Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Forgetfulness is a Terrible Thing.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, May 17, 2019.

1. GTS225

GTS225

Just wait until you step out of the supermarket, and have to stop, look around, and wonder where in hell you parked it.

Seriously, though, all those that are dealing with someone with MS, Alz., or some other degenerative disease, I do feel your pain. I've had to watch a good friend, in a hospital bed, lost in his own mind, and I have never felt so damn helpless. We lost him back on Dec. 17th, after having to live in NC with his sister for the last 5 years of his life. Never even made it to the age of 62. RIP, Steve.

Roger

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The wife drove around for 15 miles or so with her cell phone on the rear bumper of her Trailblazer a few weeks ago. Came in the house looking for, called it, and there it was. One of the wildest episodes of forgetfulness I saw happened a couple years ago, when a driver hooked his winch line to the tail end of his trailer, and drove off with it in gear. I'm trying to remember something that I forgot, but keep coming up empty.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Crocodile

Crocodile

My father, who is the most influential person in my life, is not really himself anymore. Not sure if it's alzhiemer's or dementia (is there much difference?), but he can't remember much of anything. The interesting thing is that he will remember car stuff more than anything. I took him to a car show a few years back, and he forgot he went an hour later, but he remembered where I told him I had bought the recently purchased 40 Ford. Another time, I stopped with a 32 sedan on the trailer, and he gave me shit about it being "rough", but he asked me about it a week later. Most recently, when I bought Bob's 33, he didn't remember Bob was gone. But two weeks later, I pulled in the driveway with it and he said, "You're driving Bob's car today." Yet, a boat we restored together 32 years ago, he doesn't know it is his. Cruel what the mind can do.
    If you can read this thread and follow along, well, I doubt you have much to worry about...

jim snow, 48fordnut, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  4. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Plenty of Senior moments going on lately!! Appears there is something to the quote “Can’t Remember Shit”

5. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I have a habit of writing sticky notes to remind me to read my sticky notes!!!!!

Deuces, 2935ford and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

You can hear that well? You lucky so&so:p

Sandgroper, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sometimes I get distracted doing something and forget what I was doing to start with, it usually comes back in a minute or two though. Worse thing is forgetting to pick up tools, I drove from home to Florence AL one afternoon in the semi truck and about the time I got to the second red light I thought about my AC gauges. I had added a can of freon before I left, running a few minutes late, and couldn't remember putting them back in the shop. I pulled the park brake at the light, stood up and looked down and out the passenger side window.....sure enough, there they lay on the step! I still don't know how they rode the 85 miles on that step, lucky I guess.

Hnstray, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Just you......and ME..............

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

:(

48fordnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I found my little magnetic base flashlight this morning, hanging from the trailer jack handle, after a night out in the cold, and a 15 mile trip to town. The missus just told me she forgot her kids in the grocery store about 25 years ago.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Transferred tools from my truck to her car to go work on the 56. Forgot to bring back spare key that I forget I left with earlier this week. Now I have zero keys to get into the car. "That's OK I'm just doing the pinion seal so I don't have to move it". Get there and unload only to realize the seal I had bought Monday is still in the center seat compartment. Good thing there's a NAPA very close to my Dads. Lets hope I remember to return the extra seal before I wonder why my weekly cash comes up short.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  12. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I thought "the rest of the story" was going to be something I've done at least twice (that I can remember!), namely left a bulky tool on the air cleaner or firewall, and after slamming the hood, noticed a couple of lumps in an area that was previously smooth.

13. I spend more time looking for the tool I just used, than I do actually working, but I have a brother with Alzheimer's, it is heart-wrenching to be asked who that lady is, as he points to his wife of 50 years.

14. I did that with my wife's Chrysler 300.....left the hard plastic air cleaner housing on top of the engine and closed the hood to go get a new filter....DOH! I drove the car down to the local paintless dent repair place [a buddy owns it] and he worked the dent out of the aluminum hood with a teeny wooden hammer..took about 20 minutes of tapping.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It may be possible to prevent or cure Alzheimer's with a flashing light at 40 cycles per second. There are quite a few articles on this, here is one.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-02391-6

Have also heard coconut oil is good for Alzheimer's.

16. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I buy probably 20 +/- car related magazines every month. A couple of years ago I started to tire of now-and-then inadvertently buying duplicates, which was particularly annoying when I didn't realize it until having read through half of the second copy. So now, I keep a log of my purchases. Occasionally I forgot to enter into the log, but I've pretty much got it under control now.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  17. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I rent several several 8 x 40 foot containers for storage of cars/parts (that are appreciating in value at a small fraction of the rental cost). Was rummaging through one of the containers for something I needed, and there in the far end was a fiberglass re-pop of a 50s Ferrari Testa Roadster body, of which I had no recollection. After much pondering, I came to the only possible conclusion. Clearly, someone had to have broken into the container, pulled out the "stuff" that was already there, put the body in the back, and replaced all the original contents.

About a year later, I ran across an old acqaintence. After exchanging pleasantries, he asked "Hey Desmo, did you ever do anything with that 'glass Ferrari body you bought from me?"

(If I've previously posted this story in another thread, I apologize!)

John Heckman, LAROKE, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  18. ..........:(

48fordnut and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

:(

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. Lothiandon, I did the same thing but didn't close the hood. I fired up the station wagon motor and heard a big BANG. Damn I left the drop light right near the fan. It threw the drop light out .Took a small piece of the bottom of the drop light out but it still worked. Good thing the motor had a fan shrould on it or it might of gone thru the radiator I had repaired a while ago. P.S. I also use a camara and stick post notes when working on a car now. Getting old sucks. LOL. Bruce.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Has anyone else bought parts for a car or project they sold years ago? I haven't done this but came close a few times.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Yes I have! Can't recall what the car or part was though...

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

23. pitman

pitman

"Blue" ones bring back memories! :rolleyes:

24. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

You discovered the cure for Alzheimer's. Simply fill an empty beer can with coconut oil, sip it every time you drive. You'll get the flashing blue light special every few miles

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

25. Are you kidding?:eek: Wait, what was the thread about?:confused:

26. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Got a real score at a swap meet on some parts i needed a while back. Paid the vendor and asked him to hold them for me for a couple of hours. Didn't bother to make mental notes of his location, what his spot looked like, or visual appearence of his truck. Be damned if I could find him later.

lothiandon1940, Deuces and 48fordnut like this.
  27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

At 58 I have noticed it happening more often.

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ What's happening!?

29. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Then I'm all set for a nap.

30. pitman

pitman

Wait, you mean that sizzor-fence on the running board wasn't meant to hold tools?