Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I decided to make a little anvil. Fabrication and machining. Videos.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mart, May 19, 2019.

1. Mart

Mart

Inspired by the small anvil made from a piece of railroad track in the very interesting "Home made tools and equipment" thread, I decided to have a go at making one. This appears to be quite a popular thing to do and mostly involves large amounts of grinding. There are lots of videos on youtube that I found after I made mine. (Doh!) Anyway, my approach was to try and do as much as I could on my 4x6 bandsaw, and finish it on my milling machine. It's a neat little item, you wouldn't want to do serious blacksmithing on one of these, but it's nice to have in the workshop and I treated it as a learning exercise. If you have some time to spare you can follow the video series. There are four in all, one shows cutting it out, the others show the machining.

I would appreciate any feedback, good bad or indifferent, especially with regards to the videoing.

So if you are not doing anything in particular, why not join me in my shop for a little while.

Here's the first one:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Thanks

Mart.

Truck64, plan9 and dana barlow like this.
  2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Very cool and great job! I don’t think folks realize how handy a anvil is to have in the shop . I use mine at least once a week for a job or two

3. plan9

plan9

Well done Mart, clever use of a bandsaw. Keep posting vids, the truck, coupe and rusty content is actually informative.

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That looks too purty to bang on!