Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "Big block" Ford 4 Cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Desmodromic, May 17, 2019.

1. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I recently ran across a 172 cubic inch displacement Ford 4 cylinder, gasoline fueled, air compressor drive engine at a swap meet, nice and clean, low "mileage", and cheap. Well, it followed me home, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I didn't know anything about them; for all I know, it might have 1" valves, cast iron pistons, a 5 to 1 compression ratio, and weigh 1000 pounds. A little Google research indicated it was used in everything from tractors to road graders. Looks-wise, it could be a good imposter for an overhead converted Model "A" banger. Anyone out there with any knowledge of these engines, and whether they're a practical candidate for hot rod application? Or, should I be looking for a big compressor to attach it to?

A couple of pics of siblings, downloaded from the internet-

fo172ec-6799124gn.jpg 469.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Very popular industrial engine. I have rebuilt several and they have very few problems.
    The last one I did was in a 6 man railroad speeder.
    I don't know of any that have been hot rodded.

Deuces likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The blue one has the look of a 153" GM.
    344" of a V8 doesn't fit anything I know. Bigger valves, custom Pistons and a reground can make anything run better. I have more than one tubing intake.

4. Deuces

Deuces

1000 pounds???... Really???.... No way!:confused:o_O

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Looks pretty interesting. I wonder if it is the same engine as used in the Ford Jeeps that were starting to replace the Willys jeeps in the Army in 62 when I got out.

Deuces likes this.
  6. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Forklift engine..
    Just about bulletproof..
    Heavy..
    Not a lot of HP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I didn't mean to say it weighed that much, it was just in a listing of things I have no knowledge of, and were hopeful of getting responses to. Sorry for the confusion!

8. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I'm quite certain the blue one is a Ford. Ports are on the "driver's" side, like the Chevy, but unlike the Ford 240 six. Google played a little trick on me with the red one, which I think now is an International; didn't notice the manifolds are on the wrong side.

Hnstray and AVater like this.
  9. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

The blue engine looks very similar to the “Red lion” engine in the old Ford 600 tractor I used to have. If I remember correct something like 35 HP.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Looks like it might be a cut down version of a Ford 262 cu in six cylinder.2/3 of 262 = 174.6. This engine was used in heavy Ford trucks 1961 - 1964 and also industrial uses. It was a bored and stroked version of the Ford 223 - 240 six used in cars and light trucks. Apparently they made a companion 4 cylinder for industrial use.

Could be a lot of fun in a light roadster. Some old time engine men believed a big 4 cylinder was the ideal performance engine, Offenhauser for example. A long stroke 4 has a lot of punch when you need it. From other posts it seems they are fairly popular and parts are available. Bellhousing may be standard sixties Ford. In other words a manual trans and bell off a sixties Ford car or pickup may fit.

I doubt very many people would recognize it if you had one in your hot rod. You could probably palm it off as anything you like lol.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    lumpy 63 and AVater like this.
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Later.... Did a little looking on the net. Apparently Ford made this style of 4 cylinder from the fifties up to the mid 70s. Lots are still in service in tractors and industrial apps. They made 134 - 172 - 192 - 256 cu in versions. The 172 had a 3.9" bore and 3.6" stroke. The 192 had the same stroke but bored to 4.125. Parts seem to be available and not very expensive.

It doesn't seem to be related to the six, except for both being made by Ford. The four is more like a tractor engine with removable cylinder sleeves.

Could be a fun project for a Model A, roadster, T bucket or other light car. If you really want to shake things up put one in a Falcon lol.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  12. morac41

morac41

weight would probally more like 450lbs complete A engine just 400lbs

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

That's about the same weight as a Model A engine.