Register now to get rid of these ads!

History quintessential hot rods & customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 17, 2019.

1. I have heard it said that the 1932 Ford is the quintessential hot rod and the 1950 Mercury is the quintessential custom car and both of these cars are iconic in their own right but to my way of thinking there are other cars, hot rods and customs alike that come to mind that are just as important and reverential when it comes to claiming a place in the spotlight.

[​IMG]

When I think of iconic cars that hold a place in the hierarchy of desirable marks the 40 Ford imminently comes to mine as a long revered hot rod as does the 49-51 Fords as some of the coolest customs.

When discussing hot rods no sane person can deny the impact that the Model A has had on our hobby as the entry level hot rod and many of have owned one or more, the 30's through the 50's Chevys have a solid place in hot rodding but also they make great customs.

The terminology, "quintessential" hot rod & custom car has taken on a whole new meaning and I think it is due in part to the mentality of all you guys here. HRP

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think the term "quintessential" in reference to cars was something that the hot rod journalists came up with over the years.
    If they happened to be talking 55 Chevys at that moment or 32 Fords at another time they made it fit the story that day.
    Something that bothers me every time I read it is the term "shoebox", who coined it and why are early 50's Fords called a "shoebox".
    In my view; if any era of car fit the term better it would the Model T, A, and up sedans.
    Thoughts?

3. When I hear the word "quintessential" and then referring to cars, I think of cars that are iconic to anyone. A car that someone who is not into cars at all can recognize. The 32 Ford and 50 Merc are prime examples. At a show a good portion of spectators will think every model A is a 32. A lot of people will mix up a 49-51 Ford or Chevy custom as a Merc. To most of us on here its crazy to think that, but it does happen at the local car show at the Church or Community Center. 57 Chevy's, 59 Caddy's, 64 Impala's are others you could stick the "quintessential" tag on. Later off topic cars would be like a 64-66 Mustang or a 69 Camaro. Most would instantly recognize a late 70's Firebird/Trans Am, IROC Camaro's, Grand National Buick's, Willy's Jeeps, etc.

While those of us that are neck deep into hot rods, customs, muscle cars have more knowledge of various cars, I think when you look at from someone who is not versed or very little is where you could start putting that label on.

robracer1, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quintessential? Pissing match terminology IMHO. Personally I walk past 99% of the 32 fords I see at shows, seems to be as common as mustangs and camaros. Time to go get some wrenching done.

40FORDPU, Stogy, das858 and 2 others like this.

5. This Quintessential comment in relation to Cars is about as important as Red head ver's Blonds when talking about Women.

Texas Webb, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Billy, you are entitled to your opinion, personally I like them all, including 34 Fords! :) HRP

OLSKOOL57 and 3W JOHN like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] It all depends on the era you are interested in, this 23-25 T would have been state of the art in the late 1920's an out and out dirt race car with body and fenders on public roads.

Bob

tb33anda3rd, Deuces, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  8. As an Old Fart, I've always considered the 32 and 40 Ford to be that. The kids 2day call my 2 32's Kool Rat Rods 2017 5 winder Dr Pepper 001.jpg 2019 32 delivery side shot.jpg

9. Slopok

Slopok

That's why the Merc Duce reunion was created.

i.rant, ct1932ford, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  10. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Like it or not the 1932 Ford has always been the image that comes to mind when people talk about historical hot rods.

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Wow. Glad to know I was “quintessential” back 40+ years ago when I had my Mercury coupe. Gave all that up to scrape up some money for a house down payment.

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The first thing that pops into my brain when I think of hot rods is a T-bucket, but I always think of '49-'51 Mercurys when "custom car" is spoken.

Deuces, HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's because most Model A's have 32 grille shells!

14. Graystoke

Graystoke

Amen

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Local car collector Roger Morrison had these two cars in his collection, in which this Tom Fritz painting was created from. Evening_Riders-510x510.jpg

16. Quintessential hotrods for me would be 32 Ford, 40 Ford, Custom 49-51 Merc, and throw in a 55-57 Chevy as a little weekend street racer. Of course I don't own any of those....

17. patterg2003

patterg2003

Besides the usual mentioned the 34 Fords are being overlooked and I would take any version of one.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. With the cost and availability of original 32-34 Fords continue to rise and the advent of reproduction bodys more people are able to own a early Ford if that's what they want. HRP

19. If Mark's model T doesn't scream HOT ROD nothing does! HRP

[​IMG]

20. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I don't know who first called them shoeboxes, but they were the among the "first" of the post-war cars to ditch separate fenders in favor of the "smooth" look of "one-piece: quarter panels.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Seeems to me 62-67 Chevy Novas may become the next 32 Fords.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. As the years go by who's to say that era Chevy may be the most desirable car and '32 Fords can be bought for a dime a dozen, If I'm still alive I will be standing in the discount line. HRP

j3harleys likes this.
  23. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I think the 1932 fords & the 1950 mercs will always be popular.

the 1955,1956 and 1957 chevys my be more popular 50 years from but I wont be around my 1932 might be worth a lot less than I paid for it in 50 years.

HOTRODPRIMER and Slopok like this.
  24. goldmountain

goldmountain

This makes me wonder what is the most popular Mattel's Hot Wheels?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Quintessential [ kwin-tuh-sen-shuh l ] Adjective:

Of the pure and essential essence of something:
    The quintessential Jewish delicatessen. Canter’s in the Fairfax District in L.A.

Of or relating to the most perfect embodiment of something:
    The complete custom car that set the tone for the rest: ALA KART

upload_2020-3-10_4-42-25.png KUSTOMRAMA
    “Ala Kart is a custom car, a customized 1929 Ford Model A roadster pickup, built by George Barris, Richard Peters, and Mike "Blackie" Gejeian in 1957.”

“It is considered by many to be "one of the most iconic hot rods ever built."

Iconic vs Quintessential: related or in the same family

Hello,

How can a custom-built hot rod from 1957 be compared to anything before or afterwards? It set the trend that custom cars have followed in their own style since it was shown at the first Grand National Roadster Show. Who would not want to have that quintessential/iconic roadster pickup sitting in your garage? It was what little kids and their model cars dreamed of when building any hot rod car kit.
    upload_2020-3-10_4-44-38.png

It has gone through many awards, shows and magazine spreads. From rebuilding to restoring, the Ala Kart is still a great example of a true hotrod, custom car.

Quintessential? Yes... Is it an icon of the world of hot rodding and customs? Yes, definitely!!

Jnaki

My brother and I were hot rod fanatics from the very early days and were awe-struck at the sight of the best custom truck on the planet.

“Ala Kart is considered "one of the coolest full-custom trucks ever built" (a sentiment widely shared among customizers, rodders, and fans of both rods and customs) and "more iconic than all the rest."
    upload_2020-3-10_4-46-58.png

26. No '32 Ford, '40 Ford etc. is a Hot Rod of any sort in their stock original condition, same could be said of a '50 Merc. as a custom in its stock original condition.
    What establishes a "Hot Rod" or a "Custom" is the personal attention/transformation done to them by individuals like us.
    That being said, is why we struggle identifying the "quintessential" Hot Rod or Custom as they come in all shapes/makes/styles..but, we know them when we see them.

bowie and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. You have the right picture there!:rolleyes:
    Yes 23 T - 32 Ford -40 Ford - 49 Merc and 55 Chevy I think the Model A was the most used body as well as the 27 T. Certain cars got their place from TV shows like the California kid or 77 Sunset strip. It's all good!:cool:

HOTRODPRIMER and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  28. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Attempts To Define A Quintessential Marque(s) In Our Hobby Is Always A Challenge That Our Eyes Decide... 23167963_1833619313324442_4946326161968662356_n.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Wally Parks hiboy was definitely a hot rod. HRP

04wally600.jpg

LOU WELLS and bowie like this.
  30. I agree, Ala Kart is the ultimate custom. No competition. Roth's Mysterion is the ultimate Kounter Kulture beast.
    hi front.jpg

Pre-war Willys are the undisputed post Korean War rebel rod.
    P5220021.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.