Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Jalopie Racing Balboa Stadium San Diego

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lumpy 63, May 17, 2019.

1. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Here is a cool film I found on YouTube. I don't know how many of you guys have seen this. It is in Balboa Stadium, San Diego. Right behind San Diego High School where I went to school. :D

2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There were a ton of photos from Balboa Stadium that were shot by Bob Hardee. Unfortunately, the negatives were tossed when Bob passed away, including shots from the Paradise Mesa drag strip. I went to Hoover!

lumpy 63 likes this.
  3. Very cool video if you mute the sound.

Mick

lumpy 63 likes this.
  4. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Sorry I should have warned you guys of the crap musico_O

5. That ain't music it's noise!

The video is cool. HRP

lumpy 63 likes this.
  6. toml24

toml24

I produced some vintage jalopy VHS tapes in my past, about 12 hours worth, and while these home movies of Balboa stadium are priceless, that music is so, so wrong and very painful to listen to. In the hands of a person who has some deluxe editing software with hours of quality vintage instrumental music a very high quality product could be made.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

While I really love dirt racing, so many cool cars were destroyed in the post WWII days of oval track racing. Weep.

8. toml24

toml24

What is forgotten is back in the early to mid 1950's, a 1932 Ford could be purchased for $5.00 in Southern California. A junk or discarded Deuce was as common as a discarded Amazon box in 2019, If there had never been the jalopy era the 1932 Ford would have the same historical value and significance today as a 1970 Ford Pinto.

9. Either that or else they would all be steel instead of plastic.

10. deucemac

deucemac

All V860 cars. WA this the USA BLue circuit?

11. Thanks for posting. I spent many Sat nights at Balboa Stadium in those days.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  12. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Just stumbled on this. My Dad took me to the jalopy races at Balboa Stadium back in the day. My first car was a 1936 Ford pickup that had been a push truck at the stadium. 48 Mercury engine, 39 box and rear end, juice brakes. It was the first of three ive owned. Sold the last one 2 years ago. Just to big for them any more. Picture is the most recent one.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lumpy 63 and jnaki like this.
  13. Charliedog

Charliedog
    from Seattle WA

14. Charliedog

Charliedog
    from Seattle WA

My father also use to take me and brother to the races it was the most fun thing us boys use to do with my father. I also played football in that stadium when I went to Lincoln High School. San Diego High was our big rivalry.

Rramjet1 likes this.