Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Headlight Advice!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, May 16, 2019.

1. Should I have painted these headlights to match the body? I thought black looked good as it matches the frame and other details.... IMG_20181019_171622.jpeg IMG_20190516_175540.jpeg IMG_20190516_180112.jpeg IMG_20190516_180512.jpeg IMG_20190516_175857.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Should I have" takes away from what you feel in my book. Either color is fine with me.

j3harleys and Nicholas Coe like this.
  3. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I'm painting mine to match the body. Makes it look more complete to me.
    SPark

B Bay Barn, loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  4. My mechanic added them as shipped with a black crinkle finish. He said we could always paint them later!

loudbang likes this.

5. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

As your mechanic said, you can always paint them to match the car. I would paint them, if it was my car. Your choice.

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I like it here's why.
    It looks like. Hot Rod.

Those are sealed beams,correct?

Sealed beams in a universal black bucket....very period in my opinion.

One of the more recent trends has been the original style OEM '32 lights like you have in the first photo. Honestly I think the big OEM lights really belong on a stock car.

The black sealed beam buckets look like a period upgrade. It looks genuine to me.

trollst, jim snow and Nicholas Coe like this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Crinkle isn't a color. That changes everything. You should change the finish then.

8. That is actually what one of my hotrod mentors said. I prefer the smaller ones.
    Thank you!

Nick

loudbang and F-ONE like this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Black makes them look like aftermarket lights in my opinion. Body color or chrome would look better.

loudbang, zzford and Nicholas Coe like this.
  10. robracer1

robracer1

leave them black, when every is the same color it takes away some of the detail you added

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  11. Not what you're asking...but I like the look of the headlights being further forward (like in the first picture) moreso than where the new headlights brackets put them. But that's only my opinion and it's your car.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  12. I prefer the looks of the smaller lights mounted forward where the large lights were. Either color, but the body color looks more finished. JMHO though.

Mick

clem and Nicholas Coe like this.
  13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I like the old ones better, color, location and size

14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Move em forward, any color, you asked

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  15. Hey Nicholas, I don't usually offer opinions on other people's car, but you've asked quite a number of times for others input along the way. So, please don't take this as a slam on your car, but I started to think...what if I bought your car...what would I do to it to make it mine? This would be the plan for my new car:
    • wheels would be swap meet bound...I'd be looking for a set of Halibrand Sprints, American Torque thrusts, chrome reversed, Radir Rockets, or Crager SS...sizes 15x4.5 or 5's for the front, 15x7 or 8's for the rear
    • the old tires would go with the wheels...I'd be looking for near cartoon rubber rake for an open wheel car say front tires 155 x 15, rear 30 x 9 x 15 or 30 x 10 x 15 (maybe even pie crusts)
    • along with the new rubber rake, I would raise the tail a bit to exaggerate the rake and to get the top of the rear wheel arch to match the tire
    • the fasteners around the firewall would be made to blend in (body color paint)
    • cowl lamp would go with the wheels
    • hard to tell, but the grill shell might get lowered (difficult to tell...in some of the photos it looks too high, though it could be camera tricks)
    • I would build a hood top so it looks a bit more finished, but still gave a peekaboo look to the engine candy
    • the headlights (either large or small) would be moved forward to their original position using the original stands...the headlights would be painted body color
    • the headers would be replaced with headers or manifolds that fit the exhaust between the frame and the engine, and the exhaust would be run under the car to the rear
    • interior would be white tuck and roll with maroon piping and the top insert would be in place (might even consider white tuck and roll panel for that 60's show car vibe)
    • engine color would be changed...probably to white (same as interior) and the valve cover would get polished (losing the black between the fins)
    • the spark plug wires would be re-routed to the back of the engine behind the valve covers
    • I'm also also considering painting the firewall white
    • I'd experiment with polishes to see if I could bring more shine to the maroon paint
    • I'd add some pinstripes
    I'm kinda digging the way my new car is coming along...now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Nicholas Coe likes this.
  16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Personally I would paint to match the car. But, it is your car, so whatever you like.

clem, loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  17. Awesome advice! Please continue the feedback as I make more changes. Nick

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. Here's the front end headlight placement. This part drove us nuts but we finally chose this setup to go with the shock mounts. IMG_20190517_163943.jpeg IMG_20190517_163920.jpeg IMG_20190517_163913.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  19. Should have left the big headlights on. Plus the headlight should align with the front edge of the grill. IMHO

clem, lothiandon1940 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  20. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

body color.

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  21. Individualism......... Why ask what others think? I don't get it....... Cool is in the eye of the beholder.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  22. I'm asking here as we don't have many old school guys in my area. I'm looking for various opinions about the styles of the 1960s. I value everyone who has commented on my build. I assure you that I will build a car that represents my personality but I hope to also represent the late 1960s era correctly.

Thank you!

Nick

Jim Bouchard and loudbang like this.
  23. I'll definitely be asking about polishing help soon! IMG_20190516_180512.jpeg

24. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Personally I like body color, blends better with the whole of the car. I would machine a cool part to go between the headlight bucket and the headlight stand instead of that Total Performance part that came with the T bucket kits. It could be made of stainless, aluminum, or steel, a donut or tapered sided ring or a ribbed donut to match the stand. Small detail that would be cool. Its going to be a nice car either way.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  25. Thank you!

26. In the time frame we are all aligned with, you didn't see many original head lights, they came in later in the resto rod era.

27. I agree!

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I agree.

nochop likes this.
  29. F&J

F&J

I went to HS in the 60s, and here in the Northeast, rods were not cookie cutter Y2K trend builds like many are today.

You are doing fine with your car for a young person not even born in the 60s. If the car is not your personality, then why own it.

as far as not having any old rodder guys in your area? You will find them when you start using it a lot for errands, or just out getting gas, ...they will flock to that car and then tell you what they had when young.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  30. Do you find yourself sitting in the garage just staring at the headlights and second guessing yourself? Give yourself a break- they look fine either way- when you get tired of the black- paint them body color . Don’t have over-think this stuff..

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nicholas Coe likes this.