Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help identifying. Thinking 33 Buick...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Geinnraptor, May 18, 2019.

1. Geinnraptor

Geinnraptor

Can anyone help me identify this....it appears to me to be a 33 Buick country club coupe.....but the door for the golf clubs appears to not be entirely square like the country club coupes were. Can anyone help more? Google is no help.

Its rough i know. I pulled it from the woods in Northern Michigan.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  2. Geinnraptor

Geinnraptor

3. No help but good save.

weps likes this.
  4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Memory says a Mopar relative... maybe a Rockney ?...

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. F&J

F&J

It's not a 33 Buick, and I am pretty sure it's not any year of Buick. The swoopy tail is fairly uncommon. Some styling features point to a car made in 1932.

Try looking at orphan makes of coupes. Hupmobile, Hudson, Studebaker, etc

kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Leaning toward the Studebaker/Rockne. 1932-33 vintage.

7. Geinnraptor

Geinnraptor

Did many of them have the golf club door on the passenger side like that? Buick was the only maker i could find in that era that did that. 32 came down in the rear and didnt sweep out....which leads me to believe its a 33. But....i am not sure of anything really.

8. Buick, Cadillac and I think Lincoln had the golf club door.
    Other high end manufacturers did as well.
    I would focus on that to find the answer.

But as I usually say, it’s a fu!?ing dodge some one put the golf club door on !o_O

9. Looks an awful lot like this 1933 Studebaker President coupe.... 1933 Studebaker President Speedway Coupe.jpg

Nailhead A-V8, 1Nimrod, weps and 6 others like this.
  10. F&J

F&J

I just spotted something that really points to Studebaker. The "belt line moulding" under the side windows is very fat, that you will see on 32-33 Studebakers.

On a bing image search, I saw a 32 Stude coupe with that beavertail rear deck panel but it was a 3 window coupe, not like the mystery 5 window. Other pics of 32 Stude coupes showed a more common rear body tail. But, Stude made at least 3 body/chassis sizes/models back then.

EDIT...31 Dodger typed faster... He got it for sure.

A golf door leans towards a bigger/higher priced model. So, I'd suggest to keep looking at the different models of 32-33 Stude coupes to see if there was a 5 window with that beavertail.

Right around those years Stude had used model numbers, but soon went to model names like Commander, Dictator and the biggest was President.

Nailhead A-V8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Geinnraptor

Geinnraptor

It sure does! Thanks everyone so much. I can imagine finding doors for this will be quite a chore

12. You had better go back to those woods and have another look for those doors.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Geinnraptor

Geinnraptor

Yeah, i combed the area and grabbed everything.

14. Geinnraptor

Geinnraptor

Fenders were there but i think a screen door is more structurally sound than the fenders would be....plus someone at some time balled them all up.

15. I see the car had sidemounts like the one in the photo I posted. Do I see a handle for the rear/rumble seat window still attached?

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

3 hinges, non suicide doors, but the cowl top tilts back as if they were...
    find out what fits, take pix, post them with a want add...
    they are so odd a seller may not know what they are from... HIH.

17. Geinnraptor

Geinnraptor

This? Forgive me.....i am learning alot about this car as i am researching. You guys have helped me a ton also.

Attached Files:

Nailhead A-V8 and 31Dodger like this.
  18. F&J

F&J

Yes, that's the opening rear glass. Also I can see a rumble seat hinge in the very lower left of the pic. I would think every President coupe would be a rumble seat, rather than trunk model.

Edit, I looked at the pic of the back end of the car on your trailer. You can see the water drain drip channels for a rumble seat. Those don't have a drip channel across the bottom edge, but a trunk model does.

19. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

20. Geinnraptor

Geinnraptor

Yes it does look very close to a Rockne. I suppose finding doors for mine will be virtually impossible.

21. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Its a GOOD looking car.
    Not to be a smart ass, but a few ideas (what I would do)
    1) Call or visit the Studebaker Museum in South bend, They have in archives ALL of the Studebaker 'stuff'. 2) visit and see in person, how a finished car looks like, take tons of pics and a dressmakers tape measure along.
    3) join a Studebaker club (no affiliation) to get their newsletter for parts, etc (lots of old guys don't "DO" the internet)
    4) make a paper template of what the door opening is. Stiff, but easy to roll up. take with you to swap meets, etc.
    visit the occasional odd door, unroll your piece. you might find something similar..
    5) I went to one particular swap meet, the guy had the SAME orphan Auburn door for years, finally someone that needed it bought it.
    6) give up on the project, and PM me a price on what you have....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

23. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

What parts are you looking for?

24. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I like it. But I'd probably have to shorten up that tail a little.

25. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Sweet looking old ride I'll take two to go...

1Nimrod

26. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

That tail is what makes it cool and smmoooth looking... Man they could build car's back then, it's a beautiful car what's left of it. Wonder what stories that old car could tell us! Was it left in the big woods of Upper Michigan by gangster's back in the 30's hiding from the law? The lines are so classy it's a Cool old ride...

1Nimrod

27. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If it had fenders, ok. But with the condition those fenders are in Im betting this one ends up a highboy...and with that, the tail would seem out of place.

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Just imagine a wedding dress on a big busted beautiful bride with the long train following down the aisle. This would make a really cool tail dragger. I`d be interested in it. But I have to many irons in the fire right now. But just maybe. Do you need a bed for your pickup.

29. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

old post... but look for a four door the door quite often are similar to a 5 W coupe...

30. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8