Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Photoshop help on wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, May 19, 2019.

1. could I maybe bother one of you photoshop fellas for a minute to help me out here?

I’d like to put a set of American racing TTO’s on the rear and some of those 10 spokes (ET) wheels up front. (Any grey center spoke wheel picture will get the idea)

Attached Files:

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

forget the spokes, would look better with torq thrust all around. jmo chrome steelies looked good in your avatar

clem likes this.
  4. Stogy likes this.

5. Those are not even the same wheels. The wider ones in the avatar is what I currently own. Those black ones are also chrome steelies. Sold the rears tho to get the wider ones that is on now. The front chrome steelies look not so good to me. The rears being deep don’t look so bad.

I MAY keep the wide chrome in the rear but with radials,and just put spokes up front

6. I offed the slicks in favor of some legal radials,but the front wheels just don’t look right to me.

(I will not run bias tires I’m only looking to change wheels)

Attached Files:

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like traditional/vintage chromed reverse, are those a tribute/inspired modern offering...I mean to me they look a little smooth...maybe that's what is putting you off?

8. They are smoothies,I run some cones in them but I just am not a chrome guy I think. My car has a good little bit of aluminum (my interior is majorly aluminum)

It’s not that I don’t like the wheel itself,I just think they don’t look right on this car. I’m also not a whitewall guy either

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just went through Hamber Bass's 29 Coupe build and he chromed some original vintage steel wheels running blackwalls...the look is totally traditional and hard to beat but if you want aluminum mags its a sixties look so yeah that's a real game changer in the looks department and of course a personal one...

Bass's Thread below and a link to a shot with those Chromies...;)...this fellas talent is amazing...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/build-the-bass-coupe-build.104217/page-2#post-1209057

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  10. My car is 60’s inspired-ish, but its Proportions are just slightly more aggressive I guess.

I am just wanting to get a little less ‘clean’ look and more of a aggressive feel. I have no desire to paint the car With real paint. I’d guess the chrome would look better if the car was black but..I only rattle can this thing!

Bass’ car is in another league. I just drive an old beat up hotrod

Stogy likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...No Bias Huh?...:(...don't worry I won't try to convince you...I prefer them myself...So I swapped out the front rim with I think a more traditional reverse and perhaps those Cones/Caps you are running make them too pretty...I made another change no pressure but I will see if you notice...;)

Wheel_Change3.jpg

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wheel_Change2.jpg

;)

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yes to the chromies w/o caps.
    Yes to Torque thrusts w as cast spokes (preferably originals vs. modern day castings).
    Yes on the raised headlights!
    No on the 10 spoke ET's.

F&J and Stogy like this.
  14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Seems people have lost their ability to imagination things anymore ?
    Now with what phones can do, folks won't even have to get out of bed...well, for most things..!

Mike

Stogy likes this.
  15. Wow thanks for the post!

I built the whole car without photoshop. Does that count?

Stogy likes this.

16. I’m thinking it’s just the chrome in general that I’m tired of. Like you mentioned has a too pretty feel I think

Stogy likes this.
  17. So far the spokes look the best in my opinion

18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Personally think the TT's all around. But, I'm VERY partial to them. Yes there is something about your front chromes that do look just a little off. Don't know exactly what it is though. However you choose it's a good looking car!

19. I know right! I can’t put my finger on it either but the front wheels just don’t look quite right.
    Do like the TT’s all around but can’t exactly afford it. I’ve got a friend that would trade my front chromes for his 10 spokes. So I was considering that and running my chrome rears and maybe changing the car color.

And thank you my good sir,I appreciate the positive comment. It may not be much but it was pretty much a few panels of rot tied together with rope when I got it.

Stogy likes this.
  20. To address the headlights,they are low for a reason, my radiator is a bit forward to clear the fan and the tires hit the headlights when they are up higher because they are pushed forward now and clear the tires. I also dig the rolling bones look with low lights. Though I’m not opposed to them being higher,they just didn’t fit well.

I am considering flat blacking the body (because bodywork is not done) and doing gold spokes on the aluminum wheels. Since my dash,steering wheel and shift knob are gold. I think changing up the color may help with how much gold there is. I think gold 10 spokes and even gold steelies in back would look good with that color combo

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it's okay to have a digitally inspired vision which still is a challenge to get it remotely right to aid in a decision...it is visual art to me and I enjoy art and it's truly more than a cool image. It is a modern medium that is used to bring it forward before laying out the dough or turning a wrench.

I think you're alluding it as a form of knowing the Sex of the Baby before being born. It's not meant in any way to replace imagination but a more modern way of what may have been a Drawing or Painting or even a Collage...just another type of vision.

Many actually seem quick and are fairly straight forward however I am digitally working a sketch I did in 1977 and it's taking many many hours...and I'm not done yet...

Don't kid yourself the images posted weren't just done by a cellphone app click...;)

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will agree chrome is shiny and stands out...and may be construed as pretty but again interestingly as I read and went through Bass's thread before seeing your thread he went with chromed Steelies as a Fifties Jalopy Racer look with pics to back it up...pretty not really but perhaps a bit more upscale as builders and styling varied...it was actually very fitting and looked spot on...I sense your a younger fella than me and I never grew up with this stuff but wasn't to far removed from the history...

I think you prefer the later Hamb Period look as that type of mag which many were pretty shiny at that time and they were edging out the chrome reversed, not completely of course but time has never looked back, we do but many move forward...

Here's Bass's post on his reasoning to go Chromed and or Reversed Steelies a post or two after he posted pics of a 50s Jalopy racer with them as well...;)

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/build-the-bass-coupe-build.104217/#post-1123067

23. Your response is epic. I couldn’t put that into words but you captured it!

Stogy likes this.
  24. I think they are great on the right car,to me they just don’t look right on THIS car. Yes I’m in my 30’s now. I built this car in my early 20’s and have redone it one time since. My style changes to comfort the older I get. I don’t want rust but I also don’t like nice paint, I like the look of a WELL used hotrod, something that looks like it was a Saturday night bracket car but driven to work also back in the day.

Nicholas Coe and Stogy like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good on you getting into this at such an early age...My first so called Hotrod on the road so to speak was only 5 or so years ago and I have 20+ years on you...not my handiwork either so have fun and it seems you are and of course you have the freedom to mix it up as you please...look forward to your next canvas...;)

26. Thanks for the kind words, Ive owner a 2r5 pickup since I was 15 but this care came around 9 or so years ago and took up my attention,

I’m leaning towards a black body and gold wheel centers on the spokes and maybe gold rear steelies or just leaving the chrome rears and Addiingbthe spokes to see how it looks. I think I just am tired of the color and front wheels for whatever reason

Stogy likes this.
  27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I can see your idea with the gold wheels. I was mulling over the idea if you ran black rims might give it a tough look. Nice deep wheels on the back.

28. Well, there’s a pick above with black wheels. Inplasti dipped the chrome to get me by. Right now it has deep dish rear chromes and sold the skinny 16’s

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamber Coupe De Cab Had a Gold 30/31 coupe that had gold Steelies on it back some time ago

Perhaps you can look beyond the ww's...it seems he painted them two tone and is of course running trim rings...

Coupe de cab - 1930 Ford Model A - Gambino Kustoms - VonSkip - 247autoholic -JestersCC.jpg

http://jesterscc.blogspot.com/p/von-skip.html

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ew-look-this-month.60721/page-10#post-1177244

One other source of inspiration might be Hamber @George Klass's website were there are a ton of inspirational combos of wheels to consider...most Hamb friendly to boot...

http://www.georgeklass.net/altereds.html

Credit to Photographer, Owner