Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 50 Ford Shoebox failure of the broken dreams, 18 of 20

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kickstarter, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Since my 54 Ford didn’t sell, I thought why not pick up this 50 Shoebox shell with a questionable chop started on it and rob the engine and trans out of the 54 for it. Sounds like a good plan, right?

The chop is going to need a bit of help and anyone that has done one, I’m open to suggestions on how to fix, finish this one.

Right now I’m just getting all the dirt and junk out of it and getting it ready for the Y-Block swap.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Attached Files:

2. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Scraped a bunch of factory undercoat out today and the floors look really good. Some of the undercoat was over two inches thick!

I also made a wood template to push[​IMG] the roof back into shape and thought about the rear window placement. The consensus so far is it needs to be moved towards the back and a filler panel made to join it to the roof at the top.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Jalopy Joker and stanlow69 like this.
  3. JOFA

JOFA

I'll be Following your build, I'm working on my similar 50 project thats in equally rough shape but the roof isn't chopped.... Yet
    Good luck

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I like the roof forward--

5. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Thanks. I've never done a chop before, so it's going to be a learning process. This is just a rolling shell at the moment, so I'm going to need lots of parts or a parts car. Hopefully your car is complete.

6. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I like them both ways, but I do think the window needs to slide back a few inches anyway. I'm going to cut the tack welds and move it around and see what looks best.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  7. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Picked up a Hurst engine mount for the Y-Block, this should make it easy to drop the engine in, I hope.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Bacon

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

'51 that had years back - some 51- May - 2013 006 (Small).jpg 51- May - 2013 009 (Small).jpg '51 with Hood 2 001 (Small).jpg '51 More-7 016.jpg '51 more 4 001 (Small).jpg one chopped it before I got it - pic is just something to stare/compare as to what you are trying to do

quick85 and Kickstarter like this.
  9. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Jalopy Joker, Thanks for the pics, and I definitely need to get some skirts!

10. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

This is going to be a pretty exciting update! Not really, but I did get one more piece that I needed to put the Y-Block in.[​IMG]

Sent from my rotary phone using SPAM

11. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I didn't like the placement of the rear window, so I cut it back out, moved it back a couple of inches and raised the back about 3/4 of an inch. I want the panel between the trunk and window to have a slight curve in it instead of just flat. I think little things like that can make all the difference when all done.[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

A few days without rain so I rolled it out of the shop to check the profile. I moved the window back another inch and I think I like it now. Time to tack it in and start making the filler panels. If anyone has a parts car somewhat near NC, I'm looking for one.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.[​IMG]

F&J and japchris like this.
  13. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

The window is tacked back in and I started on the lower filler panel, and hope to have that in this weekend. I also picked up a four door parts car to get the dash, column and a bunch of other parts I was missing.

Sent from my bathroom using flush. [​IMG][​IMG]

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  14. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great..it flows nice..keep us updated

Kickstarter likes this.
  15. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

First panel tacked in. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I should get a bit more done.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.[​IMG]

16. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Thanks, this is the first chop I've worked on, so it's sort of learn as I go.

17. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I didn't have much time, but I did get a few parts out of the rusty parts car today.

Sent iPad my H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  18. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

IMG_3492.JPG IMG_3489.JPG The Y-Block is out of the 54! Time to steam clean it and then test fit it in the 50. It put up a good fight but I got it out just before the rain started. If anyone wants a 54 four door with a good title, I've got one less engine and trans.

iPad sent H.A.M.B to my phone

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  19. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Before a visit with the steam cleaner and after, grease is all gone and ready to go on the stand to swap the oil pan and timing cover out to see if this will fit.

IMG_3514.JPG IMG_3513.JPG IMG_3512.JPG IMG_3511.JPG

Taken from your iPad using the C.L.A.M.B.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  20. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I managed to get a little more time in at the shop and made a bit more progress on the top. I also got lucky and scored a signed Jason Jesse deck with a chopped Shoebox.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ZZ Top Chop likes this.
  21. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I remember Jason was the skater profile in Transworld magazine, late 80's maybe early 90's. He listed his home address so we could write him, sure enough a couple months later I received a letter back with stickers. I still have them.

22. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Very cool. Looking forward to watching you make your way through this project.

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Thanks! It slow going, but I can finally get to the shop and work on my projects now.

24. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Thanks! It's slowly getting there.

25. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Thats one of the things I've always liked about skating, it doesn't matter if you're a pro or you just learned a simple trick you've been trying, if you're really into it everyone is stoked when you land one!

26. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

for sure, was for sure a brotherhood in skating, sorta like hotrods, but better I think. We always met new friends in every town we skated. Or enemies (cops), HA!. Wonder where Caballero is, hasn't been on the Hamb, like forever