Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical anyone ever think of a fire extinguisher for garage ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Bomber, May 16, 2019.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Wow!!!! I'm really surprised at the remarks and the question. Been fabricating, (cutting, welding, assembling), starting in 1965 and always, always had access to at least (3). Built my (2) car in '95 to build my '34.
    Garage is unusual in that its 45' x 16 so and the FE's to me were as essential as the doors. In fact the (3), are located, one at the big door, one in the center and one at the work bench were installed before any thing else was. These are the largest Home Depot sells also. Iv'e seem fire in a shop, putting out one myself when a acetylene bottle valve, at the bottle went off at the valve. Scary stuff.

2. fuzzface

fuzzface

Yep I have 4 now for the shop . Had 2 but when I got an extra 25% off at the store I brought 2 more.

I keep one that is attached to my rolling work station so it is always in reach . I also keep one eye level by the exit door so anyone can see it just in case. I also have a first aid kit mounted next to that one. not sure why because every time I cut myself bad I grab a fresh rag out of the box and tape it on with electrical tape. I never think of the first aid kit.

Like I said never used the first aid kit but I have had to replace the fire extinguishers a few time. Mine get inspected every year when they come do the fire safety inspection.

3. I have 6 in my 1100 sq ft garage and have used them on separate occasions, one by each door (4) one by lathe, one by welding bench, yes in the Bumps n Bruises garage they are a good thing to have.............

olscrounger likes this.
  4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4 in garage and one in every car.

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have one in my garage, I hope I never need it but you can't be too safe

6. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

My good buddy retired fire caption from Ventura County has convinced me that extinguishers are priority 1 in any shop or car. So I have headed to his sage advice and every year make a trip to Costco and purchase 20 new fire extinguishers for my cars and shops. With his recommendations one placed by the door, 2 others in each of the corners in my main shop. These are mounted on the wall easy to reach and with each fire extinguisher included is a red self adhesive background strip "In Case Of Fire" with is placed on the wall next to each mounted extinguisher. Also my shop is wired with heat and smoke detectors wired directly to a alarm service.

Also in each car I have has a current fully charged extinguisher at the ready. You can have extinguishers recharged but according to the experts those with plastic heads and valves are more likely to loose pressure after refilling. It is better to spend a few more dollars and get metal heads and valves.

Now here is another bit of sage advice from Capt Bob, once you replace an extinguisher take the old one outside light fire and have everyone in your family learn to use it. Another bit of advice is when you are trying to put a fire out AIM at the base of the fire. Most point the spray at the flames, WRONG!!!! at the base to smoother the fire. Even an old one with a little pressure will work as a training aid. Train everyone in your family to understand and know how to extinguish a fire.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

BigChief and alanp561 like this.
  7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

one between the 2 garage doors, one at the man door, one by the welding cart.

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have 2 purple K units in the garage . A 30 lb and a 10 lb . Purple K will stop the flames in Hell from burning .

alanp561 likes this.
  9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have three. It’s a one car garage. Make sure they’re mounted where you can see them easily, and get at them quickly.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

The fire extinguisher is the only thing I can find easily in the shop. Up to date and always ready if needed

11. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I have them scattered all over the garage, especially by doors, certain equipment.
    If I do something major with fuel like a gas tank, I'll have one ready with the wife! Her Dad was a city fireman so she understands. House also, back porch near panel box, one near each furnace.
    Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms house and shop.
    My theory is this...if you have them you'll never use them, if you don't you'll wish you did!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

12. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great topic! i've had one in the kitchen and the garage for years. cheap insurance---and you might get a discount on your homeowner's insurance, too.

13. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I’ve got one on each side of the garage plus when I was doing a lot of welding I’d put the spray nozzle on the hose and bring it up real close . What I want is a automatic suppression system in the laundry room.

14. I have several in my shop ,
    Front and rear drive thru doors ,
    Was driving a bobcat thru the garage and hit the one attached to the bench and ran over it .
    Broke the neck offf!!!
    What a friggin mess !!!
    Put a new back ..

15. j3harleys

j3harleys

I have them in the garage, kitchen, patio and vehicles any place the could be a fire. Most people will never need them but when things go bad they go bad in a hurry. People say I'm over cautious but I always ask myself what if.

16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I always buy the dry powder type that is good for any fire, good reminder though to verify they're still OK and don't need recharged or replaced! Last thing you want is to have to determine which extinguisher to use in time of need!

17. 29moonshine

29moonshine

I got one by each door also check them every 3 mo when the nova caught fire one did not work the 2nd one did

18. ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Same here..... Some time's, MORE is A LOT better!

19. yep....and keep them current.....

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got one mounted on my mig welding cart and one inside the back door of the house right now bur I don't weld cut or grind inside my little one car garage.
    Be careful of worn cuffs on your jeans or pants as I caught the worn into fringe cuff of a pair of jeans on fire the other day while welding up a project and didn't have the dog's water tub close this time. The dogs have the bottom foot of a 55 gallon plastic barrel for their outside water dish and it used to be right next to my shed where I welded and cut out in front of and I stuck a flaming pant leg in it a couple of times. Dog wasn't too happy with me though.

I like that several guys mentioned having one mounted where it was clearly visible next to a door. The last thing any of need to do is play a fast and intense game of where the hell is the damned fire extinguisher.

21. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

22. primed34

primed34

Had one for years but I've never used one. Hope to keep it that way.

23. gene-koning

gene-koning

There is a big one between the garage door and the walk in door. I keep a spray water bottle close by when I'm welding on a car.
    In the 25 years I've been in business, I've used 3 of the big extinguishers. Around here, its cheaper to buy new ones then recharge an old one. I check it every couple of months, and replace it every 5 years. Gene

24. Have one in both the attached garage and the detached one out back. But now that you have brought it up, I need to get new ones.

25. David Gersic likes this.
  26. ConradK

ConradK
    from Austin

I agree on the multiple approach. Often the extinguishers don’t spray as much as you think.

I’ve bought into the HalGuard and similar non-corrosive extinguishers to keep in the vehicles. They are more expensive than a Kiddie though.

Many years ago the electric oven in our kitchen caught on fire and my wife used the dry chemical extinguisher I had bought. Effective but boy what a mess that was. I do keep a 20 pound kiddie chemical extinguisher outside with me when welding and working around fuel.

And yes as a teen I caught a car on fire while working on wiring under the dash, having not disconnected the battery. Very embarrassing not to mention an ER visit to remove the wiring vinyl from my hand.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. I have had a fire extinguisher in the garage since about forever. I thought everyone had one.

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good to have one outside of garage too - if fire happens in a closed garage, and you are not inside, need to be very cautious when opening a door

chriseakin likes this.
  29. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

One in the shop one in the kitchen one if the coupe and camaro. Can’t have enough. Never know until it’s too late if you don’t have one

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

If you have an old Kidde FE check the number on their web site. Millions are being recalled and replaced free. Got my parents a new one to replace one that was at least 10 years old.