Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage "Out-A-Sight" Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bald1, Dec 26, 2018.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Something tells me, those wheels won't have people leaving the bleachers. ;)

Boneyard51, 57 300, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  2. You're probably right, Salty
    I'd guess a good percentage in the stands wouldn't know they're a modern wheel anyway, after 10 plus years of Facebook poseur "gassers" on display.
    The SEGA association does care, and they don't have problem keeping folks in the stands.
    Our promoter friend here has a bunch of NO's to other modern stuff. Why not follow through on the really visible stuff?
    Otherwise, might as well add the ET fake "Gasser" wheels. Why leave them out?

3. I agree. as much as people cry about what is and isn't correct most back pedal when the spot light is shown on their car. a good example is tunnel rams. they were not around in 66. im sure I could find incorrect parts on most every ones car. I get it that the major parts should be correct but guys need to back off some or there wont be any cars that can show up.

Stogy, bald1 and jimdillon like this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The SEGA is a competition, this is an event. Not easy to compare them.
    If they go to hard on everything having to be 100%, it could get hard to fill the staging lanes.

Boneyard51, bald1, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  5. Personally I like those wheels on the right car, say a fender less drag inspired coupe or roadster. On a Gasser or any full body car they look totally wrong.

saltflats and jimdillon like this.
  6. Again, I agree with you .
    I'll have to admit, I was a real whore with a The Southwest Drags. We followed Steve Barcak's lead, and allowed 1981 and older cars at our events. Other than the year, anything goes. If a promoter in Arizona tried to be any stricter than that, he'd starve to death.
    Milwaukee, Chicago ,Gary, probably wouldn't have that problem, I don't believe.
    I'm just saying, if you're going a bunch of NO's ,why not follow through on the obvious stuff?

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I understand were you are coming from, guess the line they draw is not straight.
    I wish they would let me run the modern light weight wheels, I need all the help I can get.

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have to add, that if this to be anything close to a MDA event and operated that way, it will be a don't miss event.
    It's a great bunch of guys and gals having a great time.
    Better than any nostalgia bracket race in my book.

9. bald1

bald1

Mark, I realize the originals are 12 spoke, being that I run them on my car. The Rocket Launcher wheels wouldn’t be my first choice for wheels, but as far as allowing them at this race, that wasn’t my decision. Out of over a hundred cars registered so far, there’s only six that run them. Maybe this wheel rule will change for future events, but for now, it is what it is. For first-timers promoting an event, I’m sure we’ll find other issues, but we have to start somewhere and work from there. We’re just hoping to have a successful event that will lead to more in the future.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    dan31, Stogy, Bugsy48 and 5 others like this.
  10. bald1

bald1

I agree you can put brakes on the original spindle mounts, if you have the resources. I just couldn’t bring myself to drill holes in my rare wheels. I personally don’t like the look of 12 spokes with brakes behind them. I guess that’s why I’ll never win a burnout contest with my car. :)

Stogy and jimdillon like this.
  11. Good luck with it!
    Hard to explain..It'a lot of work, but a lot of fun at the same time.

Stogy likes this.
  12. bald1

bald1

Thanks. I agree with you. It's a lot of work, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Butch M

Butch M

looks like its going to be a great event wish I could come just a little to far you guys will have a blast

bald1 likes this.
  14. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Looks like I'm in at #71. Hope the focus can stay on havin' fun with old iron.

15. Number 50 & 51 here. Lets see what else is registered. 6-16-2018.jpg fallout 3.jpg

BigO, dan31, quick85 and 4 others like this.
  16. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Nice shot of the Valiant gettin' a lil' sideways!

Stogy likes this.
  17. Still snowed in. :)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

0NE BAD 51 MERC and Chucky like this.
  18. jimdillon

jimdillon

Looking forward to the event. Three weeks away and I still have not reserved a room. There must be some HAMBers familiar with hotels that are close by with room to swing in a trailer. I have been to a couple hotels that were not friendly when pulling a car trailer. Any suggestions from the locals?

19. there are several hotels in the area. the track is a burnout west on hwy kr from I-94. the hotels are two exits north on hwy 20. at hwy 20 go east and you will run into them a few miles down the road. the area is a safe part of town. approximate time to the track is around 10 -15 minutes from there. for anyone attending the I-94-kr exit is closed do to construction. coming from the north get off on hwy-20 west and go through the round about taking hwy-c toward union grove. at the hwy 45 round about go south on 45 through union grove to hwy kr then turn left. the track will be on the right about two miles down the road. coming from the south on I-94 I would get off on hwy 50. take 50 west to hwy 45. take a rt. onto 45 north. when you hit hwy kr turn right the track is on the right. or just gps the location and avoid I-94 and kr. there are some back roads but I don't want to confuse any one with that. union grove is 900 feet above sea level for those that tune for conditions. they sell three grades of fuel and they have alchohol. the shut off is fairly long with two turn offs. the walls are concrete for safety. a word for those first time attendes to the grove when approaching the burnout box from the right lane stay as far to the left as possible. if you don't you will be too far to the right and will have to make a big correction to stage. it has a dog leg. if parts are needed there is a napa in union grove across the street from the dodge dealer on hwy 45. if any one else has questions feel free to pm me or post here. I live in the area.

0NE BAD 51 MERC and Chucky like this.
  20. jim If you take the hwy 20 exit go east. you will first go under a train bridge then over a set of train tracks. as you come down the bridge be ready to turn right. a hotel is at the next intersection. there with a big parking lot on the south end. there are lots of places to eat if you continue east on hwy 20. my favorite is mike and angellos pizza about a mile down the road on the north side of 20. there is also a auto parts store a little further down the road.

21. if anyone is coming to town early shoot me a pm. we can have a hamb meet and greet. we could get a group together either in a hotel parking lot or restraunt or bar. I will be around.

22. jimdillon

jimdillon

thanks Brian-good info

23. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Is there any additional info on this event? I received the generic email but have questions, like is there a mandatory drivers meeting either day? what time does the track start running cars? what time does racing shut down for the night? Since cars are being classed, is this just class racing or will there be grudge matches? Will there be elimination rounds, or just exhibition??????? SOOOOO MANY ????????

24. bald1

bald1

I'll try to answer here as best I can. There will be a mandatory driver's meeting both Friday and Saturday one hour before racing starts. Racing begins at noon on Friday, and 11 AM on Saturday. Racing will conclude at 10 PM both days. Lanes 1-5 will be for Class racing. They're probably going to have additional lanes for exhibition cars and grudge racing. No elimination rounds this year. All racing will be using a full tree- no pro tree.

quick85 likes this.
  25. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Thanks for the timely response!

bald1 likes this.
  26. the forecast is looking good.

27. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A big improvement from earlier forecast. Lets hope that it holds

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Post pics or it never happened!

29. ET slots in front, steelies out back. I guess from that angle they look like, well any polished aluminum wheel. Here is another shot from the Fallout drags to set the record straight. fallout 3 launch.jpg

Attached Files:

BigO, 63savoy, curbspeed and 2 others like this.