Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Engine coolant temperature sensor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DukeCity41, May 11, 2019.

1. DukeCity41

DukeCity41

I am installing a 22 circuit wiring harness in the 41. The engine is a 318, I am using a two wire engine coolant temperature sensor. I have one wire for the sensor, power for the gauge and a ground. Where does the other wire go from the sensor?
    Thanks

2. The gauge info should tell you.

Most 2 wire coolant temp are for PCM communications
    or actually thermostatic on off switches.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

What gauge are you using?

Where did the sensor come from?

4. DukeCity41

DukeCity41

Summit LED Digital Water Temperature Gauge
    Oreilly's
    Murray Climate Control 2 Terminal Temperature Unit
    Part #37980

5. squirrel

squirrel

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  6. DukeCity41

DukeCity41

Ok, bought the two sensors (oil pressure and coolant temperature) from Summit, makes sense they are for the gauges i purchased from them. Next, distributor; one wire to positive side of coil and the other to negative -- Orange and a Brown wire coming from distributor. Which wire is the positive and which one is the negative?

7. squirrel

squirrel

what's inside the distributor? The stock magnetic pickup coil? if so, you need a "box" for it, it won't work by just connecting it to the coil.

pictures help

8. DukeCity41

DukeCity41

First time I took the distributor cap off., thought i would see points in it but it looks like some kind of electronic type. Also it looks like the rotor tab is bent.

Attached Files:

9. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, the rotor is bent. The pickup coil is the factory Dodge type. You need an amplifier of some type, you can see if you can find the original Dodge wiring harness and use the appropriate module, coil, and ballast resistor. Or use an MSD box. Or scour the internet and see how to use a GM HEI module. Or find some other alternatives if none of them suit you. Perhaps buy a point type distributor for an earlier engine (pre 72, I think).

10. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

My. Moto. Always listen to squirrel

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.