Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Remember the products on the shelf at your local gas station?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 20, 2019.

1. How about this one? HRP

il_794xN.1644469460_4isb.jpg

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

When I was a kid I bought a package of HALLS at the DX station thinking they were candy. Boy was I disappointed.

LOU WELLS, Woogeroo, Montana1 and 2 others like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Use to get those Shell glasses with a certain amount of gas and free maps. I faintly remember getting a tigers tail from one.

HOTRODPRIMER, Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.

4. williebill

williebill

All I remember is the rubber machines in the bathroom of the Direct station. Guess I thought that quarter would help me get laid when I was a 14 year old virgin. Thanks to extremely low standards, I was buying them for a reason from age 15 on.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

My town was so small we didn't have rubber machines.:D He k we still had farms using teams of horses.

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  6. Slopok

Slopok

As a kid I never could understand why the balloons were always sold out of a machine in the washroom?o_O:confused:;)

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

A roll of Packard 440 plug wire sitting on the shelf..Glass bottle oil with pour spout..Alcohol antifreeze...Outside Kerosene tank with one gallon pump..

williebill, HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The Smith Bros. cough drops tasted like cherry candy to me, perfect for in-class use. I was a campus radical in grade school!

HOTRODPRIMER, Deuces and Texas57 like this.
  9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I remember we got a set of steak knives from somebody, and a couple Christmas Carol LP vinyl record albums from Firestone. We didn't get steak very often, but we listened to the Christmas carols every year for a long time.

10. Hahaha...I grew up in a nice neighborhood F92FE835-2BC2-4780-92FB-761A14B7D3CC.jpeg

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Remember later years (1960-) Justice Bros. Transmission sealer additive? Had a coin in the can, for 'points'. Added up to some nice prizes...
    Bar's Leak, #1 Permatex in can; #2 in the tube.
    Yes! Shell steak knives...They were a favorite. A week after we were giving them out a guy stabbed his commonlaw wife with one, Headlined the 6:00 news.
    S&H Green stamps, Blue Chip stamps!
    Tiger tail was an ENCO (Energy Co.) product, Humble Oil Co., Texas. (Parent company was Standard of New Jersey!)

HOTRODPRIMER, Jalopy Joker and Deuces like this.
  12. FREE road maps inside, but my best memory of the old gas station I worked at was the car load of mini-skirted girls that wanted their windshield cleaned..........and all the giggling they were doing as I was shown what colors their panties were.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  13. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

As a teenager I got a job at a local service station. Never a dull moment. I made $1.25/hr., $1.50 after six months. 1970. He had a small car lot, mostly cars mid-late 60s. It was a full service station so did it all, tires, brakes, tune ups, etc. Owner had a wrecker, tank truck, lots of equipment. I learned a lot and so many great memories.
    Imagine...customer may buy $2/gas...but we would check tire pressure, oil, coolant, washer, wash windshield, check belts, hoses. Most fun job I ever had, get to drive one of the for sale cars like the '68 440 4spd. Roadrunner, '67 fastback Mustang, '68 Nova, or his brand new '70 Ford pickup (352 3 on tree as I remember).
    I bought my first car there which I still have. '66 Rambler American 6cyl 3 on tree. $600 (took a long time to pay for it!).
    Thanks for the memories![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Those were for people who couldn't roll. That's what I heard anyway.

16. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I prefer the Zig-Zag whites myself.... :cool:

17. Atlas chrome polish... still the best one I ever used.

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Esso in Canada (Ontario , anyways ) gave away the tiger tail. "Put a tiger in your tank"

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My great uncle ran a country store gas station. Had normal canned goods and some fresh meats in the cooler. Loved the stick bologna, don’t know what brand it was but I’ve never had any like it since. When you opened the screen door and stepped inside, there was a certain smell that would hit you, a blend of the old wood and groceries and maybe a few of the dead peckers sitting there playing checkers. Not a stink, just a pleasant scent. I’ve only smelled that scent one time since his store burned down, I stopped at a small store on a two lane state road somewhere in North Carolina. It brought back memories from my childhood and that old store of my great uncles. New stores just ain’t got it, too sterile.

wicarnut, HOTRODPRIMER and williebill like this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

I remember dad taking me to a BP gas station in Australia back it '69.... They were giving away paper cutouts of the lunar lander from the NASA moon landing..... Anyone remember those??? Did they have those here in the States as well???

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Low standards by who? Her or you? LOL

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Up here ESSO had the Tiger in your Tank tails, Gulf, formerly BA, had interlocking horseshoes for a kick in you gas around the time of the early Mustangs, everyone had great maps, but Shell where my dad bought always had glasses and more glasses. Never saw some of the cool toys that were given away in the states though.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. williebill

williebill

No standards by either. Had many dry times later, but high school was fun. Sadly, many of them were like mopeds, though.

HOTRODPRIMER and Automotive Stud like this.
  24. The one thing I remember like it was yesterday are the colored float balls on the clear glass cups on a 60's gas pump.
    Always captured my attention.
    Makes me want a bag of chips & a Coke.
    Can you say Road trip?

25. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I had a 49 Studebaker P.U. flat 6 used more oil than gas , I would buy the Bulk oil 29 cent quarts in glass bottles @ Simas Bros. Station . amazes me how prices have escalated

26. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I remember the Texaco station across the street from my elementary School .. 1968 to 75 . Probably built in the late 30s ,building is still there but its now some run down repair shop. I remember it in all it's Texaco finery ,old pumps, cool ceramic texaco door knobs and fake stonework. It had an old coke machine out front , the kind where you opened the lid and pulled your soda out of it's slot after inserting your 10 cents... But best of all when you went into the small customer waiting area there were rows of shelves with texaco tanker trucks and all other types of texaco collectables dating back to the 30s. I can still remember the smells and sounds of the place like the constant dinging of the bell when the cars pulled in for gas;)

27. sunbeam

sunbeam

Phillips 66 sold a prewax cleaner that was great.

28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Gotta have a big heavy wooden door, with a bell that chimes when open, and very important, creaky wooden floors.

Rex_A_Lott, Montana1, tommyd and 2 others like this.
  29. *JW*

*JW*

Does anyone remember the Gulf No Nox commercial from 1968?

Tooth, dana barlow, Montana1 and 2 others like this.