Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model T guys...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, May 20, 2019.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

hey guys,
    @Austin kays has picked himself up a sweet little 26 t rpu and we quickly realized we need some go to stock T guys go go to for trouble shooting.

You don’t realize what leaps the model A made until You start messing with a T!
    2E720278-9F91-4CBC-BC50-796DEAC4D2AD.jpeg
    Anyhow, a real human is always better than a google search. Where are you pre pre war guys at?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That’s the first guy we thought of :)

Sancho likes this.
  3. rusty valley

rusty valley

nice rig. the heart and soul of a model T is good coils and a new anderson timer. is it alive now?

4. When I had my T, I went on the MTFCA forum for a few years. These guys know everything there is to know about a Model T.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sort of.

It was a running driving car, then a trailer ride in the rain and an afternoon sitting out in it the coils don’t make any noise.

He by passed the switch and tried to run power straight to the coils but it didn’t make any noise. He put a brand new battery in it as well. I’d think by passing the switch would rule out the switch being the issue but I’m new to this t stuff as well.

My thought is a ground problem or maybe some moisture snuck under the cover and the contacts on the top of the coils need cleaned?

The electric starter will turn it over and I’ve hand cranked it as well thinking maybe it would just bump to life but no luck

rusty valley and Sancho like this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

part of regular maintenance for a t is the timer on the front. its like a distributor cap sort of, take it off, clean it, and check that the wheel inside turns nice and has no flat spots, thats if it is the original style, it may be a flapper type, same deal clean it up. then when clean and looking good, grab a two finger gob of Vaseline and scmoosh it in there. the flapper type is preferred by many, and the best new ones are the anderson timer. good coils are a must. they can be easily rebuilt by you, but should be set up on a machine to get the best spark. parts to rebuild are about 20 bucks, and several places just exchange for a rebuilt ready to go unit for 50 with your core. if you have the modern plastic coils, find some real ones. best wishes

7. Austin kays

Austin kays

8. Austin kays

Austin kays

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Can you tell them what the switch is/ isn’t doing? Might be a way to easily test it

10. fargoguy

fargoguy

Run Power straight from the hot side of the battery to the connection on the bottom of the coil box- should make the coils buzz

Austin kays and Tim like this.
  11. Pull the coils out of the box and check the contacts in the box. Especially the one that goes to the hot wire.

tb33anda3rd and Austin kays like this.
  12. Austin kays

Austin kays

They buzz. If you jiggle the key when you run a jumper from batt. And I think the MAG side is jus 100% non functioning

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Austin kays

Austin kays

Cause it try’s to fire and pop but it’s just getting random ignition from the coils and not timed from the MAG

14. Might try cleaning and adjusting the coil points.

Tim likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

And details on how to do that? That was one of my first ideas but it’s the first t austin or I have ever messed with. Super green on this stuff

16. rusty valley

rusty valley

coils will only buzz when the timer is on its contact position. so, as you crank the motor over by hand there will be dead spots with no buzz between each cylinders ignition time. as mr fargoguy says, you could power up the box, then with all plugs out and laying on the head, crank the motor and watch each plug fire and its coil buzz. the mag position will not usually make any power at cranking speed, you start on battery and then switch to mag. if you have a good mag the motor will pick up rpm and sound happier when running on a good mag. you could drag some fine sand paper thru the coil points, but i would not try any adjustment without the proper machine to do it

tb33anda3rd, Austin kays and Tim like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

kidcampbell71 and Austin kays like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

19. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

There isn't a car on this planet that is more fun than a Model T. Whether its bone stock or modified with period-type speed equipment, Model Ts are simply great cars. There was a reason Ford sold 15 Million of them and today, they are still amongst the most popular collector car ever built. Interest in Model Ts is still very alive and very well, which is quite a statement since the last one was made 92 years ago.

I have logged just over 70,000 (yes, that is seventy- thousand) miles on my mostly stock 1912 T Touring. This includes two cross country drives, several multiple state tours, daily transport and successful climbs to the top of Pikes Peak and Mount Washington.

There's a lot of built-almost-yesterday, belly button, 350/350 powered 1932 Ford hot rods that people think are traditional (NOT!) that can't make those claims.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Austin kays, Tim and The37Kid like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@GZ you sound like a good guy to know! He’s already busy charting routes to get him to work and everywhere else.

F-ONE, Austin kays and The37Kid like this.
  21. the ignition switches can be taken apart, so the contacts can be cleaned.

rusty valley likes this.
  22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

He needs to drive those routes in his daily. Time of day as far as traffic and type of traffic is an important factor.

That's a later T and it does have the improved hand brake. One thing to look at is the gears or splines the rear axle.
    Some of these used a Babbitt type of material that can strip out. If that happens there's no foot brake or engine braking and the car free-wheels.
    The Model T suppliers offer bronze replacements for those parts.
    It's something to research and consider.

Tim likes this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Already doing that. Gives a good excuse to take a different route.

Oh wait that’s me lol I’m not sure if he has yet but I’m pretty sure I’m going to borrow it and take it to work some day so I’m planning a route as well haha

Austin kays likes this.
  24. Austin kays

Austin kays

Yeah I was unaware lmao

Tim likes this.
  25. rusty valley

rusty valley

get her runnin yet?

Austin kays likes this.
  26. Austin kays

Austin kays

27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The Ford Barn has a T section also. It used to be pretty busy over there, but I haven't been on there for a while.

28. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have belonged to the MTFCA for years now. Best Model T Forum out there.

rusty valley likes this.
  29. Austin kays

Austin kays

This RPU was actually owned by the president of the Model T club of Texas before me