Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Paint gurus, what’s your weapon of choice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, May 20, 2019.

1. I’ve got a devillbiss finishline
    I have tips from 1.3 up to 2.2.
    Shoots all products very well it got better after I accidentally messed up and cleaned (reamed) the little air cap holes.

Having multiple guns saves the worries about contamination. If you can take time to surgically clean it to new between products then your good most likely.

Bill's Auto Works and Roothawg like this.
  2. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

As someone who paints cars for a living I have always used high end spray guns. If you factor in the high price of the gun with how many times a day you use it and every gun I’ve bought lasting between 5 and 10 years. You are talking penny’s a paint job! But obviously the cheaper guns can do a great job if you are using them less frequently. I would recommend spraying a couple of junk panels prepped exactly like what you are spraying next- one vertical one horizontal to get everything dialed in. When I was in trade school for auto body my teacher would say while spraying think of yourself as a robot keeping the gun exactly the correct distance from the car ,moving over the car at just the right speed and overlapping your spray gun just the right amount. He would go in the spray booth with you on your first few paint jobs and every time you would get veer off course he would yell through his mask at the top of his lungs ROBOT!ROBOT! As I previously posted anest iwata makes great guns.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Roothawg and anthony myrick like this.
  3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Dirty guns of any style or type = contamination.

4. 3M just hooked us up at school with this.
    Yee Haa

03CAF09C-8314-44C8-9347-D3A84F34BA9D.jpeg

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  5. Luke stone

Luke stone

I have 2 devilbiss gti's 1 base 1 clear both 1.4 but different air caps and I use a devilbiss flg as a primer gun.
    I bought the gtis as I wasn't a fan of Sata 2000s that the body shop I used to work in had and was told if we wanted anything different buy your own.
    Luke

Roothawg likes this.
  6. jazz1

jazz1

Got a $12 Purple HF HVLP gun, the only tool ever purchased from HF ,tried it on boat trailer and was so impressed I did my boat then shot my pickup in black.
    My conventional Devilbiss/CH guns are wall ornaments now however until now my go to gun has been a CH conventional gun,,,its whatever you adapt well to

Roothawg likes this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That didn't work for me in Algebra II

Roothawg likes this.
  8. KenC

KenC

I use a GTI for clear and single stage urethane, purple HF for everything else.

Roothawg likes this.
  9. deucemac

deucemac

I guess I'm from the dark ages. I have an old Sharpe dripless gun I bought off a friend of mine that was a Matco dealer and leaving the business in 1980. Made me a great deal. I have used it to shoot most solid colors and metallics over the years and it has always laid down a beautiful coat. I don't paint enough any more to warrant buying a new gun. On the rare occasions that I shoot paint, it's like working with an old friend. No it doesn't meet OSHA or clean air standards. But I pollute less than the spray can wizards do in a weekend. I shoot in the morning with a thorough wash down before the breeze comes up. Since I colornsand and buff anything I paint, any mistakes made are corrected. How many dinosaurs out there still have an old siphon feed gun that you just can't bring yourself to retire?

jimgoetz, Roothawg and 427 sleeper like this.
  10. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't trade my Binks Model 7 w/a Sharpe 450 dripless cup for anything! Call me what you want, I call it " just right! " You're right it's like an old friend!

Roothawg and deucemac like this.