Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Are you your own worse critic?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 16, 2019.

1. Kinda thought I was yours ?

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. BJR

BJR

I had a neighbor who would always point out everything on an old car that he owned that was wrong. Whether he did it, or bought it that way. It was kind of sad because he was never happy with anything he owned as there was always something that could have been done better. Most of us never saw the flaws until he pointed them out.

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

I quit listening to critics a long time ago.

I do the best I can at the time, and move on. Sometimes I revisit some of the stuff I did earlier and redo it, or vow to do it differently the next time. There are times when I see things I have done before I wonder what I was thinking at the time, but its all part of the learning curve. I didn't know then what I know now, its unrealistic to criticize one's self for knowledge he didn't have at the time. To be honest, there are also times I have seen things I have done in my past and think how insightful and wonderfully executed that job was done.

I don't believe there is such a thing as lasting perfection. Something may be perfect until the next guy does something better, or something different, then it becomes the next example of perfection. Perfection also tends to be in the eye of the beholder. What is perfect to one person is a pile of crap to someone else. I do not intend to chase elusive things, life is too short for such stress. Gene

Just Gary, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. A Boner

A Boner

Was, until I got married!

5. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I do things to the best of my ability. Some times, some days, that's less than others. My skills and knowledge have grown as I have made more mistakes. I have one car that I've had since I was 16, I've redone most of it over the last 28 years. I could do better now, some things I have redone. Some are OK enough that they're not going to cause a problem and I can drive it. I'll get around to those later. Not a slacker, just enjoy driving and tinkering.

Devin

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Born a Virgo, can't help it.
    As I've aged I've had to lower the bar a bit though, things gotta get done.
    Or should I say "Git er done".

7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Absolutely.

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am definitely my own worst critic. I see every detail when im doing work. My friend, Richard says, "Once you see it, you can't unsee it." I'm afraid that holds true for me.

I have gotten better over the years and do less that I find fault with, however.

9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, I'm more like the Donald. I think I rule. It's the others that point their fingers at me, hahahhaahha

10. 62rebel

62rebel

My wife asked me what the hell was wrong with the roadster body I was building on my Jag frame after I cut it up... she thought it looked cool. I asked her why she didn't say that BEFORE I cut it up....So, I may be my own worst critic but my support staff could use some re-training....

11. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Yes I am. I can't leave well enough alone and end up making things worse.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

13. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

As I've gotten older, I've realized I become viciously critical of myself whenever I feel the need to negatively criticize something I either did or thought about doing.
    Guess that gets me a front row seat for the "I Love to Beat Myself Up Nationals."

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Am I my own worst critic? Yeah, since my old man died.

15. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I'm the type of person that won't rest until I'm happy with the way things on my car look and I'm my own worst critic. When I was plumbing the brakes on my '32 I did one line three times. I was using S.S. tubing and was done with the line. Most nights, some of the guy's would stop over and BS while I worked. The next night when they came over I was making a new line. They couldn't believe it. Well the next night, guess what. As they walked into my garage, I was bending up another new line. I won't even go into what some of them said and called me. We're all a little nuts right?

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I tend to be everyone else's worst critic!
    Sorry, it's just how I am!
    KK

nunattax, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. j3harleys

j3harleys

I read your post to my wife. She ask which one of our neighbors said that. :D

BJR, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. Crocodile

Crocodile

Of course. What a silly question.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I constantly see things that not the best they could be on my ride - see problems that others would miss u less I pointed them out. but, then comes along the idiot that points out what he believes are problems with everuone elses rides in his I can do no wrong mind because he won a trophy

20. This morning several of our club gathered at Cracker Barrel for breakfast and I posed this question and like you would expect the reply's were pretty much what has been said here, Gary is a original founding member of the club and has been building hot rods since I was a kid.

He said he use to be critical of his own work but finally decided many years ago that the only person he had to please was Gary, he said he does as good as he can and it never will be show quality and that's fine with him.

Gary had also made arrangements for the club to drove over to Warren Wolfs restorations to see his personal one off 33 aluminum body street rod roadster ( yeah it's a street rod) but this man is amazing and his main business is doing concourse body work and paint for the well heeled that take their cars to Pebble Beach and win big.

Warren is presently working on a Delahaye and a Dino Ferrari and I ask him the same question, He told me he absolutely is his own worst critic, and he has to be, when working on cars that cost millions his work has to be impeccable.

So today I talked to two men that love what they do and see both ends of the spectrum.

BTW, if you would like to see Warrens work click the link below. HRP

Royal Coachworks

KoolKat-57 and 3W JOHN like this.
  21. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

It used to be that I would do something and say "good enough". Then a day or two later I'd be all "No, fuck that--do it again or it will bug you forever".
    Now I've realized that if I don't have time to do it right, I certainly don't have time to do it twice.

22. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have always aimed for perfection. But in the rush of life.... paychecks, kids, house, bills, etc....I would accept somewhat less for the sake of the time involved. i.e. "It's not pretty, but it will work."
    When I retired, one of the first things I realized was that I was no longer in a hurry all the time. This translated into my work in the shop. Now it's, "That'll work, but I can make it prettier."

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  23. 48stude

48stude

This is me to a Tee

24. It works for me!:rolleyes:

25. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I am certainly my own worst critic. My friends kid me about being anal the way I do things and keep my shop clean. I really don’t like people to help me as I have my own way of doing things. When my friends give me a hard time I always tell “ the only person I have to please is myself”

26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

just do your best and your conscience will be clear.

27. Wanna come and clean my shop? :D As hard as I try my shop is a perpetual mess. :rolleyes: HRP

3W JOHN and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  28. Critic? Na at this stage of my life if I wake up that's ok, everything from there is a plus...................and I hate it when those who can't and won't, complain about those who do, hell just be a doer...........................

29. 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. j3harleys

j3harleys

That's me. Looks like we walk in the same shoes.

nunattax, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.