Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are you guys paying for Louvers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by allstarderrick, Jan 9, 2013.

1. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Nice layouts. Looks very time consuming like you stated.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I asked is because all the years I've been in business I've had tons of phone calls and requests to do Louvers which only one other guy in my area does. Well I finally bit the bullet and bought a press and I'm going to give it a shot. Most of the prices you posted are quite cheaper than what people are spending around here. I'm not looking to get rich or even make a living off of Louvers it's just is a nice service to go along with what I already do. Thanks again.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If I can be of any help with questions as you get started, please don't hesitate to ask.

4. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

The pictures in skidmark's post are of louvers I have done...

Get your Washed-Out-Louvers (TM) here! ...haha

5. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Thanks. I appreciate that.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I can definitely second the "only when you are relaxed" statement! Also, if you are in the habit of listening to music in your shop, make sure it is something that you WANT to hear for as many hours as you work. Trust me, leaving your work to change the radio dial can be disasterous! I still to this day can't believe someone on the radio called "Green Day" the greatest punk band ever, let alone even a punk band!!! Instant tool throwing rages are seldom conductive to quality louvering...

lucky likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X19,475, especially the punk part!

8. calling greenday punk is like calling kenny G a classic jazz player...

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I hate to admit it, but that statement about a year ago is the only time I have EVER irrevocably screwed up a panel in over twenty years of doing this stuff. LUCKILY, it was easily remakable and for my own car! Like I said, instant tool throwing rage followed by the short walk to shut the radio off, a skipped louver and the rest of the day sobbing in the shower trying to wash my ears and soul and "unhear" that statement... Oh, no drinking while louvering either! Ask "Jeem" about that one!

10. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I agree with Skidmark, you have to concentrate. We built our press on a Saab (yeech) rear axle so it is towable. Thought we would take portable generator and do louvers at local monthly Amherst flea market here in NH. No way could that work, a crowd of "experts" would collect all badgering you with their advice, despite none of them had punched anything other than somebody in a bar. We don't even want the panel owner hanging around when we work.
    As for screwups, in 28 years we had issues with only one hood, somehow we "stutterstepped" and missed a louver in a row. But a great buddy in MA, Brad, swapped us another stock hood for that one even up, as he said "I don't care about the missing louver as I am getting all the rest for free". But you are always on edge, like when doing Baron's deuce trunk lid, checking and rechecking. One of the problems of doing it for a hobby like we do is that you might go a month or two without doing a job.
    Funny the things you louver too, like a guy from MA that had us do the front panels from the file cabinets in his business, for the cool factor I suppose. And the things you can't louver, like the old guy that brought us a 3/8" sheet of aluminum diamond plate to louver for his motor home generator bay cover. He couldn't understand why we laughed and sent him on his way.

11. gjp1

gjp1
    from Conroe, TX

Know of anyone who punches louvers in Houston?

12. There are some local HVAC contractors that do louvers. They do sheet metal fabrication all of the time. Louvers are second nature to them. I have found the union shops do the best job.
    The union shops are lower priced than the non union.

13. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

I do louvers in Baton Rouge
    Mike

14. 49meteor

49meteor

I've been punching louvers for over 20 years, I started charging $1.00 each but have raised my price to $1.50 to keep up with everything else going up.

I also do a lot of work for fabricators , service/welding trucks, electrical kiosks etc and offer a pick-up and delivery service. I don't charge for set-up unless I have to strip some paint.

I recently came up with a way to do stainless.
    have a look at some of my work at
    www.hotrodlouvers.com

15. 117harv

117harv

Classy...we need more of this:)

16. bonesy

bonesy

The curved pattern on Need Louvers' VW and inner fender panels are works of art. Wow.

a boner likes this.
  17. velocityrods

velocityrods

If you are needing louvers in flat panels, check out local sheetmetal fab shops. I have a CNC turret punch with different styles of louvers including the old round top style. We charge $50 an hour shop rate for programming,setup and machine run time. After the programming and initial setup( which our louver dies stay in the machine and doesn't require much setup other than adjusting for different metal thickness) the machine run time is very quick. Probably close to 50 louvers a minute . Also by CAD drawing the layouts, you can have different designs done and the louver placement should be perfect. This only works with flat panels but you can still do some cool stuff with them and its relatively inexpensive. I've punched sheets and broke them up into dash panels, running boards, hood sides, bed covers and interior door panels so far and am always thinking about other kool stuff to do.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thanks man! I strive...

a boner likes this.
  19. metalshapes

metalshapes

Depends on the louver...

1 13 13 017.JPG

20. denny55chevy

denny55chevy

21. denny55chevy

denny55chevy

I have a louver press with 6 dies ( 1" ,2" , 3" , 3" dome , 4" ,5" ). I charge $ 3 per louver . Located near Williamsport , Pa web site wwwlouversbydenny.com

Stogy likes this.
  22. .50 each, Eric Vaughn. Die shape is Kurtis.

[​IMG]