Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods flamethrower paint color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, May 18, 2019.

1. silent rick

silent rick

i'm not color blind, i have what they call a color deficiency. i can't pick out the numbers hidden in all those little dots. i have trouble with shades of red.
    what brand and color of rattle can spray best matches the paint on a grant flamethrower? some people might ask why does it matter? you can't tell the difference anyway. and to those people who might suggest a nice lime green, all i can say is i'm not that color blind and i will get even with you.
    who restores these? @GMC BUBBA , what paint do you use jim?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Spaulding was red if that helps ..

3. town sedan

town sedan

I'm not color blind, but while going through the induction physical to join the army the examiner was moving so fast and just started flashing cards at me. Before I figured out what was going on he proclaimed I failed the test and was color blind.

That's the short version of how I was able to spent 4 years in the field artillery...., bump
    -Dave

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I have several flamethrowers and yes Spalding was a red, Grant more of a Chevy Orange with a twist of lime............................................

5. silent rick

silent rick

the one on my 283 is a grant with a chrome top and it's either n.o.s. or beautifully rebuilt. it came in the original box. i would hope that this one is as close to the original color.

the one i have for my Y block is a grant with a painted top. the paint on it is a slightly lighter red and is pretty dull and nicked up.

the one i bought for my 241/270 dodge has no top and has even less paint on it than the Y block.

course, i don't have to paint it red, i've seen them highly polished and they didn't look bad. what about painting it the same color as the block?

i just think it's going to be hard tracking down a chevy orange with a twist of lime in it.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I would say the 270 baby hemi flamethrower is a lost cause, sell it to me!
    If it's not 4 sale than please post a pic so I can drool all over it..............................

loudbang likes this.
  7. In the early sixties when Tom Spaulding was racing go karts at the go kart track in Irwindale I inquired about the shade of red his kart was painted. I was told 1956 Chevrolet Matador Red. He was still in control of his distributors at that time and it would have made perfect sense to use something that was handy. A good friend had a flamethrower on an Oldsmobile he had and we had been to his shop in Monrovia for repair work. It seemed like the go kart and the distributors were pretty close in color. (I hope the ravages of time have been kind to my memory.) I hope this helps.

chryslerfan55, jnaki and brigrat like this.
  8. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

The rustoleum red from ACE is pretty close , thats what my last few have been painted ......

silent rick likes this.
  9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

theHIGHLANDER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. silent rick

silent rick

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D

chryslerfan55 likes this.