Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Banjo QC build stand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48stude, May 22, 2019.

1. 48stude

48stude

I'm close to assembling my banjo rear. I'm using a Winters QC center that I bought from Dick Spadaro. The center section is assembled and I don't wish to take it apart.
    Has anyone made some type of jig to attach to an engine stand that will hold things for assembly.
    Also have any of you built a banjo QC from Dick Spadaro that could offer me any wisdom that could keep me from screwing things up. Thanks , Bill P1020607.JPG

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A friend of mine has a large truck brake drum with a plate welded to it, with holes that match the pattern on the end of the axle housing. He bolts a housing to it, standing vertical, and stacks on the center section, with the opposite housing on top.

48stude likes this.
  3. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

It doesn't really answer your question, but I just built mine on the floor with some cardboard to keep from banging anything up. You'll have to take the one side on and off a few times to get the gaskets shimmed right. 20170307_132439.jpg

48stude likes this.
  4. 48stude

48stude

Thanks Marty, You've got me thinking . Bill

5. Blake 27

Blake 27

The instructions provided with the Spadaro QC are well written and pretty specific.
    After cleaning and inspecting all your early ford parts you should replace the bearing races and seals in your axle housings. You'll have to assemble and disassemble a few times to get the gear spacing right.
    Take your time with the shim gaskets as they are ease to damage! DSC00626.JPG

6. Built more than one Banjo by using a metal trash can upside down with a hole in the middle for one of the axle bells to fit in, then it just points straight up and stack together.

48stude likes this.
  7. 48stude

48stude

Thanks Blake , As I go along I may ask you for some direction if you don't mind. I may need some reassurance . Is that the pipe plug that the instructions say to add? Thanks, Bill
    banjo QC.jpg

8. Blake 27

Blake 27

Here's a pic of the plug. If your planning on using the stock Ford wishbones I recommend a torque rod for strength. DSC02469.JPG

kidcampbell71 and 48stude like this.
  9. 48stude

48stude

I built a torque arm to use in conjunction with the stock radius rods. Thanks, Bill

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This is the only picture I have of the stand. IMG_6061.JPG

11. I bi lt a 2x4 crate like stand and it worked great ! Wasn't very nice to look at but it worked!! Tardells book helps but not for aWinters ? You'll have to stand on step ladder for some of the steps ! Fun!!

48stude likes this.
  12. 48stude

48stude

Thanks for the input guys . I suspect I'll be thinking about this all night. Bill

13. 48stude

48stude

How much gear oil do you add and how do you determine when enough is enough? I thought I read somewhere 2" below the axle. DicK Spadaro says up to the axle tube taper where it meets the bell. I stuck my pinkie finger in the hole that I drilled in the bell and I'm not sure it's long enough to feel any gear oil. Do you have a method that you are confident in? Thanks, Bill

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry I missed this thread the first time around. I have tried several ways to hold the rear end during assembly. If you are going to do very many, it pays to have something like Marty showed. I have a couple of different ways I hold them. The thing with the one you are doing that makes it tough is the stock type axles. The thing gets pretty tall as you add the pieces.

You can do the preload and backlash without the axles in and then add them after everything else is right. Also, I don't particularly like to shim with gaskets. I would rather shim behind the bearings like the big QCs. A pair of honed setup bearings also helps. Using late style push in axles simplifies this a great deal.
    The level of the gear oil should be at the center line of the two change gears, which in your case is 1 1/2" below the axle center line.

Bruce

HemiDeuce and 48stude like this.