Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. gonzo

gonzo

Looks like a cool car with some history.

loudbang likes this.
  2. upspirate

upspirate

He only wanted a dollar for it!!!! LOL
    At least it made me get away from the computer and go finish a project I am working on....

3. I would take the Flag and leave the rest:confused: and i thought this one in NZ was Bad!! JW
    [​IMG]

gonzo, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

And he says to make him an offer, so maybe you can get it for less! :confused:

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Hanging that IFS with rack and pinion out front along with the electric pusher fan is definitely bad, just not quite to the level that purple crap is!

6. loudbang

loudbang

7. upspirate

upspirate

loudbang likes this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wow I must really be Hot rod deprived this spring :D
    I saw this driving down the road here this afternoon while I was doing a little parts chasing.
    I actually didn’t hate it :D
    Looked like the guy driving it was having fun.
    206A92A0-08D5-4C8B-9B21-67C7F2D83F18.jpeg 8A4A3603-6A18-40E6-AB58-15881E5AE695.jpeg

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Besides that the ugly stuff on it is minimal.
    It’s got a decent angle to the steering wheel and column too instead of the usual school bus wheel position :eek::D

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  10. It does have a lot of promise but I can't work out why the tie rod had to go out front ! JW

11. Monkey see; monkey do...esn't know any better.

12. RodStRace

RodStRace

Total Performance (now Speedway) built them this way for many years and was the most prolific kit builder.
    A pic of the old kit chassis

[​IMG]
    Speedway now sells Vega cross steer on most all kits. The Tribute still has traditional steering but the tie rod is behind for proper Ackermann.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Tribute-T-Bucket-Frame-Kit,46195.html

I'd guess the big reason is to avoid sneaking the tie rod through the space behind the axle which may have;
    Frame
    cross spring
    hairpins/four link/radius rods
    steering linkage (for traditional steer)
    panhard rod (cross steer)
    Radiator
    shock or shock mount
    light mounts
    In this case, it's got a panhard rod, coil springs (the springs don't locate the axle side-to-side, so the rod is needed) Spring/shock mount, and cowl lights taking up valuable space for the tie rod.
    tfront.jpg

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. There is nothing in the way behind that axle and the chassis you showed above has correct Ackerman where the green T has incorrect Ackerman. JW

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    RodStRace and loudbang like this.
  14. RodStRace

RodStRace

26 T, I agree that
    1. there is room behind the axle and under the frame (If the panhard frame mount isn't too deep)
    2. it has incorrect ackermann (tie rod ends ahead of axle are narrower than kingpins)
    3. The TP chassis has tie rod wider than kingpins (correct ackermann).

I still prefer having the tie rod behind the axle. Many home builders have made a bunch of changes to components and ride height and were not able/willing to fabricate or purchase the parts needed to tuck the tie rod behind. I know the TP design shown does make it work, but it looks like the 'wrong' ones and detracts both in being right out there in your face and resembling the poor attempts. Just my own prejudiced opinion. The reply was all to kind of explain why it was out there, to go along with the Monkey See, comment.
    I'd personally strip all that stuff off the front and go with either a regular leaf spring (cheaper, easier) or get a good builder to fab up a Dan woods style front suspension. BUT, it's not my car, and it's built, running and driving while mine is not, so I can't say $#!*....

brad2v, Driver50x, brEad and 4 others like this.
  15. Just reinforcing my original comment. i agree with what you say above.:) JW

RodStRace, loudbang and AndersF like this.
  16. AndersF

AndersF

One thing thats its easy to forget is that internet helps alot to do things right today.
    Just go back to around the milleniashift and a computer was not in everybodys possesion.
    You just have to built after tips in magasines, maybe books, asking other builders if you know one and by looking on other builds.
    Today its just to go to a forum and ask do his work?

17. RodStRace

RodStRace

A couple more I spotted...
    Has a pic of an ad with Reggie Jackson - could be the same car but does not say... 14K
    https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/holbrook-1923-bucket-hot-rod/6890747786.html
    [​IMG]
    A nice one that has been sitting too long. Clean it up and enjoy 12K
    https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/downey-1923-ford-bucket-coupe-corvette/6886478050.html
    [​IMG]
    One that needs some fixin' but priced to sell. 6K
    Wonder about that R&P and the firewall M/C, and not much info or pics...
    https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/san-diego-1921-ford-model/6888783825.html
    [​IMG]

18. RodStRace

RodStRace

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  19. I like the first two a lot and would make only a couple changes on the second, cowl light removal and reposition head lights. JW

20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would be up for that green one, but I wonder about the DMV fees the buyer is going to be responsible for?

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  21. I too find the Green one a bit nicer. Just wondering about the claim the 283 was bored to 327......301 yes. JW

loudbang likes this.
  22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Yup, then there is the fact that he claims it was a 63 Corvette 283 bored to a 327, I'm not aware that they put a 283 in 63 Vettes! :rolleyes:

23. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is for sale in Missouri. I don't even know where to start...Knock off the ugly or the unsafe. Scary. rat1.jpg rat2.jpg rat3.png rat4.png raty5.png

24. At first glance it reminds me of a Snail !!. Take the good bits and make a whole new project out of it.
    The body mounts and some other engineering (for the want of a better term) bits look like how my RPU was when i got it. :eek: JW

dana barlow, RICH B and loudbang like this.
  25. RodStRace

RodStRace

Justa, I look at the pics and contemplate whether I'd reuse each part or replace.
    I could see reusing the headlights and stands... maybe the radiator. Really nothing there as far as suspension, frame or body.

The Green one really fits the nice 60s vibe, but the Red one looks well-built and could be back-dated with minor changes, too. You could do a lot with the 6K savings on the side yard one, provided it's bones are decent. All 3 seem to have decent seating and steering angles. Remove/replace some questionable parts and enjoy!

Dick, as far as the "CA plates but has not been registered since 2002 - there are some DMV fees waiting for the new owner." CA requires people to register as non-operational or back fees would be required, plus penalties. However, after a few years (7?) it would 'drop off' the registration and you would be able to get most or all fees waived if you were to re-register in California, depending on the clerk. If you were to buy and register in another state, I doubt there would be any back fees. In your case, NE really isn't going to go through the effort to determine CA fees, collect them and then send them off to CA. I've even heard of people 'selling' something that is 3-5 years out across state lines, then 'bringing' it back to avoid fees. Just like the exotics and big dollar RVs that are often registered in Montana (cheap) to avoid state fees. Of course, you have to know the laws and loopholes to avoid doing something illegal!

26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Last sat,looks scary for too days roads!. Neat an clean yellow T,but ackerman is backward,has round tread MC tires on front{maybe less then 1in. of rubber to steer an stop with,an both front tires will fight each other in turn also} an side steer rod has a bit too much bumpsteer do too pitman arm/steering box placemint{ if nothing other then box/arm was wrong/could get away with it.. But with other probs its all scary combo combined. Control is bad at best! That is part of it,is ugly to me,now. Going back to a time in the pass when all the cars on the road only had drums brakes,it was not so bad to be that messed up engineering wise! Still stance is good !

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  27. Lots of room to bend those arms out and even around the discs to at least gain some kind of correct Ackerann..........too hard why try or just don't understand it, yet they can build a complete car .:( JW

dana barlow likes this.