Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '33 driveshaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, May 18, 2019.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have a '33 ford rear end and need to shorten the torque tube and shaft. i have searched but nobody has done one of these it seems. i know how to cut the tube but what i was wondering about was the shaft. it is a roughly 1.500 dia tube and it appears that the input trans end is welded on and the rear part has a splined part welded on. can i just grind the weld out from one of the ends, then shorten the shaft the required amount and weld it back in?

2. alchemy

alchemy

Probably best to cut it in a lathe to keep things straight. Then make sure it's pressed into the tube straight, and check again after welding.

3. There were two driveshafts used in 1933. One was used with the 4 cylinder and the other was used with the V8. Any chance you have the long one and the shorter one would solve your problem?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  4. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

charlie, it is from a v8 car. what i want to know is, can i cut one of the ends off, then cut to length and press it together. the reason i am asking is because grinding down the weld and cracking the weld on a open driveshaft will make the yoke come right off.

5. low down A

low down A

33 and 34 are the driveshaft you look for when you want to put a v8 rear in a T or A, the best and easiest one to shorten. you answered your own question the answer is yes

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

here's a long winded tale of building a 34 drive shaft. its not an easy thing to do if you want it true and balanced i found, then the next guy will say he cut it with a hack saw and C clamped it to a piece of angle iron to weld it 30 years ago and works just fine. basics are, buy a new 4130 tube, use a lathe for the cuts and to check for true when done. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238891