Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Stud Kit Options

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Idlewild, May 16, 2019.

1. Idlewild

Idlewild
    from Denver, CO

I'm looking to buy a new stud kit for the cylinder heads on my flathead and remember seeing the one Ryan (I think) used, where the studs were allen drive and they, plus the nuts, were all blackened. Does anyone know if that's a specific set I can get a hold of? Most I've seen have just been standard shades of steel or galv. or just the studs are blackened.

My flathead is a 36' 221 21-studder...if that makes a difference to anyone? Stock alum heads now...eddie meyer eventually. Thanks.

flathead.jpg 56.jpg 082.jpg

2. Have you tried ARP? They seem to be the go to place for engine fasteners.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Idlewild

Idlewild
    from Denver, CO

Thanks, ARP does seem to be the quality option. In searching the various ARP options, it looks like Red's Headers has a 21-stud ARP version with blackened studs, nuts, and washers (in the image), even though it says chrome washers.

Maybe I'll reach out to them and see if they have any details...the $295 price tag is both reassuring that these are probably better quality than your standard stud and a bitter pill to swallow.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

$295 for flathead studs. 48 in all...Just another example of exploitation in the current model of engine interest!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe go to a fastener supply business and see what they can do for you. Might be better prices to.

6. Very true, but the ARP stud kits for the popular pickup truck diesels are in the 6-700 dollar range. I never thought about the exploitation factor but you are on to something!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Try these guys: fordbolts.com
    They have lots of early Ford and Merc hardware.

8. Idlewild

Idlewild
    from Denver, CO

Yeah, I've ordered hardware from them before, great stuff...especially if you're going for original. Nothing with flatheads is inexpensive, these days.

9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Unfortunately the owner suddenly passed away two weeks ago and the business is closed. Not sure if it will reopen. We flathead guys will miss him dearly.

10. Idlewild

Idlewild
    from Denver, CO

That's terrible, I'm so saddened to hear that. Through the limited dealings I had with him, he seemed like a good guy. He supplied a lot of really great hardware to me as I've been rebuilding my '36 tudor. He will indeed be missed.

11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

speedway lists an offy set for a lot less.

12. banjorear

banjorear

Do not purchase the Speedway Offy studs. Somethings Speedway sells are great. These are not one of them.

I know ARP may be expensive, but they are worth it. There is a place that sells them by the single and when you purchase 48, he works out some kind of discount which makes the price about $150 less than other places. I'll try to find the place and post it when I do.

Others may post, but ARP studs are the correct thread, do not need as many re-torques to set right and the hex end makes install and remove much easier.

If you've never taken well stuck flathead studs out, believe me this is well worth the extra cost.

Also, make sure your Eddie Meyer heads use stock length studs. I don't know what his 21 stud heads use. If not, you'll have about 1/2 of the studs too short.

Last edited: May 20, 2019