Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does it have to be perfect? After all it's a Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ct1932ford, May 17, 2019.

1. What he said. Some things on mine are far from perfect. But they WORK. I like the fact someone can look at it and say, "I can do That!" I do have fun with mine.

Ben

dirty old man likes this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

O.K., but slow down a sec. I had my shop, nice frame jig, wife and I fabricated, built engines to the inside specs.
    (also, BMW/Porsche service/repair)
    A ditz brought me a nice old hot rod, NO RUST EVER '34 three window. Frame was nice, but it had some kind of stretched (s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d!!!) dago axle, a real Ralph.
    (that's 'unsafe at any speed')
    I tell the guy I need a good, solid 'Henry' axle up front...or, the Chassis Engineering one at the time. So, he replies, "Oh, man...it's under the car. It's JUST my hot rod..."

That was 'the one that got away...' He stacked it up on the Dumbarton Bridge, hit the 10" high curb, flipped the car on its side, crashed with an oncoming van.
    They were on a 'reliability run'...a friend said he 'just went out of control'.
    'Imperfect' is one thing...Unreliable is quite another.

ffr1222k and dirty old man like this.
  3. mkebaird

mkebaird

Tim's got it right, everyone's idea of perfection is different. Even with that, mine never get beyond 80% at best. That's 'perfect' for me, always planning for some upgrade, never worry about someone leaning on my car or getting chips/bugs on the 'paint'.

Hombre likes this.
  4. brianf31

brianf31

My primered coupe has rubber all over it from drag strip burnouts a couple weeks ago. I'm OK with that.

5. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Mine will never be perfect due to the fact I don't believe my skills could dictate that. Many of the guys I used to go to shows with brought their cars up to perfection winning national awards as well as all local shows and magazine features as well. The problem?, many feel now they are too good to be driven on the street so out of fear they become garage queens. Each to his own I guess.

61Cruiser, Hombre and chevyfordman like this.
  6. gene-koning

gene-koning

Nothing I ever own will be perfect, that is just me. However, you will not ever see me driving something that is unsafe. I drive my stuff, and I'm not afraid to drive it 100s of miles from home, and when I leave home, I fully expect it to take me back home. I take my driving pretty seriously, so I build and maintain my cars & trucks with that same serious attitude.

My stuff may not look the best, but it isn't going to fall apart, and in an emergency, the steering will function correctly and it will stop straight and quickly. The life of someone's friend or loved one may depend on that, and I take that pretty seriously too. Gene

61Cruiser, trollst, Hombre and 4 others like this.
  7. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In answer to the original question.... Lord I hope not!! I've never seen a perfect car; "perfect" is far to subjective for everyone to agree on. Now perfect for me is a different thing altogether. I have two cars that I wouldn't change a thing on, they are exactly what I want them to be and that is as close to 'perfect' as I care to get.

61Cruiser, Hombre and jim snow like this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

I appreciate the car Jewelry, BUT have not, do not own any cars at that level, as I like most here drive my rides. The fun of the travels, the people you meet are what the hobby is about IMO. I do know some people that their car's, homes, in fact everything they have appears to be perfect or real close and I don't think they are enjoying life as they are always unhappy about some small detail of imperfection. As always, To each their own said the farmer as he hugged his cow.

9. Ziggster

Ziggster

I'm not OCD and have never built a car from scratch but I really enjoy building stuff. However, and perhaps unfortunately, I always want things to be as good as I can make them which leads to its own troubles. I'm hoping my build will prove me otherwise this time. I appreciate and understated the approach taken by the rat rod community and others. IMHO it doesn't mean things should be shoddy or seem slapped together without proper thought and approach, but at the same time there is no need for picture perfect paint, shiny and polished do dads, and expensive add-ons. In fact, much work will go into trying to make it look the opposite, that is tired, worn, and "period" correct. If I can do 1/10 what these guys archieved I'll be satisfied. They're absolute geniuses in my book.

Hombre, dirty old man and Cosmo49 like this.
  10. While my car is mechanically up to specs, I refuse to spend what little time I have left block sanding so someone else can be impressed with the fit and finish. I'd rather spend that time having fun with my hot rod, thank you.

11. define perfect...
    perfect as originally designed?
    perfect as originally built?
    perfect to your vision?
    perfect for your talent and/or checkbook level?
    perfect fit and finish? what is the perfect door to fender gap?
    perfect color?
    I think the way you answer these questions (and others) make every car perfect or every car not perfect.
    The important thing is that you/we are building cars, driving cars, loving cars, supporting a hobby.... and that is perfect.
    Chappy

12. j3harleys

j3harleys

A friend is painting one of our roadsters in his garage today. Is it going to be perfect? NO. Will it be cool? Hell yes. My wife and I did the upholstery in our garage ( first time ). It didn't turn out as nice as I hoped it would but it turned out better than I thought it would. Its going to be Perfect for us.

13. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

I've seen a whole lot of projects (hot rods and other OT vehicles) never completed because the owner was chasing "perfection". Those guys can't except that they are limited by, lack of skill, lack of time, and lack of money. So the car sits, and the excitement fades, and they are never finished.
    Set your own standards. Make them safe. And drive them often.
    "The Pursuit of Perfection can be Paralyzing"

14. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Set your own standards. Make them safe . And drive them often . Truer words were never spoken. In 1984 my future father in law frame off restored a 58 Edsel convertible nowhere near perfect but real nice! As soon as it was finished he surprised the family with a road trip from Canada to Disneyland. Countless road trips ,car shows and my daughters wedding car last summer — 35 years and the Edsel still looks great!! But it still isn’t perfect, didn’t need to be.

15. My tudor has never been "perfect", but, for nearly twenty years, i've been driving as is. Last fall i looked at all the nicer fenders i had laying around. The fender welt was done for, the frame webbing was deteriorated, the wiring was a mess, & "quickie" body work was getting on my nerves (as well as the squeaky, rattly, mess. This winter, i took it all apart. It will still not be perfect, but at least it will be more streetable.

16. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

If you drive a lot they won't be perfect. I sold off and built another car in my youth when they started to deteriorate from the elements and use. Grew out of that as I got older and enjoy them more. Don't have to be perfect, but do have to be used or your just saving it for someone else.

dirty old man and F&J like this.
  17. Perfection is unobtainable, just try to do your best. HRP

18. 47ragtop

47ragtop

In the early 80's as close to perfect as I could get. Absolutely hated this car !! If I drove it 5 miles, the underneath cleanup took hours. Did I say I hated this car. Give me a driver I can use !! Drove my avatar pictured car 6 days last week and also this AM. Later Bill

Attached Files:

ffr1222k, dirty old man and F&J like this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I certainly enjoy perfection, but I'm not driven to achieve it. My little A pickup is far, far, from perfection, but I enjoy the low-brow aspects of it. It's a hot rod, or maybe it's just a jalopy. It rattles, squeaks and bangs going down what passes for roads here in So Cal; the exhaust is loud and you have to feather the throttle or get the rpm's up before stomping on it; and it's small with little leg room, but I absolutely love driving it, staring at it, and working on it. I would love a perfect deuce roadster that was shiny and show worthy, but I don't know that I'd enjoy it any more than the jalopy A pickup. Well, my legs would probably like it better..... :D

20. I just went on a rod run with a group of the roadster guy. ( LA Roadsters, San Luis Roadsters, Bay Area Roadsters, Valley Roadsters). We drove back roads, parked in grass fields, got caught in rain. Mostly magazine quality cars. These dudes drive them many miles. The idea that making a car too nice to use is just stupid. Your car is a reflection of you. If it's ratty, it is all on you. Might piss some of you off, but keeping a car looking crappy is just rat roddery.

Deuce-Deano and alanp561 like this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That's rather judgmental isn't it? You know, different strokes for different folks and all that. Isn't it possible for the same person to own more than 1 car, and 1 of them might be magazine quality, the others maybe not so much. Which one is the reflection? I don't know, you're post comes across as elitist snobbery. Maybe it's just a reaction to those who posted that they wouldn't feel comfortable driving a perfect car. That's how they would feel about it, that's all. Don't read too much into it. But don't be a snob.

22. Blues4U, all statements are judgements. My opinion remains that the concept of a car being "too nice" to use is stupid. The HAMB has, IMO, drifted into rat rod territory, for quite some time. Bad mouthing the small block, disparaging those who keep their shit looking clean and tidy as being too fussy, celebrating unrepaired rust, all that adds up. As if we weren't supposed to notice. Am I a snob? Perhaps. My hot rod is in primer now. I drive the crap out of it. But, someday, it will be shiny. Is imperfection the goal, nowadays? Not for me. Guess I am a snob.

trollst likes this.
  23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well, I guess I didn't see those posts as disparaging those who keep their shit looking clean and tidy, just that they wouldn't be comfortable driving a perfect car. But since you mentioned it, yeah, when I posted a thread asking about how often people wax their cars I got a shit load of posts boasting about how they never wax, as if they were proud of it. So I guess I see where you're coming from, now that I think about it. Sorry for pushing back on your post.

24. Terrible80

Terrible80

I bet if you ask the owner of a "perfect" car. He'll say there's something he'd do differently next time.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Not a problem, Blues4U. You have a nice little truck, for some, it might be too nice to drive. I guess that was my point. Too perfect to drive just doesn't make sense.

dirty old man and Blues4U like this.
  26. Terrible80, that is a universal truth of hot rods. Good point.

27. 4speed411

4speed411

Only thing perfect was the image in my head of this project....but it ended with a nice driver... IMG_20190428_111136454.jpg

28. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

This is one of those "when is enough, enough?"

On my build it's a driver, I want a nice driver but still a street car. There are things I want right as in I built the frame myself, it measures within 1/16" in 112" for lenth, square and diamond, to me close enough, new factory stuff is up to 1/4".

I guess the difference for me comes into play on the basis of is it a component I built or bought? If built I want tighter, nicer fit then some factory stuff, if bought I'm less picky about that item.

Example: I'm building the floor truss system to weld the body too, the very rear xmember of the floor truss is 1/8" fat longer on one side than the other and I can see it with the rear frame xmember and ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY !! Now understand once the body is welded to it and floor down you'll never see it again, so does it matter? Yeah kinda, I'm thinking about cutting it loose and fixing and rewelding. But see this comes back to I built it, not aftermarket.

Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

alanp561 and Chili Phil like this.
  29. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Man, you may not be going for perfect, but you're building an awfully nice car there.

30. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I took a few turns at the wheel building "show" cars with high end paint and perfect chrome and such. Never again.

I just want a nice driver that I can have fun in. I actually hope it has a few dings and bruises so I don't have to worry about it. I do want it solid though.

61Cruiser and dirty old man like this.