Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Vintage BBS Wheel lip/outer barrel repair. Best approach?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBS, May 19, 2019.

1. BBS

BBS

Ahoy mateys. I am trying to figure out the best way to repair this very small ding on the lip of a vintage BBS outer barrel. The damaged area is highlighted with red marker but it's fairly evident that the dinged top surface has depressed the lip flange down and inwards ever-so-slightly. You can witness that by seeing an incontinuity in the shadow. I'm thinking I need to find something hook-shaped that can allow me to knock it upwards and then maybe tap the ding outwards as well. Open to all suggestions to DIY at home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jewelry's file and a light polish. No body will see it at 60 M.P.H.

Deuces and partsdawg like this.
  3. You can buy plastic punches
    Light tap and what @Pist-n-Broke said,
    Light massage with jewlers file or a polish with some jewlers rouge compound and it’s will disappear.
    That’s a tiny mark, but bbs are some fancy wheels !

I’m sure it’s O/T for this site, but can you show the complete wheel?

Deuces likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

For a guy who's never done anything like this before, I think you will probably do more damage than good.

Since it's dinged inward, you will need to pull it out, but also stretch the lip as well. Aluminum is very malleable, and when the ding happened it pressed the lip toward the center of the car as well as the center of the wheel. When it pressed to the center of the car it fattened the cross section of the wheel. That's the hard thing to restore. It will involve some hammering, which will cause more dings which will need sanding and polishing.

Or, you could just sand the little visual damage off and repolish. 99.99% of people will never see that damage after a simple sanding and polish.

Deuces likes this.

5. BBS

BBS

The problem is I am the .01% who will notice the defect so I would like to restore it as perfectly as possible. A simple sand will still show the flaw as polished aluminum is very reflective and as they say, "it's all about the details". Sadly, I am OCD about such details.

The wheel is literally gem-mint other than this small damage that was incurred during shipping. It was a spare that was never used in racing, let alone mounted. I have not done something like this before but what you outlined was what I generally understood as well. Just looking for the right tools to do the job at home.

I will get a picture up later but it's a gorgeous wheel for the collection/man-cave. Extremely wide 18x14.5, all original West Germany centerlock magnesium center and inner/outer barrels. The 27.5x14.5-17 Goodyear Eagle Radial rain tire is all original and unused as well but it's hard as a rock now!

Deuces, Pist-n-Broke and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. I fully understand. I have a small blem in a grill that I cut into 4 sections, reshaped and extended to fit the way I wanted. Then sent it out for Chrome. It's outstanding and no one has ever noticed that I'm aware of. Every time I detail the car it jumps right into my face and says HELLO!

BBS and Deuces like this.