Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Forgetfulness is a Terrible Thing.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, May 17, 2019.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ On top of my head is where I've found them.

2. pitman

pitman

You'll get there, fer sure bro! :eek:

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have two issues usually. First is keys. If I don't put them back in the usual spot they are always gone. At least for 30 minutes or more. Second is glasses. I can look over and under cushions and magazines, run out to the garage 3 or 4 times , then realize their on top of my head or hanging on my t shirt collar.:oops:

cktasto, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Dang my memory can't be too bad cause I can still list everything I lose.:D

LAROKE, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  5. banditomerc

banditomerc

I drove out to the Pomona swap not long ago after walking the swap meet and show I walked out to my car only to realize I couldn't remember where I left it

Sent from my SM-J727T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

48fordnut, bobss396, cktasto and 3 others like this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What were we talking about?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Deuces

Deuces

I took care of that problem. No one has a car like mine....... Yet!

8. koolbeans

koolbeans

Look for your glasses, wife says have checked the top of yo head....duh

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

48fordnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

You guys kill me. I wear my glasses on the top of my head so much
    ,sometimes they feel like they are there and are not. Been doing it so long that's where I look . LOL

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I move a fair amount of stuff on eBay, books and catalogs, photos, and magazine ads. They are the items most often misplaced. Take the photos, list the items and store them in the basement in the "eBay section" of shelves. Every month something won't turn up and the time lost looking for the item out weights the value of the thing. Nine times out of ten the item turns up with in arms reach of this keyboard. :confused:

Bob

lothiandon1940 and 48fordnut like this.
  11. I once installed a C4 Ford transmission in a Fairlane and forgot to put the input shaft in the transmission. That wasn't because I was old, that was because I was stupid.
    Once forgot to put oil in a 350 Olds engine. Seized up....imagine that.

12. ...............OUCH!!:eek:

Dino 64, OLSKOOL57 and olscrounger like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Forgetfulness is something most people have at one time in their lives. It happens at all stages of life. You would think that with the physical growth of the mind and body as a teenager would give us the most in life. But, as young as we were… stuff happens.

When my brother got the gas welding set prior to our last hot rod/drag race build, I was practicing almost daily after school. The metal shop gave me some skills and practice at home was definitely an advantage. I used the flame "sparker" tool daily, always remembering to hang it back on the welding cart near the valves. I wanted to be a good welder and impress my older brother. I was working hard every day and the repeating lessons had their own check lists.

But, as situations go, one day, the flame "sparker" tool was missing when I was ready to start welding. The work bench was the first place I looked. The next place was below and around the welding tanks and cart. Somehow, it was not in either place. So, the practice for the day came to a halt.

I had no idea where that important flame "sparker" tool was, to get started. I resorted to one of my dad’s old Zippo lighters and continued welding. It was hours later that I bicycled to the auto parts store to get another one to use. This time, I put a thin rope around the end loop and tied it to the gas welding hoses. To this day, my brother never suspected that the hanging, flame "sparker" was new and not the one that came with the gas tank set. We never did find that old "sparker."

Jnaki

In the 20s-30s, at our peak physical condition, there were some, but not many mistakes. When the rolling 60s and 70s started, whoa! It was almost a daily situation or I was just not listening to someone across the room. It could have been both. Recently, we got a new sets of drawers and tall cabinets in our garage. We are neat freaks and organization plays a big part of our lives.

So, after cleaning out the boxes with the old stuff inside for the new drawers, I used a lightweight hammer for breaking up a couple of old stuff and threw them out into the trash can. I set the hammer down and walked away to do other stuff across the garage. When I turned around to get the hammer, I forgot where I put it. The last place was near the ladder-tall things cabinet, so I checked there. Not there. I searched for another 30 minutes wandering around the new garage, looking in old boxes and the new drawers.

I even went inside to ask my wife if she saw that particular hammer. It is "her" lightweight hammer and she was concerned that it was missing. Geez, it was like searching for a missing family dog. We both searched for another 30 minutes and again, walked away without the lightweight hammer. Finally, I was sitting near some boxes that were next on the clean out list.

When I picked up the first box , there was the hammer sitting between the box and the garage floor, edge riser, that runs all around the whole garage. It had fallen behind and below several boxes, despite me moving the boxes to search around them earlier. A mystery solved, but we both laughed at the absurdity of being forgetful and moved on to the next box to be cleaned out.

Old age? It could have happened 30 years ago, but we did not have a custom made, garage cabinet and drawer design back then. So, there was no need for a set of clean-out boxes.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I lost my cordless drill last weekend and still have not found it,brought it in from the garage to drill two holes to mount a new light in the bathroom and its somewhere in the house or the garage.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't seem to load it but If you get a chance go to YouTube and look up Tom Rush and his song on Remembering. It fits right in to the thread....

16. Lists work, one on the front door of the house and one in the steering wheel, then you can't leave without dealing with your topics of the day.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

worked on a friends 1940 Ford truck a few years back. 6 months ago he calls and asks if I am missing any vice grips. as it turns out he was under the car and found two pairs clamped on to whatever it was I was working on.

lothiandon1940 and LAROKE like this.
  18. Over the last 2 to 3 years my short term memory has gone away, along with a few other things.:rolleyes:

48fordnut, Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I thought I was doing pretty well with this misplacing thing, But I STILL CAN'T FIND THE "ANY" KEY ON THIS DAMN KEYBOARD!!!

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I accidentally wiped off my bench with my sandwich.

Then forgot and started eating the sandwich later.

Not really, but I wouldn't be too surprised...

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

48fordnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
    jimmy six, Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. logear

logear

23. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I forgot all about this thread

24. I make notes to remind me to look at my notes only to forget to look at the notes. I think I keep Post-It's in business.

williebill, lothiandon1940 and LAROKE like this.
  25. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Seems as though that happens to me a lot here lately.

26. I did lists years ago when I was racing stock cars. One column for car stuff, another for other chores I had to do. I have gotten back to it lately, just tear off a piece of my yellow pad and jot down what I have to do for the day. It really helps.

williebill and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I get so much more done when I have list. Been doing list for over 45 yrs. Works for Me 3x5 cards

jim

28. williebill

williebill

Always a list for stuff to take care of on my day off. Used to leave the list on the couch the night before. Nope. Then tried putting it by the front door. Never saw it. Then tried taking it out to my car/truck the night before. That works, sort of, unless the list falls between the seats.
    In 5 years, I'll be writing shit on my arms every day.... if I can remember to do that.

29. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I last saw him on Harvard Square (Cambridge, MA) in the 1960's - Can't quite remember where - probably Club 47.