the filter didn't seal right and all the oil leaked out on the way to Greenville.

Momma said the engine started knocking and she pulled over on the interstate, a highway patrolman stopped to assist and he dispatched a tow truck, took the car to my uncles house in Greenville, he checked the dip stick and there was no oil in the engine.

When daddy removed the filter he found the gasket had split, he said it actually crumpled into several pieces and was as hard as a rock.

As for Danny, daddy thought the world of him.

town sedan and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I like motorcraft filters for my fords. I’ve cut several open and they’re a quality product.

My brother had a fram filter split and dump 5 quarts of oil on my parent’s new cement driveway.

Even with a quality filter and quality oil, oil change costs less than a tank of gas so why try to save money on and oil change.

A friend of my dad’s claims he put 500k+ miles on an olds station wagon with a 307, and never changed the oil, only changed the filter and topped up with Castrol.
    I wouldn’t spend money on a 307 either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

town sedan and HOTRODPRIMER like this.