Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Death Sentence

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackrat40, May 4, 2019.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

Deuces,
    Do they make an attachment to grip the dowels? I have a slide hammer that is used for dent pulling but I will have to dig it out and see if there is any sort of larger collet to grip those dowels. They are about as big around as a 3/8" socket I think. I dont remember it being big enough to grip the dowels.

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Mickey,
    Thanks for having me over today. I enjoyed meeting you and Roy. You are a very inspirational man and I have a lot of respect for what you are accomplishing. I will be back to lend a hand whenever you are out in the shop on the weekends. Hopefully we can find out about those dowels and get them swapped over. We accomplished quite a bit between the three of us this morning in just a couple of hours. It wont be long until you hear that Olds rumbling inside that old Ford!

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I wouldn't think they would be in there very tight, you might try a pair of vise grips, or drill and tap them for a screw and use a slide hammer on that.

4. RMONTY

RMONTY

We threw some heat on one of them with a torch, not an excessive amount, and tried twisting it out with Vicegrips, but all it did was slip around on the dowel. I didnt want to put too much heat on the dowel itself, and was heating the area around the dowel, not directly on the dowel.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I have found that it sometimes helps to heat the part that is on the inside. When it cools, it will shrink slightly from it's original ID, kinda like welding a bead on a wheel bearing race will shrink it enough to allow removal.

Stogy, Deuces, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  6. indianbullet

indianbullet
    from Ca

Thoughts and prayer to you and yours.
    Humble respect...

Thor1, Deuces, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  7. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Roy and I agreed that having a knowledgeable car guy to help was very valuable. We look forward to
    having you over again. Thanks again Robin!

Thor1, catdad49, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  8. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Gear Heads helping put the '40 together. (Note James Dean stopped by in one pic).
    Shop10.jpg Shop11.jpg

Thor1, kidcampbell71, pitman and 10 others like this.
  9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Wishing you the best for a full recovery.God bless you and yours,and all your friends.
    Leo

Thor1, Stogy, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  10. RMONTY

RMONTY

Be sure and let me know when you are having these garage parties so I can show up! I'm only 20 minutes or so away.

kidcampbell71, Stogy, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  11. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

My old high school buddy, Alan Gage (retired wood shop teacher from Dallas Schools) stopped
    by and installed a new package tray that he made for the '40. Another generous contribution from
    my friends to finish the project. Before and after photos. shelf.jpg 40pkgtray4.jpg

12. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Was able to drive the dowels into the bell housing easily with firm tapping with a hammer.

13. Deuces

Deuces

Probably an R8 Bridgeport tool holder might work....

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

you find out who your friends are. good luck to you and the project.

Deuces, blackrat40, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  15. Good luck to you. Lost my Dad to cancer a couple years ago. He also had a ‘40 Ford coupe back in the day. Best thing that you can do now is throw out all the calendars in your house. Instead of focusing on that day, circled in red, that the docs gave you as your expiration date...focus on squeezing every ounce out of each day. No one knows how many they have left.

16. Best wishes and God bless you, it sure is a crappy feeling, I'm 4 1/2 yrs in on a less than 5 yr survival average with this Cardiac Sarcoidosis disease I have.
    Like you I keep busy mentally and try and plan ahead, enjoy yourself and life in general without stress. It's funny how much you just take for granted during life, there is so much a person wishes he did when time is running down, now I stop to listen to the birds sings, what was so important isn't so important anymore.
    Hopefully you can hear that engine soon and even go for a ride, tell your friends I said thanks for doing what they're doing, you're lucky to have them.

Thor1, Baumi, j-jock and 16 others like this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Deuces, Saxman, blackrat40 and 3 others like this.
  18. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the encouraging words! I try to live each day as I would have before the diagnosis.
    I didn't post this thread for sympathy but rather to maybe inspire others into service like I am
    seeing from "real" friends.

Thor1, Deuces, wraymen and 12 others like this.
  19. I hope for the very best, and that you get many opportunities to drive your car. I'm sorry for the diagnosis, but I will keep you in my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  20. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I know you didn’t post looking for sympathy. I want you to know that you have inspired me and I’m sure many other members as well. Two years ago, I was struck by some sort of autoimmune infection that rendered me unable to walk and confined to a wheel chair. Drs. at the VA.said I would never walk again. Long story short, I am walking again. Although slowly and with discomfort but walking. (71 yrs. old) When I read your post a couple of weeks ago, you inspired me to want to complete my project 57 Chevy. So, I!m out in the garage as much as possible and I have you to thank, So,THANK YOU.!!!! I still choose to hold out for a miracle for your recovery. God bless you.

21. Brian , your in my prayers ,you got a great bunch of friends . Hang in there I want to see a pic of you driving your hot rod !

Stogy, loudbang and blackrat40 like this.
  22. catdad49

catdad49

Great to see this thread and the 40 moving forward, you'll be on the road before you know it!

23. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for your reply. I feel good that I inspired at least one hot rodder to get back out there!

24. belair

belair

All most of us can do is pray and cheer you from sidelines. I'm keeping up with this too!

Thor1, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@blackrat40 , I am holding on for a pic of you driving your car. Do not disappoint me damn it!

raven, Stogy, 48fordnut and 4 others like this.
  26. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Saturday morning my hot rod buddies came over to remove the "set up" block and install
    the real built up short block and transmission. What a great bunch of guys! Shop2.jpg Shop3.jpg Shop1.jpg

ct1932ford, Thor1, abe lugo and 17 others like this.
  27. I don’t post here much, but this hit home and I’ve read with tears in my eyes

In 2007, I was poisoned with Levaquin and acquired an immune disorder, it is controllable and I live a fairly normal life

September 28, 2017, my son found me unconscious in the front yard. In searching for the cause, January 2018, I was told I had Squamous Cell Carcinoma.

I finished radiation April 4, 2018. Over the course of treatment, my wife and I spent our retirement funds, sold my Corvette, and adding insult to injury, my wife had complications of hip replacement requiring three joints on her right hip.

At 56, I had to put my Land Rover Shop-which I dearly love on a part-time basis and get a real job to rebuild my retirement. I am an engineer in a machine shop that rebuilds broken machinery.

Shortly after I got this job, my wife learned she was not going to be retained by the company that bought her employer of 14 years.

I had to postpone my start date for the new job as my 97 year old father finally died

The morale of this story, keep fighting! Never quit living.

We were on the verge of having to abandon our home, my dream home (shop with lift, fab shop on-site and my own machine shop).

Now to the preaching

My cancer was caused by HPV!

There is an astonishingly high chance we ALL have it. PLEASE vaccinate yourselves if under 46, along with your spouse and your children.

My treatments resulted in my having a $980,000 tattoo on my chest. Just imagine where my family would be without my wife’s insurance!

Be strong, you are a CANCER warrior and you may yet prevail over cancer

catdad49, cavman, Petejoe and 10 others like this.
  28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Every one should read this. My heart goes out to you and your family.

I just came in from the shop trying to put valves in a flat head and I felt bad till I read your post. I have no problems.
    Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

jim

catdad49, Thor1, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  29. I don't think I have ever read anything as sad and at the same time as uplifting as this story. I hope for a full recovery for every one here fighting the beast, keep fighting. To all the people that have helped out, inspirational to say the least.

catdad49, Thor1, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  30. TERPU

TERPU

I opened this up by chance, but I am really glad I did. I am truly sorry for your diagnosis and prognosis. But man you guys know the meaning of PALS and that's incredible to see. The gift you all are giving each other is amazing. I wish I was closer to help. That's what make this hobby so great. May you beat this hurdle, find peace in the process, and come whistling through the other side.

All the best and God Bless - Tim

catdad49, Thor1, loudbang and 5 others like this.