Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Remember the products on the shelf at your local gas station?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 20, 2019.

1. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I so remember that commercial!

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  2. I vividly remember the station I worked at had a cooler with ice cream sandwiches and fudgesicles. HRP

tommyd, Deuces and Truck64 like this.
  3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I'll bet you do. That's because you were double dipping!!!

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. On those Dog Days of summer I probably did. HRP

OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.
  5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D And do I remember what kind of bee that hung around a filling station?Of course I do.An"Esso Bee":rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

6. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I remember my parents had a bunch of these. th.jpg

els, Montana1, tommyd and 5 others like this.
  7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I remember licking a bunch of these and sticking them in the books, ready to be redeemed for some new decor items for the home!

weps, HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  8. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

LoL me too.

9. toml24

toml24

For a very short time in the mid 1960's my dad owned a Shell Gas Station within walking distance of our house and on a number of visits by myself as an 8/9 year old I was given full access to the soda pop vending machine and this is where I developed my love for VERNORS GINGER ALE. Those were the days!
    1965-Vernors bottle-TALL-LARGE-BORDER.jpg

Montana1, tommyd, williebill and 2 others like this.
  10. I had a Sunoco station in late 60's. We kept all three blends of oil on a shelf. There was also lighter fluid, butane lighter fluid, Bardahl, Bars Leak, 3 N 1 Oil, and Tube repair kits. Then there was washer fluid, Deiser Spray, Scrapers, Air fresheners, and other helpful interior accessories. We went "big time" and purchased our own Pepsi machine. We neatly cut the shelfs so it would be seen as you walked in the front door. We controlled what went in it. I think it had six buttons. We had Pepsi in 3 buttons, Orange, 7 UP, and Miller High Life. The Miller one was permanently empty according to the light. Only our special customers knew of the last button. It was labeled Canada Dry I think. LOL

11. Candy in glass jars at my local independent gas station. Dispensed into little brown paper sacks
    Chappy

12. Toms snacks in glass jars.

[​IMG]

13. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Everyone had nicknames at the station, I worked with Monkey, Rat & Garbage. One slow summer day we were playing hide and seek. I hid in the outdoor ice chest, and the lid slammed shut!
    I heard the air "ding-ding" bell. A customer!..Monkey was waiting on them. Then I heard a quarter drop in...thank God! Freedom, although nice in there on a hot day. I quickly grabbed a bag of ice, handed it to customer on my way out.
    She screamed then laughed like crazy.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

14. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Peanut patties and Chick-O-Sticks!

weps, tommyd and Deuces like this.
  15. Oilguy

Oilguy

Part of my Standard/Chevron/Atlas collection.

Attached Files:

16. The station I worked at still had the pump's with the little propeller that spun when you were pumping gas and there was no such thing as self service. HRP

[​IMG]

17. I worked for a full service Shamrock station 1965 to 1968. The uniforms were bright green including the pants and cap. Besides all the automotive stuff, we sold milk in gallon jugs. For a while they gave away dishes with fill ups. If there was anyone that did not want their dish, I stashed it away. By the end of the year I had a complete set for my Mother's Christmas present.

18. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

That was the old has station joke back then..."Where's Bob? He's pumping Ethel in the rear".

BJR and Deuces like this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Flying "A" station, Fullerton, CA: 20190523_135223.jpg 20190523_135257.jpg 20190523_135333.jpg

21. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

Worked at a Clark station, we would have hundreds of cases of 10 oz. Coke and Pepsi for sale in the summer. If you bought a case of coke you got 2 coke glasses. We had 2 big cigarette boxes at the gas islands would sell around 1000 packs a day. Sold ice and milk. Full service no canopy pumped gas in the rain snow,

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Cool. I have a vintage Vernors ginger ale cooler.

Deuces and 3W JOHN like this.
  23. These memories are why some HAMBers dedicate a few shelves to oil cans n signs, or build a "pretend" gas station of their favorite brand. Brings those great old memories back in an instant!
    For me, it's Signal Oil and Gas of the fifties.

gas pumper, Deuces and 3W JOHN like this.
  24. Around '49/'50, Coke (aka "soda pop") wasn't sold out of machines. It was sold out of those double hinge top coolers with about 6" of ice water in 'em. About '51/'52, they started using these almost machines with the bottles hanging by their necks in slotted tracks in similar coolers, still with ice water. You had to slide the bottles along the tracks, working your way to the corner, to pull the bottle up through a flip gate. One nickel got you one bottle. You couldn't sneak another bottle out unless you put another nickel in the coin slot.

I recall buying tire patch kits, like in the opening post, at Western Auto. Remember lighting the back of the patch and "vulcanizing" it right on to the tube?

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  25. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Do you recall the Hy Finn character starring in Chevron's ad campaign? In a couple of billboard ads, he touted Chevron for "making '59 cars go like sixty!", and "Chevron gas will fill any shape tank!". Some other map covers and posters:

1960s-NEW-YORK-ROAD-MAP-CHEVRON-OIL-GAS.jpg 9499744702_1c27e6baef_b.jpg chevron_aliens.jpg download.jpg s-l225.jpg s-l300 (1).jpg s-l300.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  26. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

WOW!!!!!

27. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I worked at Exxon Station , we had all the goodies . I remember all oil and antifreeze in metal containers . Use the same can opening spout to pour either out . 1 gal of antifreeze = $1.00

28. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

This thread is great! As Bob Hope said "Thanks for the memories".
    We burned trash around back of the station, paper sided oil cans, etc. One day it got out of hand and caught a small shed nearby on fire where owner stored used tires. Owner was chewing me out as he was spraying water on it. I said you have insurance on it don't you? That's right he said then tossed a can of gas on it.
    He got a good settlement.
    Another time a guy came in, needing to borrow a four way lug wrench. I was alone, owner didn't loan tools...but guy was desperate, had a flat. So I got our crummiest one and a $20 deposit, had him sign a ticket bring back within 2 days or lose deposit.
    We never saw the guy again.
    I picked up a nice new one at the parts store $9..."Well done my son" owner said.

weps, Deuces, Truck64 and 2 others like this.
  29. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

remember the presidential coins shell gave away with a gas purchase?

i.rant, tommyd, Deuces and 1 other person like this.