Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do not buy a Foreign Made Early Ford Master Cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, May 10, 2019.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I Ordered a 39 master cylinder from Napa.
    I gave them the USA made part number
    of WAGNER LOCKHEED FE-1051 and for some reason NAPA provides a Taiwan made unit.
    They simply do not work.
    The plunger sticks inside and doesn’t always provide pressure.
    I replaced it with another exact type thinking it was a fluke. Nope. Junk too.
    Had a friend later tell me he went through 6-7 of them and the same story.
    Before this I bought 2 AC/Delco units also foreign made. One of them provided a hard pedal at any given time. The other a/c Delco pushed fluid right out the plunger hole.

The original manufactured part can still be found but usually not locally.
    Expensive too.
    Worth every penny. Don’t buy foreign.
    To be sure it’s a Wagner their name is embossed right on the casting.

[​IMG]

2. So where did you source the good one please?

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

A better title for this thread should be don't buy a foreign anything.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Jeff Norwell, town sedan and cactus1 like this.

5. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

I bought one for a 1942 Dodge Command Car from one of the army suppliers, piece of shit leaked thru the threads at the adapter to the tubing, a second one did the same, I was told American made, Ha bullshit, another outfit told me thats what happens on those, I sent the old one out and had it sleeved, 225 $ and well worth it, I think I'll be doing that from now on with cylinders also, damm junk.

Petejoe likes this.
  6. 62rebel

62rebel

I got one for an A and it wasn't even drilled for fittings

Petejoe likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

N.A.P.A. No American Parts Available

RMR&C, da34guy, reagen and 3 others like this.
  8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Went thru two new mc's on my 40, both leaked . Telling a friend who operates a everyday repair shop and he said that he has better luck with rebuilds than new ones. I went to local parts house bought a rebuilt one for 25% of new and it has been in for many years with no leaks.

9. 5window

5window

Not necessarily NAPA's fault. Maybe they go cheapest, but sometimes they must carry what is available. Despite our preferences, there's not much demand for '39 parts. NAPA is a mainline ,not specialty, parts house. No profitability in having a lonely part on the shelf until some old hotrodder wants it. Reality, unsold inventory = loss. I would have expected HAMBers to have figured that out.

Tim, uncle buck, Lil32 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^
    Perhaps if Tim Allen or Christopher Titus said it you'd find the humor?

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You're buying a lot more foreign products than you think .......

jazz1 and 19Eddy30 like this.
  12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had an issue with the off shore M/C the PO installed on my '39 p/u. It allowed pressure to build up and wouldn't release causing the brakes to drag and finally lock up. Replaced it with a Wagner USA made I got from Joe's Antique Auto. No more problems. Been in for 4 years.

town sedan likes this.
  13. town sedan

town sedan

My 1st boss in the parts business ('93) would always keep a flathead head gasket or two on the shelf. We'd sell them maybe once or twice a year. But, those guys would remember us buying other parts throughout the year and would also tell their buddies.

I know times have changed, but a "lonely part" isn't always a money looser. And better than deeply discounting high value parts (like new tires at $5 over cost) just to make a sale every day. My two cents.
    -Dave

Lil32, Boneyard51 and HemiDeuce like this.
  14. 5window

5window

If you have already go the part,and the space, hanging on to it might be fine. Also, remember, in 1993, the flathead was roughly 40-50 years out of date. Today, it's more like 75-80 years out of date. Probably much less call for a head gasket now that we'd like to think. Plus, to replace your inventory is a whole lot bigger investment, even given inflation.

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Found a new old stock. 80 bucks.
    Take a look at the cool outlet adapter.

[​IMG]

16. Well since we get force fed this shit ,,,,
    The tariffs will make it more expensive and maybe just maybe make it worthwhile for some to start making good quality parts.

The foreign manufacturing is quite capable of making great stuff,, it’s the export profit that says make it cheaper. We pay the price

Petejoe likes this.
  17. jazz1

jazz1

I'll say, ordered oil pan from Rockauto and its foreign as all get out. Fortunately it fit.
    Should be a law about brake parts, I ended up with inferior pads and rotors, bad out of the box one set after another from local vendor. IMG_3901.JPG

18. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

The problem with trying to make things again in this country is the friggen goverment, too many rules and regulations, don't get me wrong some are OK but the bulk are just reasons to get money out of an employers hand, we have hardly any factories left in the US, textile mills have closed down, foundrys are about gone, and then to add insult to injury the garbage we get from overseas has no quality control, we're just about screwed.
    Now back to your normal programing.

31Vicky with a hemi and Truck64 like this.
  19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Thing is with NOS brake parts at sime point I'd wonder about internal rubber parts dry rotting from ozone or whatever over the years. Guaranteed to be better stuff than whatever they are using today though.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes that is a concern. This one had rust on the casting but some type of very minimal oil or whatever inside with no rust. I filled it with brake fluid and the plunger was initially slow to move but now works perfect with good pressure.
    At least now I have a good unit that can be rebuilt with original Wagner parts.

21. slim39

slim39
    from pa

There was a place in White Post Va that sleeves MCs and Wheel cyl They do a great job. I don't know if there still in business. I think it was called White Post Restorations
    Slim39

Petejoe likes this.
  22. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I am in process of putting juice brakes in my 35 Ford pickup. I put a set of 39 pedals in today I got the set of brakes parts(master and wheel cylinders) from Macs/Ecklers. Most is foreign made. The master cylinder push rod eye bolt was giving me fits. I had to file it way back on the shaft threads to slip in the pedal lever. Then I had to drill out the hole because it was crooked so pin would not go through.
    I am looking for stock parts because the parts I had to modify were so soft that the file cut too fast for it to be a hard part. I drilled the pin hole it by putting the drill bit in vice grips and cut by hand. Too soft. I plan on driving this truck and these parts will not last. I just hope I have better luck with wheel cylinders and master cylinder.
    I will be digging in my stock parts bucket tomorrow.

23. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

If you do get original cylinders sleeved, be sure to have a stainless steel sleeve vs. brass, I am told that the brass is okay for a show car but wears fast on a car that is driven regularly.

Yes, the company was called White Post Restorations.

Petejoe likes this.
  24. Bought more than a few Cardone rebuilt early Ford masters with no grief.

Petejoe likes this.
  25. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

Welcome to Chinese repop parts from Mac's. The master cylinder that I got leaked fluid almost as fast as I could pour it in. It had a bad spot in the bore and a small hairline crack . Mac's wouldn't warranty it because I had purchased it over a year prior to installing it. I was buying parts and shelving them to use when I was ready for them. Needless to say Mac's didn't get a second chance.

Petejoe likes this.
  26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call Joe's Antique Auto in MA you'll be glad you did.

Petejoe likes this.