Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anti Hot Rod & Muscle Car Enforcement by Wisconsin State Patrol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Apr 26, 2019.

1. A Boner

A Boner

Unfortunately in Wisconsin, it seems like the State Patrol is wanting to take things back to those days. They haven't tried to change the laws on the books yet.....but they are misinterpreting existing laws and hassling the shit out of our Hot Rod community.

2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Guys , I have been thinking about this long and hard. And I know a lot of you do not give a rats ass about car shows. But If we approach this as and contact your rep's with a " they are picking on me because I like hot rods" attitude it might not buy us as much clout as we think. But if we approach it by addressing the fact that there are hundreds of car shows in the state every weekend through out the season and that most of them raise money for various charities and that these shows will suffer in attendance lost and lost charitable donations because car guys and gals are afraid to travel through Wisconsin for fear of tickets and looseing their cars.. As I have stated before I have been a member of the Dells Area Cruisers since 1991 and we have been running Automotion since 1992. Granted we are the exception to the rule because we see a thousand plus cars over the weekend ,where most shows see a couple hundred or so. We give on average 5 to 6000 dollars a year to food pantries, Scouts, collage scholarship's , animal shelters, toys for tots, and many others. But I know if you could add up all the donations given by car clubs and shows put on by the communities that benefit from our classic car hobby. I think a lot more people would ask the state patrol what the hell they are doing. Also I travel a lot with my job and in the 48 years of driving I have lost 5 or 6 windshields from stones thrown up by trucks, tractors, farm trailers and every day cars what run off unto gravel shoulders. But I have never lost one to a highboy Model A! These are just my thoughts and suggestions but it always amazes me how government officials react when they realize their voters are not happy! Larry

3. A Boner

A Boner

Larry,
    Call your Representative and Senator from your district. They are very busy, but luckily they have Aids to assist them. The Aids answer the phone......will listen to you, ask additional questions and then Email you with answers to your questions! I called both, and was very impressed. Don't bother sending an Email.....CALL, you will be glad you did!
    Also watch for listening sessions in your district, like Chris Kapenga is having in my district on May 22nd.
    The squeaky wheel gets the oil.....especially if you squeak to the right person.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.

4. I was at a show Saturday and from what I found out it was around Dodgeville on 151.

5. I didn't know you could predict the future. Why not let the weekend play out and see what "really" happens ?

6. A Boner

A Boner

I predict it is going to rain at some point at Wisconsin Dells today.
    Hopefully the WSP Troopers will stay in their suv's and eat all their donuts, and everyone will be happy!

7. Speed~On

Speed~On

Keep in mind they are monitoring this thread. I certainly understand this is an incredibly frustrating situation; but lets not be our own worst enemy.

iwanaflattie, Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  8. A Boner

A Boner

What's not to like about donuts?

It's a sad time in our history, when the car enthusiasts have to band together to stop the law enforcers from overstepping their authority creating problems where no real problems have existed for years. There are far more severe problems in our society. As a tax payer, I'd like to see the problems in this country attacked in the order of their severity. If they want to fix a car problem, maybe they should do something about the teenage drug dealers driving 100 MPH on city streets in stolen cars and crashing into houses and knocking them off their foundations as the try to outrun the City Cops.

Monitor that crap!

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    iwanaflattie and PBRmeASAP like this.
  9. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I am currently at automation without my fenderless Roadster. We will see how it goes tomorrow I suppose. Gary;)

10. In Milwaukee it's a epidemic. The judges slap wrists in our state. How many times do we read about multi time repeat offenders. Several innocent people have been killed lately. In my town just south of me a kid recently while being chased hit a elderly couple in a parking lot. Severe injuries resulted with multiple amputations. The offender was on parole and waiting to go to court on other felony charges. I ask why was he out? Wsp you are hard workers how about going after real bad guys?

11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well Automotions attendance today was disappointing But they have been talking crappy weather all week and it was. Also we have been getting a lot of feed back about the on going problem on the parkway with the traffic congestion by all the young people that have been coming just to cruise with their tuner cars and 4x4 trucks in increasing numbers the last 5 or 6 years and a lot of long time attendees have been dropping out because they no longer want to deal with the traffic issues. Between the city police, 3 to 4 area county sheriffs department's and the WSP , police presence is very heavy. A lot of tickets have been issued since Thursday. As far as we have heard all the tickets have been issued to non Collector style cars. I feel bad for the kids because they are doing the same thing we would have done at their age. Cruise their cars ,see and be seen and enjoy the comorodity of their peers. There where a number of fender less rods at our event including Gary "Roadster1927" and the owners that I had an opportunity to talk to had encountered no problems with any law enforcement. Tomorrow the weather is suppose to be even crappier than today so I assume the turn out will be even worse. So Gary come back I got an award with your name on it ! lol Larry

Max Gearhead likes this.
  12. A Boner

A Boner

Was watching the weather forecast all week, and they were right! Wish that it would have been nice......as it would have been a better test of the WSP vs fenders situation.
    Next on the agenda is Wisconsin State Senator Chris Kapenga and his listening session.
    Hope we fill the Delafield City Hall with polite but pissed off Hot Rod voters.
    image.jpeg

13. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

We were going to come back sunday and some one stopped at our hotel and said the show was being shut down at 10 am, It was about 9:15 when we heard that, we got home about noon and drove through a lot of storms etc. It was about the worst weather I have been in the Roadster in the 35,000 miles I put on it! Larry It was great meating you and thanks for all you do up there! WET Gary

chop job and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Thanks Gary . Luckily we had everything packed by 11:30 because it came down in buckets as we started to pull out. Hopefully this 100 year flood thing we have had the last couple of years will be over next year! As far as cars getting tickets , the girls at the Visitor office will be receiving reports from the various police agency's and it will tell us what the tickets where issued and for what and what year the cars or trucks where. When we get that I will past the results on to this thread. Car events state wide bring in a lot of revenue for charities and community groups. So needless to say the revenue raised annually is staggering and these groups do not want car people from Wisconsin and surrounding states and their cars being chased off Wisconsin highways. Contact your representatives and local car groups and event planners ,get the word out . Hell if it had not been for this thread I would not have known anything about this either . Larry

15. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg The bogus tickets from the WSP, are only the tip of the iceberg. Last fall there were stories of a couple guys with newly built T buckets that couldn't get a title issued because of the bogus interpretation of the DOT laws. If you get a ticket, get a lawyer and fight it. But if you can't get your hot rod titled after building it following the DOT TRANS 305 laws, what do you do then? You have $20, $30, $40,000 invested, not to mention usually years of work. We need to get this BS straightened out! Hopefully CurtR or BobBleed can get Senator Chris Kapenga to follow up on this, at the Listening Meeting on Wednesday evening in Delafield. Bob's Shop, Midwest Fabrication is actually in the 33rd District that Chris Kapenga serves!

Hope the Hot Rod Hoodlums living near Delafield will attend the meeting this Wednesday!

Larry, will be watching for your update on the Wisconsin Dells Car Show incidences with the WSP! Hopefully the Local Police and County Sheriffs concerned themselves with real problems.

16. A Boner

A Boner

Bump to the front page.....someone needs to do it.....the Delafield meeting is tomorrow, May 22nd, from 7:00-8:00 in the evening.
    Attend, or cry your eyes out, some day in the future!

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  17. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I will be there with my wife! Gary

Stogy, a boner and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  18. A Boner

A Boner

image.png 500 North Genesee Street is the address of the Delafield City Hall
    Genesee Street is also called Hwy C
    Use Hwy C exit off of hwy 16, and drive South a few miles
    Use Hwy C exit off of I-94, and drive North a few blocks

19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Be polite.
    State your concerns in a even tone.
    Do not make accusations.
    It’s a discussion.
    First impressions mean a lot.
    A honest open attitude looking for answers leaves room for working together to solve the issue.
    If I was attending I would have a list of how many shops,restaurants,vintage car owners live in the district and how this affects them and mention that they vote.
    Welcome to politics.
    That’s just my opinion. Yours and others may vary.

20. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Asking legislators to re-write a law that already seems fairly clear as posted here might help, but that would only happen over a long period of time.

Taking cases to court, even if the accused wins every time, won't necessarily stop WSP from writing tickets if there's someone up the food chain with a hard-on for hotrods.

The person who can stop it in the blink of an eye is your state Attorney General. He's your top law enforcement official and the person who's empowered to issue rulings on "interpretations" that appear to be the work of some cowboy in WSP. IOW, he's the one person in your state (other than the Governor) with the authority to say "This shit stops now" and make it happen pretty much instantly.

All law enforcement at the state level is a part of the executive branch, as is the AG. The most direct, and by far the most efficient, means of getting this turned around is by dealing directly with the executive branch. It appears this started under your state's previous administration where both the Governor and the AG were Republicans. Both seats are now held by Democrats, and its a simple political truth that any politician loves to right any wrong that he (she) can claim to be a policy of the opposite party.

Stogy, 0NE BAD 51 MERC and Hnstray like this.
  21. Good points the last couple posts and I hope the mods will see clear to keep this one going. Unfortunately politics is what got us into this mess and is the only way to get out of it.

Stogy, 0NE BAD 51 MERC and Hnstray like this.
  22. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I hope to see a bunch of you locals there tonight. Gary:)

Stogy and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  23. Speed~On

Speed~On

This afternoon I had a great conversation with my WI Legislative Rep. I explained my concerns and the current state of Trans Chp. 305 and the WSP. They thanked me for reaching out and they too said they will begin looking into this.

The 4 listening sessions in my district have already occured for Spring. However, both my Senator and Legislator will hold another joint listening session soon. They will schedule it in about a month. They have my contact information and stated they will email the time and date. I will post it on here when I get the info.

If you have not called your WI Reps yet, please do! They want to hear from you! You voted for them and they want to work for you. They need to know about this. The only way this is going to change is if we make some noise.

Stogy, partsdawg and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  24. A Boner

A Boner

I agree, call instead of sending an Email....much more effective! You will probably talk to an aid who will listen, ask questions and give that info to the Senator or Representative.

Stogy and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  25. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I sent off a letter to Rep Vruwink and Senator Ringhand. Used a lot of words from this post. Vruwink has responded saying he'll look into it (probably an automatic response), Ringhand has not acknowledged the email as of today 5/22.

Based on the outcome of the listening session, my next step is to call. I plan to call again once we have information on the outcome if any on June 13, or when ever they get around to the hearing.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Speed~On

Speed~On

@hotrod1948 Janis is also my Rep and I know her personally. I suggest calling her office. Her staff is super friendly and they are down to earth people. The more of her constituents she hears from, the better. Thank you for being an active participant in this fight. For their next listening session we shall prepare. Part of that will be contacting all the car clubs in this district. There are numerous and they are quite active clubs.

I wish I could have made it to Delafield tonight. Its a hike...but who cares....this is an incredibly important issue.

Stogy likes this.
  27. At Senator Kapenga's Delafield, Wis. listening session, he announced that the three tickets given to Dodgeville Brad and his 32 Ford coupe have been dismissed by the District Attorney of Iowa County in Wisconsin.

Because of the ticket dismissal the June 13 Dodgeville Wis. Court hearing has been cancelled.

Why The tickets were dismissed, I don't know, a boner may have that info, he is Kapenga's constituent.

I have written confirmation that the tickets have been dismissed but, BUT Brad must have Wisconsin State Patrol inspect the 32. Brad's 32 can't be driven until it passes the WSP inspection.

The Senator also stated he would help us in any other issues.

Curt R

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  28. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Curt. Thanks for the update. Will there be anyway to follow up on the WSP inspection and what Brad needs to do to be able to drive his car and how this will effect others driving Modified cars in Wisconsin? As usual more questions than answers. Larry

Stogy likes this.
  29. Larry,

I will do a complete follow up on this thread after the WSP inspection. The inspection date is unknown at this time. Usually WSP will do the inspection within two weeks after the person has been notified by WISDMV.

Curt R

Speed~On and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  30. A Boner

A Boner

Just got home from the Listening Session. We sort of got lost in the crowd. Senator Kapenga at one point said he was actually a car guy! One hot rod guy got to speak. Guess we aren't the only citizens that don't like stuff going on in the State Government. The rest of the people who got a chance to talk mainly talked about school problems.
    They have a general idea of what is going on at the WSP, all you need to do is CALL THEM and give them some personal details. My concern is the title and registration stuff. The law books say my coupe doesn't need fenders. If I get a ticket, with a lawyer, I should be able to get it dismissed. But if you try to title a hot rod, you are at the mercy of the WSP Inspector and his misinterpretations of what the intent of the law actually was.
    The most time effective way to help the cause is to CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS! Don't bother to Email, CALL THEM!

Use this.....enter your address, then click on "Find My Legislator"......THEN CALL THEM!

https://legis.wisconsin.gov/

Last edited: May 22, 2019