Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What part of building a car do you dread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 17, 2019.

1. Me with dat also.

2. Slopok

Slopok

Selling it after all that work!:(

3. Cleaning up the garage after the build and trying to find the top of the work bench. Putting tools away.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

5. fordflambe

fordflambe

I dont mind taking the money out of my wallet.........but instead i dread finding the money to build it the way i want to build it. Usually means selling something i dont really want to sell.

6. I have been a member of that club also. HRP

7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Getting started. I’d rather part out a car than build one.
    Yeah..... I ain’t right in the head.

HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It's has got to be the money, the older I've gotten it seems like I have lost the ability to compromise....

9. raymay

raymay

Always hard to let go of those little green pictures of dead Presidents. Wiring is probably something I prefer not to get to involved with especially now that I am older and do not find it very comfortable laying under a dash. If I am working with someone more knowledgeable, I am a great helper.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. 2935ford

2935ford

The tear down knuckle busting frozen bolts and cleaning up 50-70 years of rust, grease and oil.

11. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Body work, but I seem to be getting a little better too!!!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Never add up receipts, it will only give you a HEADACHE and stop FUTHER progress that day.

'49 Ford Coupe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

The money . Starting a project and having the funds to finish and then something else comes that takes the money and the project is put on the back burner , I'm in that now with my 36 Chevy truck and it sucks.

HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  14. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

15. 1930BeachRat

1930BeachRat

I absolutely love doing everything, rust repair, body work, wiring, I even love shaping the foam and trimming my seats from scratch, I’m not going to say I’m the cream of the crop at everything but I love it all

Wired Customs LLC, Virginia Restorations and Customs

16. morac41

morac41

56 Don...... X 2

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I hate paint work..I can weld patch panels , I like wiring , I can set up rear end's , I love building engines and any chassis work. I FREAKING HATE FILLER AND BLOCK SANDING!!! Thats why its good to have friends that can't wrench but can paint with their eyes closed:rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sanding. Don't mind mechanical work, wiring, even painting. But hate sanding.
    And I hate it when something electrical won't work, you trace the wiring, everything is plugged up, but no juice. A wire or a plug not making an electrical connection, even though they are fastened together in plain sight, like a bulb plugged into a socket but won't work, plug it in another one and it works, and the socket checks good for juice, but just won't connect due to that invisible corrosion you can't see.....uuuugggghhhh!

osage orange and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. I used to dread wiring but after a couple of bikes I actually kind of like it now.

I kind of enjoy painting... but like others here I dread the bodywork, more specifically rust repair. I have NO idea how i'm gogin to get teh body on my car up to a level I'm going to like. Imnot talkign show car here, just passable. As in, everything more or less fits together.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without a shadow of a doubt...... Body and paint!!! I have figured out over the last 40 years that I have the bondo/bodywork/welding skills of a 3 year old with no fingers on either hand.

metlmunchr, HOTRODPRIMER and lumpy 63 like this.
  21. BINGO.....

22. Stupid Jobs getting in the way of building time..........I gotta play the lottery.

23. Looks like I'm not the only one that dreads body work. ;) HRP

morac41 and dana barlow like this.
  24. Dealing with budgets at the end when it’s all the stupid little stuff that needs finished.

It’s easy to see value in welded metal or lights working and shined paint and chrome.
    Nobody sees the time or expense inside a door, in stupid little brackets that are virtually invisible, stupid clips that cost a fortune but will keep a car off the road, 40 hrs into making the glass actually fit and work. Spacing or extensions on door handles so the work with thicker plusher upholstery.
    All that’s fine to do. But that’s also where funds dry up. And why an unfinished car is common

25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Have fun learning* ,as I did stuff,much do too buddy's in the car clubs in late 50s n early 60s. Not long ago I had to learn to sew,that was something I had a friend do for me,but Nuwet passed away about 20 years back ,so I had to do my own seats an panels.
    But I super hate paper work getting through DMV=black hole of hell full of fools.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Someone may enjoy my funny DMV story. I like most people dread the DMV.
    Two old cars I have had since the 70s I never titled them in my name...just say in a barn to be restored "one day".
    I had signed titles but misplaced them. One car owner passed, other I bought out of state. I called DMV, I was going to have to jump through 20 hoops, pay a lot $, wait a long time. Most likely involve an attorney.
    I was telling this to my insurance agent and he said when he bought his office there was an old Plymouth wagon in the garage, he needed a title to send to crusher. DMV you can get a title for abandoned vehicle on your place. I went this route.
    You have to place a small ad in local paper, after I'm guessing a couple weeks you then pay $10...they send a title.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Favorite is fabricating and chassis building, like wiring, body panel work and straightening, painting is no problem but I HATE block sanding---days of seeing no change in appearance but absolutely necessary if a nice finished project is your goal. Hard to get a good picture for all the reflections:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

OK, so if I can have second "favorite"..... removing fuel tanks. Doesn't matter if it's on the ground or a lift, somehow the fuel always runs down your arm. So much more enjoyable when it's sour and runs down to your armpit too.

Nostrebor and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Department of Motor Vehicles

bchctybob, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

You and me.

Dave Mc likes this.