Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tire Thread/ Interesting Information/ News To Me/You

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, May 17, 2019.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

I recently junked a tire (could not be repaired) on my OT all wheel drive SUV. I had purchased Road Hazard coverage, my first time ever, 3 years ago, 22000 miles. I take wheel and tire to store to see how it works, the sales person after they determined tire not repairable and stated they cannot replace only 1 tire as it's worn past difference allowed, I need all 4 tires, all 4 tires on all wheel vehicles have to same within a tolerance.( Cooper tires 12/32 depth can't be worn past 2/32 mine was 3/32) NOW I'm excited, thinking BS, get me a manager now, one finally shows up and reaffirms what sales person said, but said wait till the Tire dept manager comes in and talk to him. OK I wait 1/2 hour or so and I'm stewing. The man comes to me, I start bitching, He states calmly, Road Hazard replaces all 4 tires at a prorated cost, let me do the math for you. SO.... $530 set of tires plus mt/bal/sensor kits $85, $615 total, 4 new tires on my SUV out the door cost me $138 total, WOW what a deal. I've read stories here about the 5 year tire rule now on tires and my advice to anyone with a all wheel drive on their OT, Buy the road hazard when buying tires. Hope this info is useful, By the way the store was WalMart

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This may have more to do with the ABS system on your SUV. I had to replace one tire on my wife's SUV with about 20k miles, but had to have it shaved to match the other 3 tires for the ABS to function properly.

loudbang, wicarnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. ..........Interesting. I would have never thought of that. Makes sense I suppose.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That's the nice thing about OLD CARS. You can replace one tire and not have to worry about any electronic BS.

And to be quite honest, I always preach against buying the road hazard coverage on tires. Again, especially for old cars that don't get driven as much. They wouldn't be selling the coverage if they weren't making money on it, overall.
    Adding up all the tires I've purchased through the years and considering how many had to be replaced due to damage (very low percentage), I'm much further ahead not paying for the road hazard coverage.
    Just my experience and $.02, for what it's worth.

loudbang, wicarnut and sidevalve8ba like this.

5. xsquiden

xsquiden

It is completly about the awd. The little difference in tire size will make one spin a little faster at least that is what was preached to us at the shop I worked at. Ihave never personally checked myself so I can't comfirm this one way or the other but this post is way off topic.

6. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I saw this at Wally World a couple of years ago , girl came in with a spare on her van ,told she would need to replace all four because of the size difference of the new one. I ask the manager why was she able to drive it in on the spare if size difference was so importatnt , he told me thats what they told him in school.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Wally World tire school,whoda thunk?:confused:

loudbang likes this.
  8. Do some research on modern all wheel drive, it does matter, anyways as said above it’s all off topic anyways

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

xsquiden likes this.
  9. Maybe not so much off topic. A 57 Ford 4X4 pickup, while maybe not quite so sensitive as a new electronic controlled AWD can also suffer ill effects from tires not all being the same diameter. I worked at a dealership one time where the boss's son put new tires on one end of an old Jeep and the different diameter tires locked things up so bad we had to jack up one end to get it back out of 4 wheel drive. Tough on u-joints and other driveline components. Food for thought.

wicarnut, xsquiden and loudbang like this.