Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical help needed with radius arm removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffcardinalfan, May 22, 2019.

1. jeffcardinalfan

jeffcardinalfan

ok guys...dont laugh...i have a 40 chevy truck cab sitting on a tube frame chassis. front suspension is from unknown source but has buggy spring, radius arm on each side and lever shocks. the problem is that ive broken one of the radius arms about 4" from the rear end that mounts to the frame. its cast iron and hollow(at least at the rearward end). ive got the welding covered once i get it off. having trouble removing shaft that is connected to lever shock dogbone and goes through the radius arm and then through the i-beam axle. so far ive just tried a hammer. im thinking now i need to either heat it up or attempt to use a 2 prong puller. i also have no idea how to seperate the dogbone from the upper end of this shaft without destroy ratrod.jpg ratrod2.jpg ratrod3.jpg ing the dogbone. any advice appreciated.

2. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I don't know how other folks on here do, but I treat dogbones like tie rod ends. If you can get them off, fine. If not, they probably needed replacing anyway. :D

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Harbor Freight ball joint tool might fit in there.

[​IMG]

Or a pickle fork.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

All the above plus heat, penetrating oil and a Big Hammer.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That’s was kinda confusing to read but if your looking to get the dog bone off the ends are tappered just like a ball joint, a pickle fork jambed in there and a strong rap from a hammer from both sides at the same time should pop it lose.

- hitting the perch pin where the shaft of the dog bone goes threw, not the pickle fork

As far as the perch pin coming out of the axle goes, there’s a lot of threads about that and they all end in “I got it really fucking hot and hot it with a hammer” some times an air hammer makes it go faster but plan on it eating most of your day

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If you are just trying to remove the whole axle assembly, why not just leave the dogbone and shock attached and remove the shock from the frame? Kinda looks like it was put together as a unit. BTW, it looks like the front is '40 Ford.