Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***May 2019 Banger Meet - May all 4 stay in the block***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Apr 30, 2019.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, I had taken it all apart and cleaned it up squeaky clean.
    The roads are so rough after this winter, the potholes will jar your teeth...

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I ran a 6V starter on 12V. I thought I it was only a matter of time until I killed it. I ran it for 2 years. I did however put on a modern starter drive instead of the old exposed spring Bendix. it is my understanding those old springs are likely to break when 12V is put to them. Cheap insurance with the new drive. I upgraded to a 12V starter when I got my new motor.

Dannerr and waxhead like this.
  3. joe1932

joe1932
    from NY

I had same problem on new build. Everything was brand new. Switched to 12V no more problems. I had starter and generator rebuilt to 12V. I would not waste money on 6V system ever again. Joe

JT1930 likes this.
  4. JT1930

JT1930

@joe1932 i would have gone 12v but maybe later down the road. For now I got a high torque starter in 6 volt version.

Dannerr likes this.
  5. Big John M

Big John M
    from New York

Got the banger block back yesterday new Babbitt, bored & decked done by Aldrich Antique Engine, Shawn got done a week earlier than expected... Got it on the engine stand this afternoon getting ready for assembly of my first banger build..

Dannerr, winduptoy and Binger like this.
  6. Piewagn

Piewagn

Hey fellas! It's been a while for me.....good to see the banger crowd still hangin' out! Was on a road trip recently and the exhaust flange at the header broke, I had a side dump pipe, EXTREMELY NOTICABLE increase in power and hill pulling power. So, I ditched the side dump and went with a straight pipe out the back......she's VERY happy now!!

Tim, Dannerr, burl and 5 others like this.
  7. I have not done it, but some Model A guys run an 8 volt for better starting. don't need to redo everything.

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

but generator does not like 8v

9. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need to replace leaky gas shutoff valve in my Banger. Mechnics Handbook makes no mention of thread sealant.
    Advice please?

10. I used liquid teflon on mine.

11. railcarmover

railcarmover

No need to convert,6v starter handles 12v just fine,just make sure the bendix bolts are correct and good.Often a sluggish 6v starter needs a good cleaning and fresh brushes.

Dannerr likes this.
  12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

liquid Teflon is great for fuel lines

Dannerr likes this.
  13. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Traveling last week, stumbled onto a king-sized banger! Unfortunately they didn't open the hood while I was there... 908885F8-F080-4C2B-8CD2-EFFC85C28D56.jpeg B8474E00-A5CE-463F-8F73-8B5D2ACEAFE2.jpeg

The37Kid, Dannerr and winduptoy like this.
  14. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

4C4BAAD2-BFF7-40C3-8F95-CC80377FE7CE.jpeg 421F3C21-E292-4492-8B31-6914832C2754.jpeg Thing is built like a tank!

GuyW, Dannerr, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  15. JT1930

JT1930

A8CCA3B1-CAAB-4DDF-9DA5-50190BA84C9C.jpeg

Well HAMB’ers I swapped the Winfield head off for the stock head. Started right up. The f150 trans is awesome. 60-63 mph on the highway today. Round trip about 100ish miles.

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

good looking car , glad its running

JT1930 likes this.
  17. Hey Guys - I'm a flathead V8 guy . . . and have seen countless Bangers over the years - in cars, at the Antique Nats, Bonneville, TROG, you get the point.

Anyway, ran into a bunch of early V8 and Banger stuff - I know all about the V8's, associated values, who wants what, etc.. BUT - I don't know what is going on in the 4 Banger crowd. Given the various vintage trends, would it be wise to pickup some Good Model B engines, counterweighted cranks, etc? It is all stock stuff - but a good foundation for people who build Bangers.

How hard are Model B (and some say 'C') engines to find these days, what are prices like for cleaned, magged blocks, high-quality reground cranks (counterweighted ones - not pressed on either), etc.

How about Model B fuel pumps . . . what are they going for (rebuilt with modern diaphragms, etc).

How about 32-34 transmissions - stock gears, etc..

I may not use the stuff - but might pick it up, tear apart everything, have everything cleaned and ready for machine work, etc.. BUT - if nobody gives a crap and the stuff isn't worth the effort, then I won't waste my time.

What say you???
    B&S

waxhead likes this.
  18. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I think it would be good to pick up. There is always a good demand for good A and B blocks. Counterbalanced cranks too. I was at Burt’s model A last summer and the engine builder says he finds about 1 in 9 blocks brought in are buildable. B blocks are harder to find IMO. I think that stuff should be easy to sell here.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

If Tod ever gets his block program off the ground, they may become obsolete.

Sent from my SM-J320P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. railcarmover

railcarmover

No winfield head?

21. Thanx, @Binger.
    And so I did. I knew, I was in the 11th hour, not having any time being a new dad, but this went way out of control!
    I went to ebay, to find a decent one, and went with the Holley 12-804, going for $32. But shipping would be after the weekend, so I phoned the local US-parts dealers, and the two, who had them, had them priced at $82. Looking into finding another pump, with no succes, time kept ticking, and I was as late as 3 days before take-off, before I decided to pick the overpriced one up. But that don’t come with plugs and nipples, which I normally can make at work, but with no time left, I had to pay for those too. Totalling- hold on to your hats, gents- $167!

So, this past friday I set out for the just shy of 4 hour trip, to be at my little brothers confirmation the next day. And car ran great!
    Below are pictures from his big day; at the church, when we stopped by Hunseby Strand (beach) and Bandholm Elektricitetsværk (power staion), one of the kuulest could-be-a-great-garage-buildings in the (my, at least) world, where I played alot as a kid.

Thanks again for your inputs, @Binger, they are highly appriciated!
    IMG_4160.JPG IMG_4164.JPG IMG_4168.JPG

Keep ‘em kruzin!

Dannerr

Shutter Speed, Jet96, Binger and 3 others like this.
  22. JT1930

JT1930

453944B4-FEEC-4C59-A5D9-E49EE690050B.jpeg @railcarmover at the moment stock head. I’m going to get the head relieved a little. See if that helps with starting.

Shutter Speed, Dannerr, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  23. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Glad you got your car running well. Looks like a great day and a nice trip.

Dannerr likes this.
  24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have a Super Winfield that turned out to be 8.7:1 when the combustion chambers were measured. I am considering having a relief cut made to clear any piston pop up that I have. I didn't measure it before I put the Snyder 6:1 on there. I am up in the air about what I should do with it. I really want to use this head as it was stashed away many years ago by my dad. I am at 6000' elevation so I don't believe it will be too much for my motor. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I have been talking to @winduptoy about this and still haven't made up my mind about what I am going to do. I am interested to hear how yours works once you relief cut your head.

Dannerr, Jet96 and JT1930 like this.
  25. railcarmover

railcarmover

The distance between the top of the piston at TDC and the combustion chamber is called the quench. Ideal quench is .040 .To figure quench you need to know piston protrusion,how much the piston sticks out of the block at TDC and factor head gasket 'crushed'.Generally fly cutting piston reliefs in the head equal to the piston protrusion from the deck yields a quench of head gasket crush..about .050

JT1930 and Binger like this.
  26. JT1930

JT1930

With the model b premium gasket from Snyder’s I had a little over .050 of clearance. We’re going to be putting in the Bridgeport and milling it’s a bit. The motor spun by hand so the piston was no where near the head to stop it.

Dannerr likes this.
  27. railcarmover

railcarmover

If you didnt hit the head its doubtful that raw compression is causing your starter drag...the fly cut for piston relief doesn't drop the compression that much.

Dannerr likes this.
  28. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

This is true, 6v starter still starts my 8:1. It's slow(er) but it starts fine even down in the 30's. I would check brushes/ bushings, brush connectors, etc.
    -slightly bent shaft caused me grief on an old Chevy once, it would spin fine outside but not when engaged in the ring gear. Just my 2-1/2¢

Dannerr likes this.
  29. I've been forgetting to post results of our outing at Buttonwillow Raceway the 1st weekend of May: With the best setup (chassis & engine) I've had in years I qualified first in our Race Group (PreWar/Historics) withe a Lap Time of 2:24.303 (a personal best) for the 3.1 mile road course. I beat out a Cadillac-Allard J2X and a Morgan Plus four. There were ten other cars in the race. Our car was hitting over 105 m.p.h. down the 3800 foot back straight, through a wide banked right turn and past a 20 degree left kink turn; before I had to hard brake a hard right uphill turn! But, in the main event my carbs began to dismantle themselves. So, not wanting to be the Group's "Torch Barer" I shut down!
    2014-04-19 14.57.58.jpg BE.2019.by.chris.benson (2).jpg

winduptoy, Dannerr, waxhead and 3 others like this.
  30. JT1930

JT1930

Well I’m going to try the head again because I had a few other changes in doing the head also. The new rope seal in front was in there nice n tight staging the motor a little and the new babbit rod for #4 was installed. We’ll see. Maybe with everything broken in with no Drag will spin to motor fast enough for the 6.1 head.

Dannerr likes this.