Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical poly 354 transmission options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toudi, May 19, 2019.

1. toudi

toudi

Hello Guys
    I have 58 Saratoga with 354 poly. Right now I got this push button original transmission, but button panel is gone ,and Im thinking to replace for transmission with parking locking option ,with traditional shiftier.
    What is the easiest option ? , Im in Europe but I have friend in US who can ship me parts .
    Thank you for helping me.

Deuces likes this.
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Easiest would be to replace the missing control panel. Look under the car and see if the mechanism is gone off the transmission. Shifting is done by cables connected to the pushbutton mechanism.
    They made millions of cars with that mechanism and they seldom wore out or gave trouble. A replacement should not be difficult or expensive to locate.

Deuces likes this.
  3. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I like the TH 400, modulator valve for throttle pressure and good parts availability, you would need an adapter plate, flex plate. I started using the TH400 BOP because nobody else wanted them and they were cheap. Try to find one that was behind 500 Cad.

4. toudi

toudi

Ok, What I understand I need for this conversion ?
    - modulator valve for throttle pressure
    -adapter plat
    -flex plate
    any web-side to start looking ?
    what I funded
    https://www.tciauto.com/392-354-hemi-chrysler-to-chevy-transmission-adapter-kit.html
    and
    http://www.wilcap.com/Hemi.html - but nothing about 354
    or
    http://hothemiheads.com/transmission_adapters/adapter_chevy_auto.html

Thanks Rusty but I have steep driveway and dont trust using just handbrake to park this car , thats why Im thinking for different tranny

5. You can add a new drive shaft and figuring out the differences in the transmission mount to your "to do" list. I'm with Rusty O'toole on the quickest cheapest method.

Deuces likes this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The handbrake will hold if it is in good shape. Long enough to put blocks under the wheels anyway lol. If you saw a parking pawl you would wonder how they hold back a 4000 pound car, the pawl is about as big as the tip of a pencil.

Deuces likes this.
  7. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

The modulator/ throttle pressure is typically with the trans, the Wilcap adapter lets you choose the starter location left or right and you will need a starter, find the shortest 318/360 Mopar, the adapter is the same for 331/354/392 hemi/poly If you have a Chrysler 354 poly you have a 331/ 354 Hemi block.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  8. toudi

toudi

What about later models Chrysler/Mopar transmissions from 60s ? They have parking option , and shiftier floor mounted. do I need adapters to connect them to 354 block ?

9. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Some of the U.S. Mopar motorhomes had a small parking brake drum on the back of the Torqueflight trans but you would still need an adapter to mount them on a 354

10. Not to hijack here but I’m in another boat similar but opposite

I’ve got a project here, 62 Dodge Dart. Had 318 poly with push button trans. Owner is going with a pretty hot and high stepping 440 and wants to keep the push buttons.

I’ll have some left over pushbutton stuff from our parts car if it will do you any good

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You will have a lot of money and expense getting the 354 to work with a later transmission. In my opinion, you are better off getting the original pushbutton A488 Torqueflite working properly. The parts you need are common and inexpensive. I may have what you are needing.

12. toudi

toudi

Thank you Guys
    Probably Iwill fix panel