Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Paint gurus, what’s your weapon of choice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, May 20, 2019.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a Sata 2000 that I have used for years. It has the 1.4 tip.

I would like to buy a new gun for clears. What’s your weapon of choice to lay it out like glass?

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I want to be a paint guru. :D I just have an old Binks.

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Sata 2000 with 1.4 :) lol . Roothawg , my weapon of choice to lay it out like glass is to use the slowest activator/ hardner I can. The longer the clear stays open the more it flows out. My air preasure is set at about 40 psi at the gun. Sata always recommends about 12 to 15 psi at the tip but I have never been able to get a straight answer from paint reps how to measure that. Atomization and flow out work for me . It is a little trial and error till you find out what the clear your using works best at. Also a friend has a newer Iwata that he really likes . I used it painting one of his customers car's for him when he was recovering from back surgery . Very nice gun but I felt the results where not any better than my 2000's. The last new Sata I tried was a 3000 , not even sure what the new models are call. Hell I still shoot base with my 95 with a 1.3 tip. Good luck Larry

RMR&C likes this.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

You and me both....

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's what I just did.

clem likes this.
  6. Having the trickest gun is fine, but knowing how to paint is a lot more important. Kind of like mechanic's tools. A $15,000 Snap On set ain't much good if you don't know what you're doin.

Chris Stapley and hoodwinx454 like this.
  7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

$15,000 is the starter set....
    You can spend more that on the box.

Oldb and Unique Rustorations like this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

I know you don't want to hear it, but I use a 39.00 dollar Harbor Freight gun . Paint 2 cars with it and replace it . It will lay down paint or clear really nice and I am far from a guru.
    The last car 20171218_134908.jpg we shot before I closed my shop in Florida won best paint at the first show the owner entered.

9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If material wasn't so FRIGGIN EXPENSIVE I'd still be using my Binks Model 7. Just too much wasted product. I have had great results with my DeVilbiss GTI.
    I'm nowhere close to a guru though!

Roothawg and 54EARL like this.
  10. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Anest iwata best spray guns ever!!

kemcclure754 and Roothawg like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ve got a cheapo I bought at a tool sale, CP maybe? Probably the same as the Harbor Freight one. Painted a couple of vehicles with it, turned out good for an open carport and driveway paint job. Thought about buying a name brand, but can’t justify spending that much when a cheap one does the job as well as I paint.

1959Nomad and Roothawg like this.
  12. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

I almost agree 100%. I have laid down some great paint jobs with cheap guns before and will not knock anyone for using them. I do feel my Binks does atomizes the paint better, but the price difference is a big one just my 2cents. Use what you got

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg likes this.
  13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I use a sharpe cobalt with a 1.5 tip I believe. I've laid some nice paint with it.

Like stated above, I like using slow activator and let it flow. With practice you can "feel" it to a point of almost wanting to run and stopping.

Also like above, my step dad owned a big body shop in the 70`s in Atlanta and later when he retired he still painted cars and used hf cheap guns, he'd paint 5 or 6 cars then turn it to a primer gun. He could lay paint and proved to me that experience was more important then the name on the gun. At that time I was painting in a body shop using 500 dollar sata`s.

Roothawg likes this.
  14. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

DeVilbiss GTI here as well, I am no pro however.

427 sleeper and Roothawg like this.
  15. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I've got 2 Sata's (2000 series) . One for base, and one for clear. I see no reason to buy any more. Have had these since 2001. I've never used a gun that I couldn't make the clear run.

Roothawg and 427 sleeper like this.
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Amen.

54EARL and 427 sleeper like this.
  17. slowmotion

slowmotion

No guru for sure here. I paint when I need to. Learned enough in my buddy's shop 35-40yrs ago to be dangerous. Recently shot epoxy primer on a new welding (truck) bed my oldest son just got. Used the HF purple gun, no complaints. Other than what a huge PITA it was prepping & getting this old body climbing around that massive chunk of metal.:eek:.
    He asked me what I thought it would have cost if he'd had a shop do it...I told him "A lot!!!" :D

Roothawg likes this.
  18. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I've got a Binks model 19 that's got to be about 60 years old and still paints well but this one was painted with a Eastwood Concours LT. Got it on sale for under $90. DSCN1199.JPG

Roothawg and belair like this.
  19. belair

belair

I bought the Eastwood Concourse too. It does a fine job as far as I'm concerned. Those HF guns are good too.

1959Nomad, jimgoetz and Roothawg like this.
  20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I used to think my Sata HVLP was the best. Even used it to shoot Candy. Then I got an Iwata LPH 400 dedicated for clear (when I started getting old dried bits of color in my clearcoats). It's a world of difference! So much better atomization, and even coverage! But it does put on less material in each pass, so I had to do an extra coat or 2 of Candy to get similar color/coverage. Yeah, it worked so well, I now use it for Candy as well as clear.

Roothawg likes this.
  21. Really don’t matter for allovers
    It’s all technique and prep
    However, the metallic blends is where the higher end guns have an advantage.
    Water base colors usually blend and lay down easier than solvent. Meaning less skill is needed. ( folks like me )
    I have seen the 3m disposable tip guns lay down some nice paint.
    We usually cut and buff the kind of cars we paint more than the average collision paint job. Thus requiring less perfection on spray technique
    There are no right or wrong answers

jimgoetz, 427 sleeper and Roothawg like this.
  22. I have been using a Devilbiss Finishline ever since I converted to HVLP. It works fine & has laid out some show winning jobs, but I am now looking at the Devilbiss Techna Copper to replace it. I still have my original Binks #7 with agitating cup & Sharpe #75 hanging above the mixing table just for the memories! I just shot the 64 GP a few weeks ago. My first time using Tamco products & was very happy with their paint & high solids clear.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

IMG_20190503_154138513 (800x450).jpg

23. we use the Finishlines at school
    they were cost effective
    work well
    we have 3 new Anest Iwatas on the way. one for clear, metallic base and solid base
    cant wait to try em out

Roothawg and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, let me play devil's advocate here....

Why have multiple guns? I have always been too poor to afford multiples. I have a cheap HF primer gun, but for color and clear I have to use the same gun. Poor people have poor ways.

Bill's Auto Works and jimgoetz like this.
  25. Clear is for clear only. No possibility of anything contaminating the paint job. Same with a metallic only gun. No worries of a random flake in a solid color. Some guys have a gun for black only
    I don’t like shooting sealer or primers in the color or clear guns

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  26. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I worked for a guy for a short time that had no less than ten paint guns.
    He thought he was supper painter but that man could run a flat hood.

I've got a pair of GTIs and a Sata 2000 that have served me well.
    One of the GTIs Has the Chrome war from it in places from all the use. Devibiss has still made parts for them even though the guns are twenty years old. The one thing I do is break my guns down after every use and clean them to perfection, every time. I hate gun f' ups.......

27. Also different guns for different products. Kinda like having shallow and deep well sockets in chrome and impact, 6 and 12 point.
    Heavy primer fillers need a bigger tip size than base or clear.
    Some guns use less material
    Some guys can do it all with a #7 binks

I can run any product know matter how much the gun cost.

28. I understand both lines of thinking & I have been both ways when it comes to multiple guns for different things. Other times I have used the same one for both color & clear, but as stated by another Clean it, Clean it, Clean it & then hope! LOL

Back in the old days the Sharpe 75 was for primer & enamel jobs, it was great for catalized enamel. The Binks #7 was for laquer & I added the agitating cup to keep the metal flake even. When the first urethane came out ( I believe it was called Starthane) I was using the Binks for color & the Sharpe for Clear.

The comment about running a flat hood reminded me about my conversation with Tammy from Tamco about their high solids clear. She said be careful as I was used to Duponts high solids clear & that hers had a much higher solids content! My response was....I have a large razor to cut it loose from the floor if needed!!!!!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Roothawg and 427 sleeper like this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

I break my Sata down every time I use it. It's something I have always done. It's always ready to go for the next batch. With that said, it would be nice not to have to break it down between base and clear. That's what started this thread....I need a nice clear gun .