Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 62 Falcon V8 conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Betti, May 21, 2019.

1. Mike Betti

Mike Betti

I read quite of few strings on this subject and I have a couple of my own to ask. Someone already started this project 10 years ago on this car. Going to be a semi mild 289.

I want to install a power dual brake master, heard I may have to notch towers, to aid I wanted to also add the bolt in export brace that go from the towers to the firewall. Does a person just burn those original ones off for this bolt in one?

There is an under engine brace in this car, is this original? See pic. Am I better off with the one sold for this conversion?

Thanks for any input.
    Mike

Attached Files:

cktasto likes this.
  2. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

I had a 62 Comet S-22 years ago. Always wanted to do this swap but never did. I don't know how close dimensionally a certain pony car is, but I have installed a booster and dual master cylinder in a Mustang. The aftermarket one I used was very tight to the shock tower. It has maybe an eighth of an inch clearance to the tower. It also has a brace under the engine with a dip for the oil pan. I would suggest that you find a pony car to look at and measure.

3. 62rebel

62rebel

the TFFN is a better source of good V8 swap and brake upgrade info. I've done a bunch over the years and every one was slightly different.

4. 53 effie

53 effie

Yes, the brace is original. Not sure it came on all of them but I have it on my 60 Ranchero. Not sure it will clear a V8 but use it if it does (or one for a V8).

5. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

My nephew has a 63 Falcon Sprint convertible that is all factory and still has the original 260 V8. If you can find a 63 Sprint at a show/meet it would answer a lot of your questions since they are nearly the same as a 62. If nothing by September I'll snap a few pics when I make my annual pilgrimage to the Twin Cities to visit kin.

loudbang likes this.
  6. I believe if you just installed a dual master cylinder and omitted the booster I don't think you woulod have to touch the shock tower. HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  7. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

8. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

True story....

LynnW

9. In the '37?

Ben

10. 62rebel

62rebel

Stock Sprint would still have the fruit jar M/C. The trending Falcon upgrade for power brakes is a Geo Metro booster and master cylinder. If you are trying to build a HAMB-friendly V8 Falcon, follow the stuff our guys have done. If you're trying to get the best possible combination of equipment, go to the TFFN site and sign up.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'm running manual disc/drums in my '63 Falcon and feel there is no need at all for a booster. Just something to consider.

Another thing to consider is one of those mini-boosters from a small car like a Geo Metro.