Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Bel air windshield seal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UlfrsFang, May 19, 2019.

1. UlfrsFang

UlfrsFang
    from Ky

54 Bel air Hardtop
    First post but here goes, trying my hardest to get on the road this summer and being 22 with a light wallet at the moment and a car that could use a very fat one. ive no front windshield, and in need of other costly parts, but i picked up a piece of good plexiglass 75x35x 1/8 or 3/16 for 10$ compared to 500 for a windshield, and im gonna cut it and use it at least for a year till i have the means for a real windshield, thats that. but for that year im also trying to find a cost efficient way to seal it in my car, so again the money can go to more useful parts to get it up and moving again. was wondering if anyone knows what type of seal the original is, or a generic one i could use, or a inexpensive way to seal it in?
    Ps. also if anyone has the slightest clue on how to adjust the hood on them, thatd be a huge help cause im up a stream without a paddle on that

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

need to put your location in profile. where do you live? i have a extra windshield. plexiglass will not work. welcome to the hamb

3. UlfrsFang

UlfrsFang
    from Ky

Northern Ky, i figured since they use em for boats and motorcycles it could suffice for a time. thank ya for the welcome partner

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

someone may have one for your car. might try want ads. is it a 2 or 4 door? post some pics. we like pictures and are here to help. if i was closer i would help.

5. UlfrsFang

UlfrsFang
    from Ky

Ive not seen anything, its a 2 door hardtop. so unless that changes im gonna end up using it, or guess i could ride around with none and my moto goggles lol

6. UlfrsFang

UlfrsFang
    from Ky

most recent pic but i dont often take so ill have to. Also note ive a chubby for finned stuff haha IMG_0814 (2).PNG

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You need to check craigslist and/or find any wrecking yards out in the country. I know of some in Virginia that has a couple of those Chevys sitting with windshields in them. Should be something in Kentucky .

8. BigChief

BigChief

Plexiglas can shatter into splinters on impact and should not be used. Mar resistant Lexan is what they use for boats and motorcycle windshields....and racecars. If KY has safety inspections as part of the registration process the car won't pass without a proper windshield.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. UlfrsFang

UlfrsFang
    from Ky

They don’t have inspections and if I was to crash that car I imagine I’d be in for bigger problems with no seat belts or air bags. But I will keep an eye out for opportunity but I still need to know how I can seal it and also how to adjust the hood

10. 54vicky

54vicky

good luck trying too fit the plexiglass as big said.but go ahead and try looks like money was spent on bling rather than common sense items.the bike and boat windshields are formed with heated molds

11. UlfrsFang

UlfrsFang
    from Ky

no ive spent 2 years collecting parts for that engine to be built, heads, intake, crank pistons, cam the important stuff. now air scoop was given to me by a very good friend of mine and rest of the parts ive picked up since i was 15, when i had a nova, all of em are used except the alt bracket and alternator. i appreciate any and all opinions and comments, but if it comes to using a piece of acrylic for a time which is 17X stronger than glass i will with out a doubt and if i get my hands on a windshield theyll be no question it'll be fitted in. but id really appreciate if someone could give an idea on how to seal the windshield and on how to adjust the hood.

12. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

13. to seal it you need a new rubber gasket, that's really the only way to seal it. Also the factory glass is curved it is not flat, and you will not be able to bend and force that plexi glass into submission to get it to the right shape, with out heating and forming it to fit. Plexi glass can be formed, but it requires distributed heat across the plexi and a formed mold to make it form properly. chances of getting to to form right using a torch are about 0 and its almost garunteed that it will burn with an open flame. If you are set on doing a Temp windshield, you need to find a piece of Lexan, it will bend and form much easier and is not expensive. that being said, I would start looking for old junkyards and people on craigs list that have a junk one. The last one that I bought used was 45 bucks from Leons Used Auto Parts in Culpeper VA.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  14. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

15. UlfrsFang

UlfrsFang
    from Ky

Thank you all for imput I’ll have to try and line up my hood tomorrow and search for junk yards only know of one junk yard around here with old cars and there’s only about 2 dozen and I’ve already been through em all and no bel airs, guess I’ll try and broaden my craigslist search i usually check it 1 a week to see if any parts pop up.

16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

doesn't have to be belair

17. UlfrsFang

UlfrsFang
    from Ky

Would other early Chevy windowsfit?

18. you need to find the Style number on the body tag on the firewall. Using the style number yours should be 54-1037 ( 54 is the model year, 10 in the GM division, and 37 is the body style) you need a windshield of the same body style. I know you can use some Olds wind sheilds and perhaps a Pontiac one. but they must be the same body style. A Sport Coupe (hard top) has a different wind shield than a sedan. they do not interchange. Here is a picture of the body tag to look for on the fire wall.

COWL1.gif

19. UlfrsFang

UlfrsFang
    from Ky

2 doors and no post is a hard top, correct? So Gm hardtop cars have interchangeable parts? Of same body style^

20. correct, no post is a Sport Coupe (Hard Top) the glass can interchange as well as some other hard parts, I believe door parts, and window tracks, back glass, wind shield and back glass trim.

21. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

My old interchange book says 1953-1954 two door ht. and convertible Chevrolet and Pontiac W 318 windshields interchange. Auto city classic lists one for $289 why screw around with an old one?

302GMC and Nailhead Jason like this.
  22. goldmountain

goldmountain

There is never enough time to do it right the first time but there is always time enough to do it again. Just get a proper windshield and gasket. We were all 22 at one time in a rush to get the car on the road.