Register now to get rid of these ads!

Putting a 32 Header in a 31 Model A w/Lots of Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jan 2, 2009.

1. meats50

meats50

Maybe i missed it, but what exactly did you end up doing with the windshield frame. Im hoping to do this to my A coupe in the near future.

2. I used the top and sides (one piece) from a 32 5w or sedan windshield frame, and the bottom of a Model A windshield frame (to match the curve of the A cowl). The 32 frame bolts together in the bottom left and right corners, whereas the Model A frame bolts together in the upper left and right corners. I chopped the left and right vertical sides of the 32 piece to match the height of my roof chop but kept the angle of the cut at the bottom exactly the way Ford did it in 32. Then I used that angle to mark the cuts on the Model A bottom piece and cut off the sides on the A frame. I then welded the 32 windshield factory L brackets to the Model A bottom piece in a position that would allow them to slide into the 32 channel, and so the front surfaces of the two pieces would be flush. This allowed the two windshield frame sections to bolt together exactly the way a 32 frame does – with four small screws (two on each side of the 32 frame sides). I had to redrill the holes they screw into after the 32 frame section was chopped. After that I just made a template for the glass and had it cut. The top and side rubber is 32 and the bottom rubber is model A. Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  3. Ahotrod.nz

Ahotrod.nz

Thanks for all your explanations on how you've built up your Vicki. I'm curious and wondering what drip rail you used above your doors and how you made it look so perfect. Great Build...:)

4. If you haven't got it already, Pick up a copy of Rodders Journal #75, Daves killer Vicky is on the cover and has a really good write up on it, that he wrote!

kidcampbell71, Stogy and D-Russ like this.
  5. Thank you for the very kind words!
    I modified a pair of 30/31 tudor sedan drip rails. They were much longer than I needed, but I cut them to the right length. I was able to easily bend them length-wise to match the roof profile by hand, and on the ends where they curve downward, I pie cut, bent and then welded them back together. Once they were the right shape and length, I drilled holes every four inches in the flat part and rosette welded them to the body.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Shadow Creek, Ahotrod.nz and Stogy like this.
  6. Thanks for the plug Jason!

Nailhead Jason and Stogy like this.
  7. Great thread.

D-Russ likes this.
  8. Rand Man

Rand Man

I would love to find a 32 windshield header.

9. I found mine on FordBarn. United Pacific and Brookville both sell them.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  10. silent rick

silent rick

wow, has it really been over 12 years since this was posted. seems like yesterday. time is flying man.

29EHV8, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  11. Stop me if this looks familar ! My turn now and seeing I'm eliminating as much wood as possible, the big difference will be me trying to retain the stock 32' inner structure. In a weeks time we'll see how this goes. IMG_1102.JPG IMG_1103.JPG

pprather and D-Russ like this.
  12. Never posted a photo of the car painted on this thread.
    D.Russ.Custom.Vicky1.png

13. Mo rust

Mo rust

I've done a Vicky and a coupe so far and I've got a couple more headers for a couple more projects. One challenge I ran into was the curved drip rail. I ended up butting the Vicky drip rail to the curved piece on the header I have and on the coupe I'm building, I've been able to do the same thing. American Pacific sells that style drip rail for the 32 five window with the curve already on each end. If you need one, they are just a little over $200 a pair. On both of mine I also have added the 32 firewall which I think adds as much aesthetically v3.jpg as the header.

milwscruffy, pprather and Rand Man like this.