Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bogus fender law "INTERPRETATION" In Wisconsin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, May 17, 2019.

1. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I and my wife will be there about 6pm with our 40 Pontiac hot rod. Gary:eek:

a boner likes this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Here is a map of Delafield. The City Hall where the meeting with Senator Chris Kapenga is taking place is located at 500 North Genesee Street. Genesee Street is also called HWY "C".
    The HWY "C" exit off I-94 is one exit West of the HWY "83" exit. The City Hall is several blocks North of the I-94 HWY "C" exit.
    HWY "C" runs all the way North of Delefield to HWY "16", for anyone coming from that direction. Delefield is several miles South of HWY 16 on HWY "C".

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  3. tractorguy

tractorguy

A boner......thanks for all that you are doing to try to get positive action on this issue. Our country would be a much better place if there was more grassroots action like this. Let me offer some thoughts.

Chris Kapenga is my member of the Wisconsin Legislature. To even mention his name in any sentence also including the word "politician" is a gross mis-characterization. I am fairly active in behind the scenes activism on a variety of issues. Chris Kapenga is the one percent of the one percent. Do a little homework and you will quickly learn that. If you look upon Chris as "the problem" rather than a path to to a solution, your cause is behind hope.

Remember.....you are trying to explain your issue....instruct your audience... and get a buy -in from the representative. Anything resembling a mob scene or show of force will automatically tune everybody out..... (even though daily we see the media portray mob scenes and marches where the loudest, most obnoxious people get their way thru actions approaching anarchy......they get what they want because gutless, spineless POLITICIANS give it to them).

A boner.....I don't know what networks or circles you travel in, but there are at least five major $$$ traditional fenderless 32 Ford rods owned by very well-heeled people all within 4mi. of Delafield Town Hall. I don't travel in those circles but the rods and the owners exist.

Also......without naming names, don't forget that you have a MAJOR world renowned hot rod collector and real estate developer situated right in the belly of the beast, Madison Wi. I suspect one well-placed phone call from him would go a long way.

Last but not least, Wisconsin has just gone thru a major change in political leadership and also a new leader of the State Patrol, so lots of folks are looking to flex their muscles.

Best of luck and thanks again for what you are doing.

0NE BAD 51 MERC, Stogy and Hnstray like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the Best to you fellas on your challenge for what makes sense....

It sucks to be lumped into other categories by association and it's easy to see how segments of the spectrum of Vehicles get caught in legislation changes especially when someone has very little knowledge of the dynamics.

It is important as many times Regions and Vehicular Laws are adopted elsewhere...

You All have my support...and Thank You @Blues4U and @a boner and the others helping address highlighting/overturning/modifying this as I do run fenderless up front, have no hood and my exhaust is not factory either...;)

5. oldcootnco

oldcootnco

I dug through a stack of stuff and found the organization that helped push some legislation in the state of Wi. Wisconsin Car Clubs Alliance was the group that made it possible to self certify your vehicle. ( bonded title). If you go to their site you find that they were instrumental in rewriting trans. 305?
    The contact person is Herb Buhl. [email protected] They might have some insight into the people to contact. BTT

6. A Boner

A Boner

Thanks.....The one thing I know for sure is that this "missinterpreting the laws dilemma" was started at least a year or more before any of our newly elected officials took office. Hopefully the newly elected officials will understand laws as they are written and get everyone back in line.

0NE BAD 51 MERC, Stogy and tractorguy like this.
  7. I'm not sure if my input helps, but I have plans of traveling through Wisconsin (and others) for some car events in the future with my open wheeled, hoodless, topless etc etc hot rod. Tourist money has value doesn't it? It worries me that I might have trouble with the law, so I might be better to avoid states like Wisconsin. Put up a good fight for us all!

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  8. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Sorry I couldn’t make it tonight. I drove the 32 between Hartland and Oconomowoc for kids soccer and baseball games hoping it would end soon enough. Extra innings ruined my chances. I was with you in spirit.

How’d it go.

tractorguy likes this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@T&A Flathead, next time you may not be able to drive the hot rod....but the ball games will go on.....

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Texas57 and Automotive Stud like this.
  10. At Senator Kapenga's Delafield, Wis. listening session, he announced that the three tickets given to Dodgeville Brad and his 32 Ford coupe have been dismissed by the District Attorney of Iowa County in Wisconsin.

Because of the ticket dismissal the June 13 Dodgeville Wis. Court hearing has been cancelled.

Why the tickets were dismissed, I don't know, a boner may have that info, he is Kapenga's constituent.

I have written confirmation that the tickets have been dismissed but, BUT Brad must have Wisconsin State Patrol inspect the 32. Brad's 32 can't be driven until it passes the WSP inspection.

The Senator also stated he would help us in any other issues.

Curt R

11. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Though this sounds like a good resolution, it's a legal strategy to appease the ones who might make waves. It doesn't change the fact that the police are interpreting the law rather than enforcing it. Now a judge who could have interpreted the law and the officers' actions will not have that chance. The executive branch of that county has "fixed" the problem but changed nothing. Now the man must take his registered vehicle in for another inspection? He's still dealing with the executive branch. The legislature looks good, but has only punted.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  12. A Boner

A Boner

Yep, the battle is far from over. We have their attention.....now it time to have the legislators get the WSP back to where they were for the last 20+ years ! You can fight a misinterpreted fender law ticket with a lawyer in court.....but trying to title and register a hot rod is where we need help from a the legislators, not to make new laws, but to get the WSP to follow the laws the legislators put on the books back in the mid 1990's! Call your Senators and Representatives, and let them know what has gone wrong!

0NE BAD 51 MERC and Stogy like this.
  13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Bob from Midwest Fabrication near Delafield Posted some pretty positive comments about the meeting and those who where involved with organizing it { a boner take a bow!} on his Facebook page. He also thinks the good senator is going see to it that the WSP interpets the law correctly. Curt R says he will follow up on the results of Brads WPS inspection. Lets hope the end results benefit all concerned. But we still need to stay on top this and follow through with those that can do us the most good. Larry

Stogy likes this.
  14. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I know that senator is trying to help, but unless he's using his power to alter their tactics, he cannot make the executive branch do right. Legislative makes laws; Executive branch enforces laws; Judicial branch interprets laws. Individuals will have to litigate against the departments that don't enforce the laws correctly. If the Senator really helps he will have to pass laws that get signed which can't be misinterpreted.

I don't know the parties involved and I'm not a lawyer. This is high school civics and various college government classes. Best of luck. Fight the good fight.

tractorguy and Stogy like this.
  15. Good for you for putting your kids first!

If more people were dedicated to their kids maybe there would be less complaints about kids these days. I’m a die hard car guy but put my family first every time.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

What are you , the Grinch ??

tractorguy and 57 Fargo like this.
  17. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

This was in the Old Cars magazine I received today. IMG_4054.jpg

18. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

shivasdad. You are correct in your comments. No one man is going to change the situation . That's why we all need to stay on top of these situations and continue to inform and stay informed. And not just in Wisconsin, these situations can happen in any state and in any country. No matter what the subject is if you stand by and do nothing ,nothing will get done. I think this meeting and the Senators response was a positive start towards the solution. Larry

a boner and Hnstray like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you think so, then I must be. On the other hand, to me the idea of 'being there in spirit' seems a little useless when a contingent was needed to support the effort to get redress. Just in case you missed my point, the games are regular recurring events .......the meeting skipped isn't and the potential consequences are not the same.

An old saying goes like this..."for the want of a nail, the shoe was lost; for the want of a shoe, the horse was lost; for the want of the horse a soldier was lost .............and so on

Terrible80 and dirty old man like this.
  20. You're in the land of lakes, get a wood barrel back boat or move west with your car.

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In general I agree with your comments......but think it is not really a valid point in the particular circumstances. The OP's post strongly suggests he is a very supportive family man and deserves credit for that, as you point out. But sacrificing attending one evening's games in support of improving government is a valid lesson kids need to learn too.

22. A Boner

A Boner

About 50 hoodlums and a few wives attended! Senator Kapenga at one point said he was a car guy! He also said to let him know if there are other issues.
    The biggest mistake we made was when signing in for the meeting, you had to mark down whether you wanted to speak or not. Seems like most of the hoodlums declined speaking. BUT, also attending were a lot of school teachers with school issues, and most if not all of them signed up to speak. The meeting was therefore 90% school issues. Lesson learned!
    Tim, if it wasn't for you alerting us of the "Listening Session", no one would have attended.....so THANKS!

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have this vision of you all Standing in a row with White T-shirts with Cigarette packs tucked under the sleeve...:D

Joking aside...Thank You...;)

24. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Thank you and well done.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dirty old man and Stogy like this.
  25. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I'll give it a bump. If I lived closer, I would attend. I just hope that Kansas and California don't get subjected to this legislation.

As a veteran, I feel that we should be able to keep our freedom, not have it taken away little by little over time. I didn't serve the nation to be told I can't do something I love that shouldn't bother anyone, most important, doesn't harm anybody....

My fingers are crossed that hoodless and fenderless prevail!!! Coupes are sexy with a shined up engine that can be seen. Especially when they are blown or multi-carbed. Who is with me?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dirty old man, Hnstray, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  26. A Boner

A Boner

https://legis.wisconsin.gov/
    There are 33 Wisconsin Senate Districts and 99 Wisconsin State Assembly Districts!
    Use this to find YOUR Wisconsin State Senator and Wisconsin State Assembly Representative.

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

What's the idea behind a hood requirement? Are they afraid a piston is going to fly out?

a boner likes this.
  28. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I lived in Wisconsin when I was younger and have been all over the state. Beautiful state. I do have a fenderless roadster and a road trip to the Dells isn't out of the question. What I wonder is when the poor guy goes to get his car inspected by the WSP, is the car going to fail again because of no fenders? And he gets a fix-it ticket? It appears to me that the dismissal of those charges is a knee jerk reaction to shut up the big mouths making waves. Hasn't solved a thing.
    You guys keep hollering and making waves. Good Luck.

29. A Boner

A Boner

There isn't any requirement for having a hood in the law book. What the law book says is that the hood latches have to be in safe operating condition. You don't have to have a hood, but if you do have a hood, the latches have to be able to keep the hood from flying off! So actually having no hood is safer!

30. I have sent WCCA all the info about the fender law issues, they have not replied. I don't know if they are doing anything to become involved in this issue.

On April 23, the "tickets for no fenders" issue became public with my posting of an article on Wisconsin Hot Rod Radio's website, followed up by my April 27 WHRR interview. It didn't take long for the issue to show up on the HAMB and other social media. It didn't take long for concerned Wisconsin residents and groups to offer their support to clear up the fender issue. Undoubtedly it didn't take long for the issue to become known to our Wisconsin government.

I have been meeting with WISDMV Vehicle Services for the past eight years as they worked at making it easier to apply for and get modified vehicles titled and registered. They solved many problems.

It is important to understand WISDMV issues vehicle titles and license plates. Wis State Patrol inspects vehicles for proper vehicle equipment. WISDMV and WSP are branches of WISDOT. During WISDMV's titling and registration process if there is any doubt about the legality or eligibility of the vehicle applying for title or registration WSP can do a vehicle inspection. The two branches function separately but there is some WISDMV dependency on WSP for assistance.

After the insertion of the Wisconsin State Patrol Inspectors into the process of titling and registering modified vehicles inconsistencies in the process appeared.

A few years ago I put together a group of guys from different areas of Wisconsin to meet with WISDMV. This increased the range of our communities viewpoints and ideas for our meetings with WISDMV Vehicle Services. As the meetings continued it seemed WSP influence was having a negative effect on things.

We began to hold meetings with WSP. In the beginning things were on the positive side. WSP personnel change resulted in a new WSP representative meeting with us. The meetings positive side decreased.

Current issues require a larger representative body and a state wide effort to represent us as compared to our previous group. We are and will be dealing with a bureaucracy and things don't happen fast within government.

Our community (hot rodders, old car and modified car enthusiasts) believes WSP misinterprets Wis Statute and Code for numerous reasons.

Some local guys are working at starting a large organization to co-ordinate our communities efforts to preserve our rights to modify, own and drive our vehicles.

As things progress on all fronts, I'll post on the HAMB. Thanks HAMB.

Thanks to all those concerned and supportive.

Curt R