Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 fORD

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by waynegen, May 22, 2019.

1. waynegen

waynegen

Opinions please. While doing all this sheet metal work, should the gas filler for the 49 stay or go?

2. Squablow

Squablow

Is the car a shaved off custom? Like, does it have door handles? A swap to a '51 style gas filler door would look nice and still be convenient, I know I wouldn't want to have to fill up through the trunk lid every time, but a big gas cap sticking out of the quarter panel isn't a very smooth look if the car is to be a custom. Would depend on the build style of the car I guess.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pics for us to know what you have done so far

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Long ago builders smoothed off our 49 gas filler and put it in the trunk ,that was a smelly pain really. We have now put in a 50 filler door where it belongs . At least no wart filler sticking out of the fender.

5. I have built several cars over the years and relocated my gas filler, at that time I thought it was coolo but today things like that don't bother me anymore, if it were mine it would stay. HRP

waynegen and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

I hid mine under the tail light, but not really an option on a shoebox. Put the newer door on it and call it good.

7. flatout51

flatout51

I personally think all the 49 only parts are what makes the 49 my favorite shoebox. The gas filler hanging out there to me, just like the refrigerator style door handles, looks great! It personal preference really.

Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

F-ONE and waynegen like this.
  8. Memphis T.

Memphis T.
    from New York

If you are building a shaved custom, then put it in the trunk. I use a new style filler neck with a screw type cap. I use a chrome Harley non-vented cap. The filler neck must have, or you must add, a vent tube like 5/8. You just need the tube or nipple long enough to get a hose on it. Run the hose all the way down and out the bottom of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

waynegen likes this.
  9. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd leave it if it were mine. Never been a fan of having to open the trunk to gas up, but that's just me.

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

While reading requirements to inspect/title my new build, I found out having it in the trunk is illegal in Iowa. You have to fill from outside the vehicle, makes sense really. Screw it up and fill the trunk with gas....hmmmmm...

I've had a pickup with the filler under the back center of the bed and it was a pain. Think a nice door or behind a taillight is my favorite these days.
    SPark

11. Flush mount and paint it. No real mod to do but weld it in and connect it to your stock fill tube for you. All you see when your done is a circle in the paint job. No worse than seeing a door in the quarter and a lot less work. I love em.
    20160520_102030.jpg 20160520_102103.jpg 20160701_162952.jpg 20190126_145727.jpg

12. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the best answer, easily accessible but almost invisible. Winner!

13. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Check out Hagen (Hagan) for their gas doors.
    Not much body work needed.
    I have the oval shape on my '51.