Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Dodge D100 CSS intro

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by ConradK, May 14, 2019.

1. ConradK

ConradK
    from Austin

Wanted to intro myself - been learning quite a bit from the knowledge on this board for a while now. I've been an 'old speed' fan since I was a teen, which has stayed with me well into the middle years.

I have a '64 Dodge D100 (CSS Utiline) that I've been working on for a few years. I'm trying to stick with vintage mods as much as I can - what I would have done if I got ahold of my uncle's truck in the mid-60s... put a big engine in it and other junkyard pieces.

This truck has a 440/auto conversion, factory bucket seats and console. The buckets are still there, but the original console is long gone and in its place is a '64 Polara console.

So far I have put in a Sid's dropped straight axle and Scarebird disc brake conversion. I would like to put on vintage small-big wheel tire combo - but right now am running police rims and LTX tires.

[​IMG]

I know most folks 'aren't a fan' of the brand or the truck but that's ok, driving old cars I get used to that. :) Anyways - appreciate the knowledge here and hope to see y'all at some point soon.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/76737654@N02/7nRV7z
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    IowaMercMan and 2bubbas like this.
  2. Welcome from a fellow Dodge owner! I love your truck, when you say CSS, do you mean a Custom Sports Special? They were the Dodges with the big blocks, right? We need more pictures and details. The hubcaps are very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. ConradK

ConradK
    from Austin

The big block truck was the dragstrip-ready HPP - it had the long wheel base with factory traction bars. There's a mid-60s Dodge film on YouTube that features the big block truck and focused on the SoCal drag racing scene. I am trying to 'recreate' that theme as much as I can.

This truck started life as a Custom Sports Special, a 'sport truck' package from Dodge that gave you custom dash with factory tach, bucket seats, console, carpeting, dual mirrors. Although there are 3 known CSS Utiline (step-side) in 64-65, this truck was 'nothing special' with a /6-3spd combo. Though one came up for sale about five years ago with a 318-auto.

A prior owner of this truck swapped in a 440-auto but there was a bunch of bailing wire and 'not quite right' to deal with. But that's pretty much the story for everybody here which puts me in good company. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Truckdoctor Andy likes this.

4. ConradK

ConradK
    from Austin

Thanks looking forward to learning as much as I can.