Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical anyone ever think of a fire extinguisher for garage ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Bomber, May 16, 2019.

1. Dirk35

Dirk35

I have 4 in my garage. One is mounted on the wall, and three are on the floor for me to trip over, all of which are right next to the little sensor for the garage door. I also have 2 in the kitchen on the counter, but don't have any elsewhere in the house. I also have one of those small disposable ones in each of the Hot Rods.

The black pointy thing next to the extinguisher is my anvil, so I can trip over it also. 1949 Ford PU Front in garage - Copy.JPG

alanp561 likes this.
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

like,like like.ive 1 large in the corner 1under the seat and I smaller on the shelf,plus 1 in the kitchen.plus smoke alarms any ive ever replaced I gave new batteries and screwed them up in the garage as well.

3. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm also a retired "buckethead" 27 years on the job. Most fires with the exception of flammable liquids and energized electrical equipment can be extinguished with water. I do some forging and always have a 5 gallon bucket full of water. It's good for small spot fires and if you burn a hand on something hot it's good to cool the burn immediately after you smell cooking meat.
    As far as the dry chem extinguishers go it's been mentioned to check them regularly and get them serviced by a professional every 5 or 6 years. One thing though, NEVER test fire a dry chem extinguisher. When it comes time to use it in anger all the pressure will have bled off. Dry chem extinguishers are a one use thing , not use a little then put away. Also it has been mentioned that extinguishers should be close to exit routes. Never go through a fire to get an extinguisher.
    Know when to get help , don't overextend yourself and put your life in danger. call 911
    Unless you gotta save a life it's not worth dying for stuff!

INVISIBLEKID and Dick Stevens like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I actually have fifteen but I collect those brass ones. I have two of those big brass ones as well.

chriseakin likes this.
  5. Rich S.

Rich S.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  6. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Rich S. likes this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It's not a bad plan to familiarize yourself and family members on their use beforehand.

When there's an actual fire - that's not the time to wonder "How does this thing work". Yes, there are directions in bold print on the side, but when people panic they don't think clearly. I read about a house fire that was a total loss, consumed everything. It started small, one of those fabric deals some people use for microwaving a potato, and it started smoldering after it was put away in a cupboard.

There was a full size fire extinguisher in the Kitchen. Point being it's not enough to have a fire extinguisher in every room if nobody knows or is too scared to use it or whatever.

8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two 10# ABC type on the welding truck, two in the shop along with a pressurized water can, several small ones in the house, one in each car.

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

You will have one after you set the floor of your trunk on fire with a 26 Gallon fuel cell in the trunk full of gas and the car in your garage on jack stands.
    Fortunately had one in the car. The track required one . I always keep one handy.

10. just to keep in mind easy reach, not in some hole ya can't get to
    Fire ext locations (1).jpg Fire ext locations (2).jpg Fire ext locations (3).jpg Fire ext locations (4).jpg Fire ext locations (5).jpg

olscrounger and Rich S. like this.
  11. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A fire extinguisher AND a smote alarm in every garage. I also disconnect the battery ground when the roadster is parked in the garage.

12. chriseakin

chriseakin

You can get fire grenades now too, for that situation. Pull the pin and throw it in. Doesn't explode but sprays out a mist that puts the fire out very quickly in an enclosed space.

13. oldsman41

oldsman41

Maybe overkill but i have one on each wall and one on the lift.

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see a lot of extinguishers next to the exit door. I have one in the back of the shop in case I get trapped back there. Food for thought

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  15. Sprinklers in the ceiling like a business?

16. I too keep one next to my torches and welder.

17. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Yes, I have two in the garage and another 4 scattered throughout the house.

I’ll make this suggestion, secure it and keep it from being blocked. We had a fire at our house and since we were home, and had a fire extinguishers I was able to put the fire out and save our house.

Cliff Ramsdell

Electrical panel fire caused by water leaking down the inside of the cable from the meter box.

84197DB5-2B53-4A1D-BE58-80A1A1DD3229.jpeg 29E874FB-2AA6-4E96-9746-85C2E401E833.jpeg

One of my shop extinguishers, easy to get at.

AFEEEBB7-9E61-442E-A64F-C00968DADAF0.jpeg

I used this little extinguisher to save the house.

FC27C82D-0D04-4D9D-B152-532D0A496F6E.jpeg

57JoeFoMoPar and David Gersic like this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Having lived in houses/apartments with two car garages all of our lives, we were amazed at our first house with a three car garage. It was a modern build and we followed it from the trench digging all the way up to the finished product for our extended family. At the time, we needed extra space for my wife’s dad, our son coming home from college, and a confused niece trying to find her way in life.

The downstairs area was the living area and had a bedroom with an adjoining full bathroom to be used as a grandfather suite. There were a master suite and 2 other full size bedrooms with a shared bathroom. The house was about 3000 sq.ft. Some of the selling features of the whole neighborhood were the additions of category 5 cable hook up for every room and underground utilities.

The topper was a full fire suppression system in the whole house. The garage area also had several sprinklers mounted and ready to go. The giant red box was on the wall of the garage with all of its blinking red lights and plot maps. That in itself was reassuring as anything, and lowered our home insurance costs VS. a house without a fire suppression system. It looked nice, efficient and had those ceiling mounted sprinkler heads that were hidden.

Jnaki

The 3 car garage area had several sprinkler heads in each of the three stalls for cars. That was very reassuring and well liked by the insurance company. We had garage cabinets built in two long walls of the garage and there was plenty of work space for any new or old hot rod builds. We even went to several car shows looking for some new projects. Now, I had the floor space and counter space to do just about any type of build. But, as an old hot rod/drag race guy, we had two small hand held extinguishers available at each opposing wall of the large garage area.

New vs old…when we sold the large house, the sprinkler system was top of the line and did not need a city wide upgrade. When we bought our final, smaller house, it had sprinklers. But, those sprinkler heads had to be upgraded as per new city codes, before we could move in and enjoy the house. The sprinklers in our old huge house and our current smaller house, both give a reassuring feeling of security, but we hope it never has to come into play, as everything would get soaked.

Extra: one thing you have to remember, that whole house/garage sprinkler system is a separate WATER line in the attic that is always ON. So, if you happen to see an orange special PVC line running across the floor of the attic, don’t damage or break that line. Otherwise, it starts to leak under pressure.

If it does leak, it is separate from the whole house water supply and you cannot turn it off with that outside of the garage, pipe shut off valve. You will have to go out to where the water comes into the property and shut the whole system off to stop any fire suppressant system leak. We experienced that scenario once and that was enough of a warning.

19. exterminator

exterminator

Yes, have one in my garage and one in each old car.

20. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

My shops a 100x40 I have 5 all at eye level so there's zero chance of anyone not seeing/finding need be, also in my vehicle's

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

yep, have one handy...it is the second, as i used the first one!

22. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

I have 2 in mine.

23. Droopydogg

Droopydogg

I am paranoid by nature so I have fire extinguishers everywhere. In the house, in the garage, in the shed....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger likes this.
  24. wallyringo

wallyringo

Yup i have one handy on my work bench and can use a new one. With a harbor freight coupon there pretty inexpensive.

25. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I was just in Home Depot last week and they had the Kidde dry chem extinguishers in a 2 pack for $30. Honestly, with all the dumb, expensive shit we as car guys purchase, we really have no excuse to not have several of these handy in the shop.

26. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

ABC on each wall, plus a big one under the welding bench.

27. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just finally got around to adding an extinguisher to my shop last month. I'm working on adding one to each of my cars after seeing pix of a guy losing his '40's Ford coupe to a fire recently.