Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Forgetfulness is a Terrible Thing.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, May 17, 2019.

1. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have one better than that. When I was building my convertible I misplaced my pocket tape measure. 3 or 4 years ago I was doing some work under the hood of the car and was at the back of the engine doing something and lo and behold there was my pocket tape on the engine block at the rear behind the intake. There was over 12,000 miles on the car then. I can't believe it stayed there all that time.

Sandgroper, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Another cap story popped in this AM, Racing my Dad's Midget 70's,(Dad was in his late 50's) ran the semi which I won, we rushed to get ready for feature, push off, idling around and my back is getting wet and cold (alkohol fuel), thinking Dad forgot to put fuel tank cap on, I pop my belts loose and stop, Dad puts cap on while I redo belts, at this time the rule was, once pushed off, no stopping for any reason other than safety a issue, pushed off again and worked up to midpack, all in all a good night and memory.Thank You to the HAMB, wakes my old brain up every AM

Hnstray, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. robracer1

robracer1

I walk into a room and forget why I'm there or what I'm looking for, so I think I'll go back to the room I just left and maybe it help me to remember so I walk into that room look around and think what the hell why am I in this room. This goes on a couple of times and I give up!
    I go to the grocery store and the check out person ask did you find everything your looking for and I say if I had remembered to make a list I would have gotten every thing I was looking for, then I say I'll probably be back today and sure enough may go back a couple times.
    I'm almost sure someone is borrowing my tools because they keep disappearing and reappearing?
    I'm sure there is more but I can remember them.

John Heckman, LAROKE, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that's a really nice riding car:)

i.rant, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Forgetting stuff can potentially get you or someone else hurt when it comes to our cars, when we were building the wagon we tacked the rear spring pads to the axle and moved on to other task, over the next few days we mentioned that we needed to go back and weld them up.

As the build progress I/we forgot about the rear axle and dropped the body on the frame, a few years later the car was finished and time for the first shake down, every thing went smooth and we were ready for our first road trip, I drove the wagon to Knoxville, Tennessee and around town for the next few months, until I was coming home from a club picnic and on a back road a gaggle of cone-headed bicycles ignored a stop sign and pulled out in front of me, they were lucky I had good brakes!

After they had gotten across the road I shoved the shifter in first gear only to have the car shake violently when I released the clutch, I eased the car home never getting about 25 MPH.

I was sure I had a U joint problem but that wasn't it, then I concluded it was a transmission problem so I call my friend Chris that builds transmissions and he came with his roll back and hauled it to his shop in Greenville, about two hours later he call and told me my car was ready to be picked up.

I ask him how did he get the transmission repaired so fast and that's when he told me when he picked the car up with his lift he noticed the rear axle pads we no longer attached to the axle.

On our way over to pick up the car I started thinking about how far I drove the car with those pad just tacked in place, approximately 2000 miles, through the mountains and rough roads around home.

It was a pretty good tack but not meant to be permanent. HRP

49ratfink, LAROKE, Hnstray and 8 others like this.
  6. 62rebel

62rebel

One of the scariest things to me is losing the ability to do what I love. Especially if I can remember being able to do it. Got some pills to take care of that eventuality. I'm not living out my life as a burden to my wife.

LAROKE, Hnstray, mkebaird and 3 others like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's half-zimers for me and most of my buds and holding the other half off as long as we can...

Hnstray, mkebaird, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  8. Did the gas cap thing in my roadster once. Tank's in the trunk, and I had filled it right to the top of the neck. Got going and kept smelling gas, which was hard to do in a Roadster with no top. Finally pulled over and found the whole trunk and everything in it soaked. Just a spark away from annihilation. Cap was still laying where I had left it. DUH!!!

9. patterg2003

patterg2003

Yep. Sometimes it scares me when I forget something stupid or just out right forget. Maybe anxiety driven in part by age & don't want to be forgetful. We have moved to a different house so my wife is moving things around to make her self better organized so sometimes I feel like I am losing it as I knew it where it was and can't find it. I told her that she is messing with me so I think that I am losing it. I made my living with my mind and rarely needed a calculator. I can still spin numbers around and spit an answer out to a decimal or 2 before anyone can find a calculator. Just don't ask me where I left my coffee. My defence is to be better organized these days and put things back where they were immediately. Nothing more frustrating that a continual tool hunt with tools that were in my hand minutes ago.
    A couple months ago I had a case of cement head and struggled with memory. It was not until I shut the light off and could not walk straight that I recognized that I had middle ear infections. I get them occasionally and when they are bad it really cripples the processor. It took a couple weeks to start to bounce back and now I am good again. Going full steam. One comfort is that there is or was no dementia in either side of my family. My grand mothers were sharp, a joy to visit & they lived to 96 & 98. Its important to stay socially active and work at maintaining relationships. My friends and I laugh that it takes a group to have one good memory. One will talk about someone we knew or worked with. Then one will remember the guys first name and about an hour later someone will come up with the last name. Now where is than darned coffee?

LAROKE, cktasto, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Dr told me as long as YOU are aware that you are forgetting things, it's ok. We are older. most have some form of sleep apnea, not rested good.Lots on our mind. Still scary though.......

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

Just yesterday. I got out some new shackles to measure for spring hangars. I cleaned and measured the bushing then set about to find some tubing in my stash. Damned if I know what I did with that bushing!! I back tracked and looked everywhere. Thought it might have rolled off the bench, nowhere to be found. Now watch, I'll order new ones and it will show up!
    Happens way too often these days. :(

12. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe just turn it off and leave it there till next time? And one in the trunk and another under the dash.

As long as you can re-trace and find it, all's well...we all do it.

Wait, what's this thread about? :cool:

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. 62rebel

62rebel

Bad as I used to be with math, I was once referred to as Doctor Differential because, for some odd reason, I was able to pop off ratios and what the ring and pinion would have to be. Well; that's gone, now. I used to paint pictures; that's a thing of the past. I find myself avoiding artistic effort more and more.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  14. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I'm surprised I haven't wandered off somewhere I have. CRS,, what I used to do all night now takes all day to do

15. RmK57

RmK57

Whewwww ! Just made my day !

I'll leave little sticky notes on the horn button, such as "no engine oil" "re-torque u-bolts" and so on.
    not that I'd ever forget:rolleyes:

Sandgroper, WB69, patterg2003 and 2 others like this.
  16. Changed the radiator on the O/T and forgot to plug the electric fan back in, partly due to some distracting fit problems. I had some overheating issues and I called the radiator seller to get him to exchange it for another. I found the loose plug when I started to remove the first radiator. :eek: :confused:

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me my long term memory is fine. I can sit here and write out a set of instructions step by step on how to do a task on a vehicle that I haven't done for over 30 years but short term memory has a few glitches.
    I spend more time looking for the tools I laid down somewhere than I do doing a project a lot of the time. fix. I have even run to the store and bought a socket a couple of times because I couldn't find one the right size even though I probably have several.
    I need to carry a pocket note book to remember what I was intending to do when running errands some times. That shopping list needed thing is real.

Sandgroper, mkebaird, X-cpe and 5 others like this.
  18. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

An old friend (rip) told me he thought the brain is like a bucket. It only holds so much and as you get older it gets too filled with years of information, won't hold any more!
    Another buddy his doctor said not remembering where you laid your car keys is ok. Looking at them not knowing what they're FOR is a problem.
    After being retired over 5 years now between construction, gardening, excavation, horses, doctors, bills, family, old cars...bicycles...motorcycle...radios...painting, cleaning, taxes, groceries, pets, bills (did I mention bills already), friends, neighbors, fences, cutting brush-trees-grass, vacation, maintenance,etc., it's hard to remember what I did 10 minutes ago.
    "Today I always find the thing I was looking for yesterday which I now either don't need or bought a duplicate"...my quote.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

19. rjones35

rjones35

I found a Blue Point rechargeable one a couple years ago, obviously somebody forgot under the hood and it fell off. It's pretty beat up, but works great.

20. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I play a "trick" on myself when I misplace something or forget a name...

I say out loud, "I'll remember in a minute"....9 times outa 10, works.

That 10th time could take a day. Take it for a test drive.

21. I do that too, I just called it the Macarena. I like your term better.

LAROKE, Deuces and patterg2003 like this.
  22. oj

oj

in all seriousness, I think we overquestion ourselves as we get older. When we were crazy young-uns we'd forget shit and do stupid stuff all the time and we'd just laugh it off as guy stuff, now we're at age where we're just sure as hell it is alzheimers' setting in on us. Well, most of the time anyway.

Dino 64, bchctybob, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  23. ...............I feel so much better now, oj.:D;)

Dino 64, Hnstray, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  24. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

My pop's had it was very tough to watch his decline. My prayers for your wife, and for you for the strength to deal with it.

Hnstray, Deuces, 48fordnut and 2 others like this.
  25. jim snow

jim snow

Yup I do it all the time. Snowman

26. The only thing golden in old age is in the toilet after you pee.

LAROKE, Hnstray, Sandgroper and 3 others like this.
  27. HEY! That is MY line!:p

Ben

28. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I never forget a face but now I’m lacking in remembering names.
    I don’t have a problem with just ‘fessing up saying “I’m sorry but I’ve forgotten your name”
    No one has ever looked at me like I was idiot afterwards.

osage orange, Hnstray, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  29. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Glasses. Need to take them off to do close up work. I’ll set them down do 5 things and then wonder where the F my glasses are at.
    I guess there is a chip and a phone app that can locate them easily but I’m cheap and stubborn so that ain’t happening.

30. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

At the dollar store buy 30 pair, scatter them everywhere.
    Years ago there was an old guy who ran an upholstery shop in town. His glasses were always pulled up on top of his head. He'd wander around his shop mumbling "Where's muh dahm glahsses" all the time...funny as hell.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and 48fordnut like this.